Assault Gameplay Video for the up and coming assaulter

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat Gameplay Videos' started by Vampwood, February 2, 2011.

1. Vampwood

Vampwood New Member

2. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

really good gameplay, i wish i could be as accurate with a mouse as i was with a controller, takes a while to get used to, subbed

i'd like to see more longer vids but thats just me, will watch them all anyways :)
  3. Providence

Providence New Member

Saw the latest vid, seems like some people don't like you. I suggest that you stop stomping on noobs and play better players!
  4. Vampwood

Vampwood New Member

I play for fun and join whichever server I please :).
  5. Waddle Waddle

Waddle Waddle New Member

Vampwood likes to pick on snipers in ammo mule.

Like a jerk.
  6. Vampwood

Vampwood New Member

More videos going up and soon come a gameplay video with Dual Commentary by myself and OD!
  7. Kordy

Kordy New Member

Bamp, just because he's the guy that actually made me learn from my mistakes.

By killing me over 17 times, but that's okay. I've got two of those.
  8. RARLiViD

RARLiViD New Member

Just in case you people aren't aware, this is the man that single handedly evolved the skill levels of assaults since beta.

And bump =3
  9. Benzin

Benzin New Member

I play with Vamp a lot and his videos are worth watching. He's got a lot of knowledge to give. He's even helped me as support by showing/telling me the strengths and weaknesses of assaults and most importantly learning to stay out of his way. :D
  10. Agrippa

Agrippa New Member

This guy's playstyle and Endorsement builds made me love assault like no other class in the game :p.Bump,this deserves more views!
  11. OD78891

OD78891 New Member

We need some better assaults out there, just like ol' Vampy here.
  12. Riskan

Riskan New Member

Vamp taught me all I know about assault. Now I get snipers crying that I'm camping the ejector bridge by their spawns, and assassins raging about not getting easy kills.
  13. [451]Fireman

[451]Fireman New Member

Stop playing slayer style and push bots for once.

Congrats on being able to kill a bunch but without bots up there you can do nothing. Once your average player skill moves up you can maybe think about going back to slayer because then people will push lanes, but before then you pretty much gotta do it yourself.

You are also very passive on juicing, use it to kill instead of save yourself and you accomplish much more even if you risk more deaths. Heck use it almost immediately in the nearest big cluster after getting it. If you get a few kills you can easily rack up another $500 and just rebuy instantly after. Don't forget to kill bots after to secure territory though.

Also, buy juice. You build up all your cash ... and let it sit there. Not even using the Annihilator. Very bad form.

Additionally upgrade path is very poor given your playstyle... You probably want to boost bomb to 3 before anything else but given that you want to play slayer and extend games do whatever works.

I really dislike players that prefer to extend games instead of trying to crush the other team as soon as possible. Here's a hint: if you like having uberstreak or over 9000 protags you probably fall into this category. It means you care more about looking good then winning. Or just stay pubstar style player forever... Your choice.

Use your idle time to kill bots. Even 2-3 grenades on Black Jacks is enough to build contain. Ideally you want far more pressure on their base with grenade launcher spam on their bot spawns and clusters of enemies at long range. Don't bother shooting the bots with the rifle, just a huge waste of time. Spam that grenade launcher. Best damn gun the Assault has.
  14. Vampwood

Vampwood New Member

I strive for map control, I do on occasion kill the bots to help push the lane quicker but when I commonly have an assassin who is on bot duty there is no need for me to help push them, assault isn't very good at killing bots especially without gold RoF. Reason why I don't use juice as soon as I get it, whats the point, sure I get a few kills with it but if I really need it at a certain point to either save a bro or save myself I can't. The whole point of my playstyle is to make the enemy team focus on me so my teammates are free to do whatever they want (Very similar to XENO's stance on map control) while I take the brunt of the pros. Seems like you are just a win happy fellow, when I don't really have to try hard and don't wish to play to win instead of fun. Good luck to you :)!
  15. OD78891

OD78891 New Member

@Fireman

As Vamp has said, the assault is absolutely terrible at slaying bots, it takes too long to kill them with the GL and it's a waste of a bomb when it doesn't even kill most of them in one bang.

The assault isn't the kind of character who can push bots that well, he can do bot pushing, but he leaves himself absolutely vulnerable for attacks on pros that he's suppose to deny destroying the bots. If anything, the Assault is to pester enemy bots and turrets, but hardly ever get the chance to fully destroy them by himself (unless juice, but even then it's risky).

