backbuffer fighting when mouse is focused on window

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by rooly, August 2, 2013.

1. rooly

rooly New Member

I'm using ubuntu 13.04, with the udev symlink (although I oddly get "Could not find libudev." during PA startup).

System specs:
    AMD A10-5800K using IGP
    2GB VRAM
    14GB RAM

I can run the game in windowed mode, except whenever the mouse hovers over the window it looks like the GL backbuffer is getting locked.

I have not disabled compositing yet, but I'll try that next because I noticed a full-screen flicker for the first time a few minutes ago when trying to verify.

*edit*
    Forgot to mention: I'm running fglrx-12 (12.104) from xorg-edgers, but i don't seem to have the ability to install mesa 9.2. I have tried running fglrx-13 with less success (black screen).
    Last edited: August 2, 2013
  2. rooly

rooly New Member

Same issue in XFCE4 with no compositor.

I don't know if i'll be able to take screenshots of this activity but I'll try.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

There is explained how you can fix it:
    viewtopic.php?p=768153#p768153
  4. rooly

rooly New Member

5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's known AMD proprietary drivers problem. You might try to install latest beta drivers and then play around it's settings.
  6. rooly

rooly New Member

And using latest proprietary drivers, with the udev symlink, with tear-free, with vsync always-on, and no catalyst ai.

The issue looks suprisingly similar to backbuffer corruption issues i have experienced before in my own opengl developments.

The problem may be related to the way coherentui renders its overlay, specifically the mouse cursor replacement.

Now may i please revert to stable drivers?
  7. rooly

rooly New Member

I found an interesting behavior that I've never seen before in any other game ever (in my not-insignificant experience): the PA mouse overlay replaces the system cursor with the in-game one.

Note, the vast majority of GL mouse overaly disables hardware mouse drawing and renders a 2d texture at the cursor position inside the GL context. This means the mouse overlay never leaves the window.

PA seems to go contrary to this behavior and replaces the system cursor at the X server level. This allows the overlay to escape the window as long as the cursor origin is inside the window.

Here's a video to this effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw7FpzbalF8