Backing up mods

Discussion in 'Support!' started by lulamae, November 18, 2017.

1. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

When I installed the latest update, all of my installed mods were gone (except community chat). So I thought it might serve me well to back up the mod files locally so if this happens again I can quickly paste the files in the proper location and be on my way. Digging around, I thought I found the right location of the files in

AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\download\

Looking closer though, I noticed the inclusion of mods that I had installed and uninstalled from a long time ago. Some I had removed over a year ago.

So now I am confused. If these mods never went away, why did none of them show up after the recent update? Or is this no longer where the mod files are in the current release? Is saving these files as a backup as I originally planned a workable idea?

Thanks
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Mikeyh will of course have a better grasp of the detail, but I know that Community Mods uses the PA storage systems (local storage, index db, etc, if you know browser tech) for it's state. Everything it downloads goes to the directory, but it could forget that the file is there. It's not impossible to scan the files, but it is slower, so Community Mods does not do it.
  3. lulamae

@mikeyh - Which file stores the information regarding which community mods I have installed and whether or not they are enabled?
  4. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Community Mods uses local configuration (local storage and indexed DB).

The default directory for local configuration in your PA data directory is:
    • localstore
    https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Planetary_Annihilation_Data_Directory

The download directory is just a cache.
  5. lulamae

Thanks. Twice in 2 weeks I've started PA only to find no mods install besides Community Chat.

I'm thinking about making a copy of this directory to use as a manual restore point in the event this happens again. Is this a feasible approach in your opinion?
  6. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

The more important question is what is clearing your local configuration

If it happens again upload some logs before and after.
  7. lulamae