Assaults and Accuracy?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Strategy and Tactics' started by wazupwiop, January 22, 2011.

1. wazupwiop

wazupwiop New Member

I was wondering how much people thought accuracy helped as assault. When I play assault, 75% of my battles are at medium or medium-close range, thus the need for accuracy is limited, and the need for armor and RoF is great. When I am fighting long-ranged battles, I am always using the grenade launcher. Today I switched from Armor/RoF/Accuracy to Armor/RoF/Clip, and I did so much better because I was able to put out more bullets quicker than most others. In fact, I went from 16-15-8 with my previous build, to 28-15-5 with my new build. I don't think people are using the grenade launcher to its full potential, which leads to a perceived need for accuracy on the assault rifle to make up for its default lacking long-range capabilities due to bullet spread.

My question to everyone is: "Is accuracy necessary for an assault if one uses the grenade launcher to its full potential for long-ranged battles?"

Discuss.
  2. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

i was going to state that the damage drop for the assault rifle is less over a greater range when you use accuracy, but Scathis has proven this wrong.

so idk what would make it so good. my only other arguement is that i use it, as well as the grenade launcher. and Teo uses it. Teo using it is already /thread
  3. Deadpool FTW

Deadpool FTW New Member

I might sound stupid for saying this, but what good are your bullets if they don't hit anything? I find if i don't use accuracy then none of my bullets hit even at close range. I just use it so I can actually hit something.
  4. SHStiger

SHStiger New Member

Be able to shoot better at midrange without using the LT/limiting mobility.
    majinstrach likes this.
  5. wazupwiop

wazupwiop New Member

One thing that I have been noticing is that people always complain about using the LT, even Xenonox complains about it. Now using LT for the AR is not always a brilliant idea, but I beat accuracy assaults all the time because I strafe, hold LT, then empty a 35-round clip into their face. My style is kind of like a strafe-quickscope method of taking down opponents. I hold LT when I really want my bullets to count, and it works for me. I got a triple kill on a gunner, tank, and assault yesterday without juicing. I was on the L bridges on spunky and they all three jumped up right on my bomb I had laid at the top of the landing. They began jumping and I blew up my bomb. The assault went way, way off the map. The gunner went really, really high into the air and landed behind me to be finished off by a few bullets to the face. The tank landed about half way down the bridge and was finished of by one clip of the AR. I had the jump on them all, but I probably wouldn't have survived without Gold armor or bronze clip. I finished with about half health and I strafed and LT'd the entire time.
  6. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

if the assaults your facing arent strifing, then they wouldnt even win with bacon.

and thats a horrible fail.
  7. IPUR3 EVIL

IPUR3 EVIL New Member

I use
    acc
    rof
    clip

Had some really good games with that set up, there is a damage drop off after mid range but you will still do a tiny tiny amount of damage.
  8. wazupwiop

wazupwiop New Member

After more playing, I examined my play style some more. I think the reason why I don't need accuracy is because I normally surprise my opponents. I was on the Spunky L bridges again, and I got 15 kills just from using the ejector to surprise and weaken people, then I finished with the assault rifle. It is a basic strategy, but if you can get behind your enemies with access to an ejector, you can easily ring out and/or kill 3 people at a time.

If I am not using the ejector, I usually am right behind my enemies while they are shooting at my bots or team mates. By time they turn around, they are half dead, reloading, and about to be finished off with a charge.

My style mainly revolves around me getting right behind somebody and ambushing them. I don't need accuracy for ambushes. Anytime I have to shoot long range, my grenade launcher does much better damage at medium-long and long ranges than the AR. A lot of my battles are at short range anyway, so armor/rof/clip works for me.

I tried both gold and silver accuracy, then I decided that the maximum I would ever need for the assault would be bronze because I just don't use my assault rifle at long range.
  9. XENONOX

XENONOX New Member

I didn't really gave much thought when people talked about assaults and accuracy so I'll throw in my experience on the subject and hopefully use this as a debatable subject.

Most people believe the accuracy just tightens the spread of bullets on the assault rifle (AR) and it also helps the grenade launcher (GL) shoot at a more desirable, spot with consistency.

The one thing I've noticed about the accuracy on the AR is the improvement of the sweet spot damage range.

In other words, the higher the accuracy, the further your sweet spot for the AR is, and by aiming-down sight (ADS), it can even further improve your effective range.

Let's say the default AR range that's effective is 10 feet, ADS makes the effective range 14 feet.

If so, bronze accuracy by default would be 12 feet, and ADS range would be 18 feet.

And so on.

