Battleborn, new Moba/FPS from 2k games

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by teapot, July 8, 2014.

1. teapot

teapot Post Master General

Today, the creators of Borderlands announced their new game Battleborn, which is billed as a co-op and competitive multiplayer game that combines Moba and FPS elements. Obviously I feel the MNC community would be interested in it. I hope to reach out to them in the future in an attempt to get a better feel of just how they feel Moba's and FPS's should be combined. I personally hope it leans more towards MNC rather than SMNC.

Here's the article, trailer, and press release.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/07/08/borderlands-studio-mixes-moba-and-fps-in-battleborn/
    naka333 likes this.
  2. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

looks neat. hopefully it'll have more than 5 heroes
  3. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I'd be happy with 6 pros.

I didn't like Borderlands, but I'll keep an eye out for this. If I smell an item build system though I'm jumping ship.
  4. teapot

teapot Post Master General

I could care less about the number of pro's, maps, items etc as long as the game has a solid competitive core, and is balanced properly. MNC is still one of the best games in my opinion and is probably the game with the least amount of content in it.
    naka333 likes this.
  5. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Not looked yet, at work, but tbh I'll only be interested if it has a style and characters that click for me
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

AKA the people who made Aliens Colonial Marines. No thanks. Not even remotely interested but if I was I'd wait until release before getting excited.
  7. kvalheim

That's slightly seperate since Gearbox outsourced that to Timegate, and before that the game had a Duke Nukem Forever kinda history of being passed around between developers for years
  8. Geers

Still their responsibility.
  9. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

10. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

AKA not the people who made it. Read up on the game, then start derailing threads about it.
  11. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

On the other hand, also the studio responsible for two fantastic Borderlands games. It's find to withhold judgement, and most studios are going to have some less stellar products over the year. But that black and white view of a studio based on a single product is a little unfair, at least as someone who's been doing this as long as I have.

I have major respect for the Gearbox crew.
    Gorbles and Remy561 like this.
  12. kvalheim

I'll agree with this though.

I spent most of the beetle section expecting a fart joke to interrupt and the real trailer to begin.
  13. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I have no real opinion yet on Battleborn. Reserving judgement until I can see a let's play video or two. :)
  14. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

What's wrong with an item system? It's a great way to add depth into the game.
  15. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

They did more than outsource the project, they took budget money from C.M. and put it into Borderlands 2.
    Which is a downright unacceptable practice on Pitchford's part.
    Sure Borderlands 2 ended up good, but still. Total **** move.
  16. kvalheim

The end all is that the entire project was completely mismanaged and the fact a product even came out at the end is a complete shock
  17. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Same here ;)
  18. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Item based progression tends to be pretty piss poor in multiplayer, since I can't kill your items.

Real RTS's let you kill units and buildings a person has built.
    Arena FPS's make you drop weapons when you die.
    Other multilayer games I can think of are difficult to compare to traditional mobay games, but I'm open to suggestions.

I can't kill a persons items in a traditional moba, and they generally reenforce pretty bland counters and easily turn into snowballing.

"Oh, he's got an invis item, I need invis seeing powder"
    "Oh, he's building phys attack, better go phys defense or phys reflect"
    vs
    "He activated a death monster, I better kill it before it eats my turrets"
    "Oh, he's got jui-I mean super mode, I better focus him down or avoid him to force a wasted bar"

Consumables I'm generally fine with, but stat items and whatever are generally poorly implemented. I'd rather counter what you do than what you have, and I'd rather positioning and thought matter more than stats and items.
  19. Geers

I see your point but it's not just that the game was horrible, it's that the advertising flat-out lied. I'm not sure of this myself but I've heard people say that the screenshots on Steam are still misrepresentative of the game.
  20. killien

killien Active Member

If I remember right, Gearbox scrapped most of what TG did