Balance Mods and Matchmaking

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by 23chxt, August 8, 2014.

1. 23chxt

23chxt New Member

So, currently, we have 3 different game balance, the Vanilla, the Realm and the Statera. This generates 3 types of players in the multiplayer thing. (ofc we can play one type than switch to other, etc.).

How this is going to happen with the future matchmaking?? I guess the future MM could be:

-There will be 3 different MM for each mods (or more if another balance mod get popular)? And segregate the community, or; (Not my favorite one)

-Unite this 3 into one, and go only with that one? (my favorite one!!!)

The last one will increase the number of players playing the same game, generating better balance, stronger community, and so on.

What the devs think about this? And you guys?

ps: Sorry for the bad english.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Eventually were hoping to get it so that modded games show up in the server list by default, Uber's said they may do it when mods become more big/finished.
    drz1 likes this.
  3. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I don't mind having multiple balance mods, as long as it tells you in the lobbies, or on the multiplayer game list, which one is active. I actually really like the idea of Uber encouraging having different balance mods in rotation, so that people are kept on their toes. Au least until a unified "best balance EVA, SRSLY" patch is uploaded ;)
  4. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Yeah! It's a possibility. The thing that keeps me awake at night about having them shown by default is if someone creates some sort of Nightmare Mod where bots look like penises or something.
  5. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Now I have an idea...
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Perhaps mods have some sort of approval process before they can be shown by default?
    cdrkf and cwarner7264 like this.
  7. squishypon3

That is true, we are going to go with a mod marketplace, this could be a part of it!
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

.....I really hope you have better reasoning for not making Mods more visible than that.

Mike
    stuart98, zweistein000 and nanolathe like this.
  9. squishypon3

Well he did say it was a possibilty, it doesn't mean no, nor yes, and I think we may have come up with a worthy solution. (implying someone had time to check out the details if a mod before allowing it to be put on the mod marketplace.)
  10. KNight

I wasn't commenting on the feasibility, merely the reasoning Brad specifically mentioned.

Mike
    zweistein000 and nanolathe like this.
  11. 23chxt

23chxt New Member

But I think this balance mods will separate the players, and this is not good for "growing" the game.

I saw that now, we have tournaments of Statera, of Vanila and Realm. And this tournaments isnt full, cuz of the segregation. "x" only plays Realm, "y" only plays Vanilla.

That way, I think this game is going to be Mods based. This is good, but I think the "pro-scene" or alike, will not emerge.

There is no way for picking 1 game type (like the vanilla) and make this the tournament version???
  12. BradNicholson

I was SO serious.

Edit: but, the point was this: we've had conversations in the past about wanting to ensure that new players get the actual Planetary Annihilation experience before jumping into the thriving mod scene. Doesn't mean that we won't forever keep mods as not-Default.
    ArchieBuld and drz1 like this.
  13. KNight

I'm more concerned with your proposed solution to the problem, if you don't want people "tricked" into playing playing specific mods the solution is to have that information readily available in the Lobby and other elements along those lines, not to hide all mod lobbies.

Mike
  14. BradNicholson

Who said anything about tricks? Or not having readily available information?
    drz1 and FSN1977 like this.
  15. KNight

The tricks was in reference to playings accidentally playing your "Nightmare Mod" scenario, kind of the same way that some players are setting themselves and Eco Bonus without setting it for the other player in the lobby currently.

Your comment;

"The thing that keeps me awake at night about having them shown by default is if someone creates some sort of Nightmare Mod where bots look like penises or something."

Makes it sound as if you don't want the Lobbies readily viewable. The Problem is that the issue isn't one of Lobbies being viable, the same scenario of players being tricked can still happen because the actual cause of the, is what actually causes the issue issue, the Mod not being clearly labeled in the lobby itself nor the Lobby listing, isn't part of the solution.

Mike
  16. BradNicholson

I guess we're just thinking on two different planes here, my man. We will create great solutions to showing off mod content and mod lobbies, of that I have no doubt. I was just sharing an absurd -- like, the abusrdest -- example of why, from an experiential point of view, giving people the Real Deal first can be advantageous.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I hate to say it but given the average maturity level of people on the web, I think brads 'absurd' situation might not be as far fetched as you think.... I mean even Spring had a few questionable things added (and to some quite significant mods- XTA had an idle animation for the commander that really should never have gotten in there, I'll leave the specifics to your imagination).

The point is I think any system for putting mods up front and center does need some form of aproval process. It isn't really intended for people like you or Nanolathe or any of the excellent guys working on RCBM or Statera. The issue is though that once mods become 'mainstream' the idiots are likely to get hold of them.
    websterx01 likes this.
  18. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

I'd soooo play that mod! :rolleyes:
  19. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Balance....either 2 things happen
    1) one balance mod rises to the top and is favored by everyone to use instead of the normal PA game
    2) Uber actually listens to the community, makes the game more fun and balanced and just...'interesting'

Although at the moment i fear it will be #1 because the only changes we see from uber is increasing dox sight range...these are smaller polishing balance changes instead of large sweeping changes similar to what we saw in starcraft where in Beta many things where being changed around and now its small changes, which we are seeing from uber =(
    zweistein000 and epicblaster117 like this.
  20. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

I just wish Uber would listen to the community in terms of the balance so we wouldn't have to complain so much already about the lack of mod visibility.