I mean, obviously these numbers are made up, but when I was playing around with different accuracy endorsements, this is one of the biggest things I've noticed.

So if you're running an armorless build on an assault and you're fighting against an armor'd assault, your spacing against the other assault has to be way better than him to win and that's how most competitive games are.

Spacing. It is very important to be at the correct distance for your weapons to be more effective (thanks to accuracy) and to avoid his effective range.

But obviously that's just in terms of the endorsement spots.

If you ever find yourself ADS as an assault, it better well be targeting unaware pros or defenseless people.

If you ever ADS against another player, say, gunner, then you are not playing the assault to it's full potential.

Let me add small info that most players do but neglect in terms of discussion.

You know how you play gunner, revving your gun makes you slow and immobile right? If you jump, jetpack, you would be moving at normal speed while in air. At this moment, you may rev your gun, shoot, and move at default speed.

Same with the assault, I will jump, ADS, and shoot so I can keep my mobility, make myself difficult to hit, and do as much damage as I can and decide if I should A) continue to fight, B) run, and how to run with the highest success rate, and C) mind games.

All these are just small generation of topics that I would love to add to my videos but obviously 15-20 minutes just isn't enough.

People may correct me if I'm wrong on any information I've provided.

I can make a video about the accuracy sweet spot range on the AR if required. I have played enough assault to notice this and it won't be difficult making the video in the hallway of Spunky Cola since there are lines on the ground to allow player/dummy placement consistency.

Amen.
  10. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

Scathis says your wrong. i thought this was right too tho. but he said accuracy didnt affect damage drop off, or give your gun a longer range without drop in damage.

i was so sure that the range was better without trading damage on a assault rifle or minigun, as long as it was endorsed with accuracy. but here is the link...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6645&start=10

zoning is already important for assaults, you need to be in range for your assault rifle to do good damage, without being so close that the enemy can also do good damage, AND you need to have advantage of suprise and cover. getting the range right on the assault rifle, and trying mostly for hit-and-run and ambushes or fighting from cover, makes you a skilled assault. that, AND PUSHING BOTS AND DAMAGING ENEMY TURRETS!

and IF we are right about accuracy increasing the range an assault rifle can effectively damage an opponent at, then zoning is also important for assault builds for different playstyles, as well as assault-vs-assault games. high accuracy endorsements would mean you need to extend the range you engage a pro at even farther, making you even safer. against a assault with armor instead of accuracy, you would try to out-range him, so you can do 4x more damage than him even tho you have only 2/3 his max health, and you would win. and if you are going against an assault with accuracy endorsement when your using armor endorsement, then you would try to hide until your within your range of damage, because if you are also close enough to effectively damage with the assault rifle, then you will each do the same damage and the armor will outlast the opponent in that gunfight
  11. XENONOX

XENONOX New Member

That's particular to know that they said the way accuracy works is false.

It's probably true if they say it is false, but one thing for sure is that ADS does increase the effective range, which is probably why I may made this false assaumption.

Nonetheless, I'll go do some test myself.

Amen.
  12. IPUR3 EVIL

IPUR3 EVIL New Member

Make a video XENONOX, i would like to see the differences in accuracy builds.

Amen.
  13. wazupwiop

wazupwiop New Member

So the question is: "What is the best effective range?" My only dispute to the "sweet spot" damage thing is what would be the best effective range to choose. I could choose Gold Accuracy and my "sweet spot" might be 14 to 20 feet, but you are not always going to be taking enemies on between 14 and 20 feet. Most of the time, I am shooting them at less than 10 feet (about the distance of a charge in my mind), not 20 or 30 feet.

I think it would be interesting to try this accuracy thing with gunner as well. I have noticed that when I play gunner, I am easily outgunned by assaults at the beginning of the game, but after dual miniguns, I am nearly invincible when we start shooting each other at the same time.
  14. wazupwiop

wazupwiop New Member

I just had another thought about accuracy if it works the way as described. If a person went with silver accuracy, they could really have gold and bronze accuracy as well. What I mean by that is when you zoom in with LT, you have gold accuracy basically. When you are walking, you will obviously have silver accuracy, then when you fly you will have bronze. This could work in your favor because you could start out zooming in, increasing your effective range distance. Then as the enemy gets closer to you, you could switch to regular shooting to decrease your effective distance, moving your sweet spot closer to you. Then when you are within charging range, you could easily fly and decrease your effective range even more. Tell me what you think of this strategy.
  15. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

zooming and deploying bumps your accuracy up by 1 endorsement
  16. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

Are you talking as if the enemy is moving closer to you and you stop using your alt. ads? Because if that's the case, you've already got the drop on them don't you? You'll either win because you have the health advantage by that point or they really should try running away.

