Atari Total annhilation selling for 250 k at min.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by swordy12345, June 21, 2013.

1. swordy12345

swordy12345 Member

2. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Friggin wat?

Bump the hell out of this. Totally needs to be seen by the devs if it hasn't been seen already. If they can secure the rights to Total Annihilation again, it would open HUGE doors in the amount of things they could re-create from the original game without worry of Atari on their asses about copyright.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

4. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

..oh. Well ****. :(
    Doesn't look like the devs are interested, then. That's too bad... They really do deserve it.

I do truely believe being able to implement some of the cooler unit and building designs and names from TA, or even being able to pull out TA2 later.. that would be really nice to see from the creators of the game after losing the rights to something they built.

Now if only this were a perfect world where Chris was still around. :p
  5. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

Too expensive for Uber.
  6. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Isnt 250.000$ pretty cheap for a brand like this ?.

I mean over at Double Fine, Ron or Tim talked about how if they wanted to get the discussion even going about Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle IP it would be like 10.000.000$ just to get talks starting.

I wish more companies would sell out of IP's they dont use instead of hoarding them, Disney is the sole reason we might never get another Monkey Island game. Even though Ron Gilbert really wants to make one :( its such a damn shame.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Compared to other brands maybe, but not when talking about Uber's capacity to spend money on things that don't actually improve the game itself.

Mike
  8. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

As said above, its a lot of money for just the name of a brand. It provides no benefit for anything.
  9. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

TA is such an old brand that only matters to ... well ... pretty much the people who are already on board with PA. :D This was like 15 years ago. The brand is long dead to 99% of the world. Probably my most favorite game ever, but it's just true.

There's nothing particularly "special" about the brand itself - the units are just basic tanks and planes, etc. No Monkeylords or Czars (well, without mods anyway). There isn't much in the way of characters or fiction, exactly. If there was any less story it could be called Gratuitous Robot Battles. The factions are extremely similar, unlike Starcraft or C&C. There really isn't much to the property in that sense.

My point is that Uber is already using the best parts of TA (including the word Annihilation!) All that basic stuff of the game came together in such a special way that wasn't quite duplicated in SupCom. You don't need the mere words "Total Annihilation" or "Arm" or "Core" or "Krogoth" to revamp that old magic game. That's not what it was about. PA has that same approach going for it and it doesn't cost them an extra $250k.

I do think it would be cool if it were possible to have something like Arm and Core factions, just for the coolness of that, but I'd be surprised if that didn't exist anyway within a couple years of the retail release (via the mod community).

Again though, all I want to see is the source code for TA released. I'd love to see the mod community go nuts over that at the 11th hour.
  10. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

That $250,000 could go to hiring a few people to work on SMNC for a year :D
  11. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Would be a waste of money...PA is shaping up to be better than TA & the units are basically the same just a different look. Would much rather Uber come up with their own set of cool specialized units like supreme commander did. I feel like supcom had cooler units than TA.