Asteroid Belts - How will they function?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mjshorty, March 6, 2015.

1. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Many have asked for Asteroid Belts but how will they function? how will they not lag the server, what gives them "uniqueness" compared to just placing down 3-4 moons and Uber laughably calling them an asteroid belt.

Something to note about asteroids and WHAT they SHOULD NOT do. (subsitute 100 down to 10, because 10 also ruins things)
    - Asteroid Belts cant simulate 100 playable planets, that would just wreck anyones GPU
    - Asteroid Belts cant use 100 playable planets because that would Wreck the UI (System Lists)
    - Asteroid Belts cant use 100 playable planets because that would be one hell of a cat and mouse chase

My suggestions on WHAT they CAN DO
    - They can be placed around planets! jolly good i got myself a saturn!
    Ok Deep stuff
    - If planets from the asteroid belt are destroyed (aKa planet smashers or annihilasers) then when a planet from the asteroid belt is destroyed a new planet will be generated, keeping the max you set pre-game.
    - Set maximum amount of planets generated by the belt to 1-4 (Then let modders set that maximum higher, and blow up their machines in the proccess)
    - Keep them small, just keep them asteroid type terrain and around 200-400 radius (and let modders change the limits, and blow up their machines in the proccess)
    - Planet Smashing Capabilities can be turned on and off (Allow thrusters or no thrusters? and how many? 1-3 per planet set pregame? ;) )

So here is what makes asteroid belts add to gameplay, unlike everything else, where you remove sections of the map (aka planets) from the game, the asteroid belts will be able to generate new planets on the fly. ok jeeze that sounds heavy on the machine, so will have to keep it small :confused: And maybe gameplay wise take a minute to generate a new planet instead of instantly to also give the machines some relief :p
  2. cynischizm

cynischizm Active Member

I think they could work as simply lumps floating in an orbital layer only ring either around a planet or around the sun at any radius. Would work like a ring shaped gas planet.

Any orbital unit can sit there but building options are limited:
    1) strip mining platform - like a metal jig (with jigs moved to energy only)
    2) asteroid halley - fires a single asteroid from the belt at another planet
    3) anchor - for defending miners
    dmorchard likes this.