I was under the assumption that the assault rifle is simply stronger at close/medium range and loses damage over long distances, not like a sweet spot like the moving bar power gauge in some golf game. I don't think you need to fly or purposely decrease your accuracy reticule to change the "sweet spot".

Then again, I don't play assault all the time. I normally play assassin or tank. What do I know?
  17. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

its easier to hit someone close to you with less accuracy is all.
  18. CosmicGreat1

CosmicGreat1 New Member

Depends on play style, like some guy said, it's not really important for ambush type Assaults, although I find I do better with Accuracy than with clip, got my first uber streak running Rof, Armor, and Acc, Accuracy makes it easier to catch fleeing opponents running back to base.

Personally I feel the Assaults best perk is Rof, I feel the grenade launcher isn't even a viable threat without it, not to mention with Acc, and Armor and bombs, gunners are rarely a threat, unless ya got a monster like deadeye...
  19. wazupwiop

wazupwiop New Member

I did some testing today to see what was the best build for pro killing as assault. I went to ammo mule and had a default assault stand at one end of the dome building and an assault custom build at the other. I tested them at this distance, zoomed and unzoomed. After this, I moved the default assault on top of the annihilator. I shot him zoomed and unzoomed. I used several different endorsement builds, and I also tested it with gunner. I noticed that the classes that did best against the default assault were the ones that contained RoF and Accuracy for gold and silver endorsements.

I then found the build that consistently worked the best (I will tell you what it is in a minute, but I must finish telling you the rest of the testing process). I took this build and tested it online. I found out that I could easily kill gunners and other assaults, but assassins were able to one-hit kill me with their grapple. Running no armor when there are two assassins on the other team is a recipe for disaster. These tests have lead me to an interesting conclusion.

Before I begin explaining, anytime I say long-range, I mean from one side of the building to the other. When I say close, I mean point blank. When I say medium range, that means one assault standing on the annihilator and one standing at an entrance to the building.

Bronze accuracy does not improve much over the unaffected accuracy, no matter what range. When I tested this at long range, the differences were by a few bullets at best. Shooting from one side to the other side of the building, it really didn't make that much of a difference. Shooting the default assault at close range didn't make that much of a difference with any accuracy build.

BTW, an assault with no armor dies in about 1/2 an AR clip or about 1/6 of a gunner clip when at mid to mid-close range.

The big change in accuracy was when I switched to silver and gold. Silver and Gold accuracy don't affect close-range combat by that much. If you don't believe me, try it yourself. They do, however, affect long-range combat significantly. Silver was able to kill the default assault in about 4 3/4 clips. Gold was able to kill the default assault in slightly more than 4 clips. At mid-range, they each took somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 of a clip to kill the default assault.

The clip test combined with the internet test gave me some things to think about. An assault should be able to kill pros with ease while still having a slight bit of armor. If you keep your spacing right, heavy pros should die fairly quickly. The builds I found to be the most effective were:
    1. RoF/Acc/Armor
    2. Acc/RoF/Armor (my personal favorite)

RoF is disputed among assault users as whether it should be in the Gold or Silver slot. IMO, I found it to be best in the silver slot, because gold doesn't make that much of a difference on the AR.

Accuracy made a huge difference vs. tanks and gunners. Most gunners are running silver armor..... at best. If you are fighting a gunner with gold accuracy, you are going to have to weaken him up slightly before he starts shooting you. I was able to keep gunners slightly out of their effective ranges so that I could be just inside of mine and do the most damage. Almost every time, I won.

Bronze armor is a must with these builds because you will die easily from bots and assassins without it. I have seen several good no-armor assaults, but I just don't have the same fighting style as them, and this is what worked for me.
  20. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

you sir, are now better than kckzi in my opinion.

wouldnt say anything, but i made a certain thread that they trolled to death. so here i am. hear that trolls? go suck an egg.

and before they say it, i know the assault also has bombs and charge. that would be the only reason to even use gold armor on an assault, as ive said before. you could take down tanks and snipers, probably even gunners without supports, better without armor, and do much better at bots and turrets.

high level play. pfft, word is thrown around too much. its lost its meaning

high level play means play good AT pubs to most people. ohh, i got a mike, it makes me gooohhhdd cuz i work as a team but really i just crutch on gold armor.

gold armor isnt even really much of a crutch, it doesnt beat me 99 out of 100 like the ump45 does, it doesnt even beat me 2/3 the time. anyone i ever play against using gold armor dies as much as i do without. you trade off, thats why its a balanced video game.

but im a n00b, dont listen to me folks.