Assassin Versus Assassin

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Sefam, February 11, 2011.

1. Sefam

Sefam New Member

A simple observations with a few games as Sin. It seems like Sin vs. Sin battles are entirely dependant on who has the gold endorsement(AKA the first one who dies from face grapple+lunge), with the speed both Sins can move, mixed with lag, doesn't make the battle skill dependant rather than gear dependant. Both sins will get grappled, and the one without the armor dies, regardless of how they aim and sowhatnot.

Any thoughts on that?
  2. grimbar

grimbar New Member

How about taking Gold Armour then, also it's most often not the case - the decent assassin will win.
  3. Kel

Kel New Member

I don't die with silver armor face-grappled.
  4. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

I hate ditto matchups in general, but yeah, assassin vs assassin is the worst of them. 2 people spamming lunge, grab, and jump.. outcome is pretty random.
  5. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

If I end up in a post-face-stab, double gold armor assassin scenario, I think, "F*ck it" and smoke bomb jump away. I just have to be careful about where I dash and where I smoke bomb jump.

Anything that doesn't die within two seconds of my plans, I just give up and try again some other time.
  6. Sefam

Sefam New Member

But doesn't that make any other endorsement than silver/gold armor useless?

That isn't a choice, that's a calculation at best, because you REQUIRE it if there is an assassin on the opposing team(And since most assassins seem to run gold armor). Other choices should be viable and Sin vs Sin fights should rely on more than "Who has the better gear". The gear should help, but it shouldn't entirely replace skill.
  7. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

Alternatively you can think before you spam and win 90% of the match ups.

Let them lunge
    Jump
    Counter with your own grapple
    Lunge to finish if necessary
    ????
    Profit

Alternatively:
    Dodge their lunge
    Follow up with your own lunge + grapple
    ????
    Profit

Alternatively, alternatively:
    Forget all about grappling
    Lunge + jump slice to kill them while they grapple spam at thin air
    ????
    Profit

Really, it's not rocket science. Most Assassin duels end up in spam because most Assassins are clueless tossers/bints.
  8. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

That's already the case for every class, in every situation. If you pick anything other than gold RoF or Armor, you're doing it wrong.
  9. bhaal177

bhaal177 Member

I run a lot of classes that aren't "vanilla" builds. Like my assault is gold crit, silver skill, and bronze accuracy. I dominate the field with that build because nobody can out DPS me. Not even a gunner if I navigate correctly.

My point is, you don't need gold armor for any class. You can avoid front grapples by jumping like a fiend and listening for the cloak. You should be able to out damage them with most other builds anyways.
  10. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

Actually, I calculated it here and I can tell you that's not true. Gold RoF>Gold Crit.

That said, an assault with your build except gold RoF (check the thread to see why) does 557.1 - 114.3 DPS. It'll take that assault 1.795 to 8.749 seconds to kill a Gold armor Gunner.

That same Gunner with Gold Armor and Silver RoF does 1700 - 450 DPS. It'll take this Gunner 0.29 to 1.1 seconds to kill that same Assault.

I'm too tired to do more maths for other builds, but something tells me this specific statement:

... comes straight from your rectum.
  11. bhaal177

bhaal177 Member

Gunners don't have the mobility of Assaults and generally can't compensate for the amount they bounce around in the first place. With skills to keep them at medium range, than your still able to soak up more damage and dance around enough for them to miss you. Your throwing hypothetical numbers around like they are just going to stand there motionless soaking up every bullet. When in fact, what pro does in the game? Just because you have hypothetical math that doesn't account for everything doesn't mean it doesn't work. Sure, I die more often, but my kill counter is way above and beyond any other Assault classes I've ever built. Plus, when your chipping away at them slowly, they don't expect that huge chunk to destroy them, giving you that much better of an edge.
  12. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

Wait wait, so now it's not that you do more damage, it's that you're more mobile...

That's not what you said earlier, and I quote:

When in fact, you can never out-dps a Gunner. In fact I doubt you can out-DPS a Tank, but I'm not in the mood to do more maths just now, so we'll stick to this one: You will never out-dps a Gunner. Not in a thousand years. That's the Gunner's job.

That said, you think it's hard to hit an assault as a Gunner? If we were talking about the Sniper I could agree. But the Gunner? If you have trouble hitting anyone as a Gunner you probably shouldn't be playing shooters.

Or do you honestly believe that it's easier for the assault to keep the Gunner targeted from 2 to 8 seconds in a row, than it is for the Gunner to keep the Assault targeted from 0.3 to 1 second? Your assault needs to hit my gunner 6 to 8 times as often and if you can hit me, I can hit you.

No, my scientific evidence disproves your original claim that you CAN out damage a gunner. Which you can not. Not by a mile. You CAN kill a Gunner, much like a Gunner can kill you, but you can't out damage him in any way or fashion.

How is that "dominating"?

That says more about you than the build. That said the whole "surprise" issue would be very relevant if you had any way to control it, which you do not. As such, it's not any actual skill, but sheer dumb luck when you do get that extra damage.

If you wanna put it another way, considering equal skill players, if your assault gold Crit build, and my gold RoF assault build go head to head, and given your extra 10% chance of crits, 9 out of 10 times my assault will win. If you get lucky. If you don't and your crits don't trigger or mine trigger at the same time, 10/10 times my build will win.

And as a Gunner, Assaults really are the least of your problems. Ones that try to out damage are roughly about as dangerous as Slims.
  13. Waddle Waddle

Waddle Waddle New Member

How Assassin V Assassin ends up, depending on the skill levels in play:

Low vs Low: First facegrapple wins, neither has +armor.

Med vs Med: They lunge around each other in circles for a while, one grapples a bot on accident and then runs like hell.

High vs High: Whoever pulls the epic lunge to the backgrapple wins, or whoever gets team support first wins.
  14. acanadianguy

acanadianguy New Member

I just usually see Assassins taking turns face grappling each other, until one lunges and wins. :lol:
  15. noxiousg

noxiousg New Member

If an assassin already knows you're present, why go for the kill? You should not treat assassin versus assassin any differently than you would assassin versus any other class. If your opponent knows you're there, you shouldn't go for the kill. Fall back to your teammates for support.
  16. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

Exactly. Why waste time trying to kill someone who's not only as fast and mobile as you but also knows your presence? Your time is better spent on other things like hitting bots for juice and harassing other unaware pros.

Besides, an assassin who wants a kill wants to pick an unfair fight with her mark. If two assassins start lolflailing their swords around and lunging and we start talking about skill, that isn't the point. You're supposed to kill them before they even realize what's happened, make them rage, then make them QQ on some internet forum.
  17. Warskull

Warskull New Member

Silver/Gold armor is widely accepted as mandatory on assassin, run it.
  18. Sefam

Sefam New Member

No. I want choices, not a deem fair "You HAVE to have this" which isn't a choice, it's a calculation of "This gear is better than that gear".

:|
  19. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

You do have a choice. You don't HAVE to use them. But they are statistically the better options. RoF or armor is always the best gold option.