Asteroid update Game breakingly bugs! units cannot go to a moving planet!

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by stylisticsagittarius, August 2, 2015.

1. stylisticsagittarius

stylisticsagittarius Active Member

First id'like to say that the asteroid update is awsome! don't get me wrong on this one.
    However there are some MAJOR problems with it now...

1-Biggest problem:
    You can shoot nothing to a planet that is moving, this means that when an asteroid is targetting you there is litterly nothing that you can do against it, no nukes no uber canons not even orbital itself can even get tasked to the planet to prevent0+ the doom from happening (units that where on it's way before the planets launch still arrive but that's it...). For some reason it is perfectly possible to shoot/move units from a moving planet but not to one.

2-Even the smallest of planets instantly destroys the largest planet available, this makes no1 an even bigger problem! Same way around shooting the largest of planets to the smallest also destroys the large planet.

3-the spawned asteroids only need 1 halley to be activated, waaaay to cheap.

These problems making the annihalazer quite useless in a map where an asteroid belt is present and any game very very short, since small asteroids are also easily defended against orbital invasions..

Possible solutions:

a- Return the planetary targeting system back the way it was: large planets survive smaller planets also choose where the planet should impact.

b- Everything should be able to get to a moving target (orbital, unit cannons, nukes).

c- Make the asteroid belt configurable in map editor how many halley's are needed for launch (default 3).

d- In the original kickstarter trailer we saw nukes or anti-nukes defend against a planetary impact, perhaps this could be added somehow. (to make nukes even more fun perhaps they could create a crater in the planet altering it's surface but that's no longer part of this topic)
    Elate, wilhelmvx, huangth and 5 others like this.
  2. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

This shouldn't really be in support considering aren't actually having a problem with the game itself, but rather the gameplay. someone should move this to general discussion.
  3. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

As much as being able to destroy incoming asteroids opens up the ability to save yourself, i think asteroids are better off being designed to be stalemate breakers..

I do agree that not being able to send units to an already in motion object is a problem but it may not be that easy to do without game breaking bugs, like commanders and units that never land and just end up chasing the planet/asteroid instead through space until it impacts anyway.
  4. stylisticsagittarius

Well perhaps it may be but the general discussions seems to handle everything now, and units not being able to send to a moving planet definetly sounds like a bug to me!
    sgrock likes this.
  5. stylisticsagittarius

p.s. also some nice ideas:

6. ooddball

ooddball Member

iam like why do the community have to tell something that should be obvious to the developer i mean dont they play the game them self
    stylisticsagittarius likes this.
  7. stylisticsagittarius

for as far as i have seen am i the first to report this problem, all the others only talk about the instant destruction issue. Perhaps the dev's don't know this and that's why we have to tell them;). Sure the dev's play the game as well but many other people will try other things the dev's maybe didn't think about perfectly understandable.

+basic issue if many players report the same problem then the dev's will try to fix it, if everyone stays annoyed and don't talk about it the dev's think it's fine ;). and we don't want them to think that when it's not.
  8. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

But they don't need to instawipe planets; they can just act like huge nukes and that way they wouldn't make both halleyable planets and to a lesser extent, nukes, completely obsolete.
  9. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Asteroids are stalemate breakers. The current orbital gameplay is literally about who can get to an unbreakable planet first, unless you play super aggressive.

'roids that spawn about 15 minutes in help to bring those fortress worlds to an end.

1 Halley is perfect, imho. More than that and it starts to become questionable as to why you'd use it. More than one Halley and the enemy will have enough time to utterly wreck whatever you have on that asteroid.
  10. mered4

problems with that system (since we've had it for months before the asteroid update):

Nukes become questionable when you can perma-wipe a portion of a planet's area for about the same price without a counter.
    Stalemates were difficult to break because people would blind fire their planets in the wrong spot.
    You might as well build a nuke farm - it's cheaper than using a planet because the enemy won't see it coming from miles away. You can also deal more AoE damage.
    Why waste the metal from that planet if it doesn't destroy the entire planet?

In addition, some planet's smash craters were just too damn small, which meant it was completely insane to use one instead of a nuke.
  11. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

So might as well make asteroids insta wipe so nukes are even less sensible? What? I don't follow this logic.

And yes, a planet SHOULD destroy another planet, you lose all Mexes, all building space, all infrastructure and any planet of any kind should therefore destroy the planet it hits. I've always been for this and I always will be.

The problem is 'roids doing the same.
    sgrock likes this.
  12. mered4

What's the difference? They are just 150 radius moons with a weird shape.
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

So the problem you people are having is balance?
  14. stylisticsagittarius

That's the whole point of countering. You can now do litterly NOTHING against it and thats game breakingly wrong...

1 halley i can still agree to (but it should be configurable in map editor) and planet vs planet always death i can also still agree to. But as long as you can still go to that planet/asteroid once it has launched then you can lure enemies to one spot where you can do them a lot of damage.

Now it's "oh, hit the launch button the only thing you can do now is abandoning your base". without any resistance possible.

I mean, shoot 1 unit cannon full of builders to ana steroid and make sure you have spare resources for the halley, once they arrive they build the damn thing in 10 seconds, you hit fire and it's over.
    This can simply NOT be intended by the dev's and that is still the reason why this thread is in the support section!
    sgrock likes this.
  15. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

The crater system never worked the way we intended it to, so it was decided to go back and annihilate planets upon impact instead; whether from a planet smash, an incoming asteroid, or an annihilaser. We found in playtesting that this made the game fun and entertaining.
    The cost of halleys and the amount of halleys needed for asteroids are something that can be reviewed. This sounds like a balance issue rather than a bug so I've moved this thread to Balance.

For the issue of targeting a moving planet, I'll have someone review it to make sure it's working as intended or if this is a bug.
    klavohunter and Remy561 like this.
  16. stylisticsagittarius

I do hope to get a response soon. If this is actually as intended then i don't get you guys.
    But i'm sure it is meant to be that you can still travel to a planet that is going to target you or at least nuke it!
    sgrock likes this.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think it's worth mentioning that at least some issues can be fixed by better map design. You mention asteroids being easily defended, however they can (and should imo) be delayed entering the system and appear at say 20 mins to break any stalemate situations that may have occurred. A lot of these issues relate to asteroids being available at game start.
  18. Telvi

Telvi Member

yeah i love the asteroids but for me they should be more like an advanced nuke. They should be an uber weapon like moons or the ubercannon, but not that strong. If you have an planet which is totaly covered with defences, and asteroid should help to create an area for your troops.
    So maybe just an explosion radius 2-3 times bigger then a nuke. But no defences againt it no anti nuke to destroy it. And also they should be smaller and highlighted in the map. Now you see the way how they move arround the sun but you have to search them. Even if you find one you'll never 100% sure if its the only one. Ok this makes the game more funny but since you need just one halley to move it, its to hard to do something against beeing anithilated.
    sgrock likes this.
  19. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Asteroids will show up in the planet list (it's in the top right corner - you can click on the arrow to expand it). If there is only one asteroid in the list, then there is only one currently in the game.
  20. Telvi

Telvi Member

oh ok ive never see those things xD