As for upgrading to lvl bomb 3 ASAP, not the smartest idea. All he other skills of the Assault are just as important as the bomb, while you may have more killing power with 3, the chances of survivability is cut down when you can't escape your own attack. I prefer to upgrade everything to lvl 2 before I even start working on bomb 3, but even then I might change my route of upgrading depending on the situation. If I need the jetpack in certain maps like Spunky or GrenadeIII, then lvl 3 increases my chance of getting out and saving my *** in fights.

The bomb is powerful on it's own, you just have to aim it right.
  16. Kordy

Kordy New Member

If there's a tank and an assassin on the field, why bother? What does it give you, 3% juice? It's an assault vid, not a sin vid.

Very bad advice for people looking forward to try this build - no access to charge 2, passive 2 and fly 2 gimps mobility/money income much more than any kills bomb3 might provide. Talking from experience here.

With a gold RoF, maybe. With a bronze RoF, not quite worth it to waste more than one shell. You're missing his playstyle though - not direct combat, flanking and pressuring from sides if there's a bunch of enemies around.
  17. [451]Fireman

[451]Fireman New Member

Assault is quite good at pushing bot lanes. Somehow people have gotten to a point where they see Assault as a killer only. He certainly is quite good at it! But completely ignoring bots isn't going to do anyone any good.

I clicked through a few videos on his channel and saw the exact same thing in each: fighting in terrible spots for actual map control and never killing bots (or even using extractors or annihilators despite having over $1000!). You say that you have other players to do the (paraphrased) "formality of bot pushing" when you plainly do not. Even with your impressive kill count there is just a huge mess of bots sitting in the middle. Which means all your "map control" isn't working, either because the other players are not good at pushing lanes or just play in the same way as you. I even see you trying to create "map control" when your money ball is down which is not a good idea.

My impression on juicing with your style is that you die with it far more then you actually use it. Even killing a turret with bots nearby would be far preferable to this.

Actual map control comes from locking pros in their base under constant threat of bots. Killing pros can do half of that, you must kill the bots as well.

I play assault(armor/rof/clipsize) about 95% of the time. My upgrade path goes something like Bomb2/Charge2,Bomb3,juice/annihilators/extractors from then on and maybe Passive2. This gives you plenty of purchase power if there is an early ball drop so you can buy juice and hit hard while cutting the fluff that provides minimal benefit.

The grenade launcher, even at silver RoF, is exceptional at doing two things: pro area denial via spam while at the same time killing bots. Hey look, two very important goals with one gun! That's something useful.

Very bad advice for claiming to be helping the "up and coming assaulter". Unless your goal is to create bad assaults?

I still very much dislike people fawning over players that intentionally extend games that are already won. It is very much your choice to not take even minimal risk to kill the money ball and instead go for Uberstreak or something equally worthless. Try to win in 2 minutes. Try to win before overtime. In fact, try to win instead of just camping easy to defend spots that provide minimal benefit to pushing and containing.
  18. Kordy

Kordy New Member

Okay, I admit. I'm TERRIFIED by slimbots. I become a WUSSY when I see one.
  19. Vampwood

Vampwood New Member

Winning in two minutes is not fun, it often causes the other team to leave or cause a stack of teams next round.

What player actually feels scared to leave spawn because of bots?

I don't use silver RoF Grenade launcher, it is not the most reliable weapon due to the hit bug where it does not do damage.

So you play a completely different build and gimp your survivability for more damage early. I do not need juice to perform.

Despite my advice having spawned some of the better assaults this game has seen? I hardly see this as bad advice.

Not sure what you mean by this, I said I don't push bots (often) and I have the people I play with do.

If I force people to fight me I am gaining map control because they can not push forward with me heeding their progress, and if they do not pressure me I am free to use the ejector pad to keep killing their bots. If I can keep 4/6 players from pushing back to my money ball when its down I have done more than enough for my team to protect from the rest of the players. So you based entirely how I play from a "few" games.

You can whine and moan all you want how people are not playing assault the way you envision him, the way I play produces results consistently and when I win 95% of my games and have fun at the same time, the end result is no different, just how you get there. Assault is the anti-pro class at the end of the day, why try to homogenize him into a do everything class and instead focus on what he does best, killing pros.

Pro tip: I don't completely ignore bots. They just are not my focus.
  20. XENONOX

XENONOX New Member

It's true that there needs to be a balance of killing pros and killing bots, the assault just isn't as good as killing bots as some of the other classes in the game.

Besides, why so serious? I'm most certain that killing pros is more fun than killing bots.

Most people want to play a match to it's full duration and if you're winning in 2 minutes, that's call steamrolling, not "playing objectively" because clearly the other team isn't capable of doing so.

Amen.