Ask Gray Fox

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by grayfox, August 25, 2012.

?

All Pros, barring exploits, are well balanced. Outliers are within Δ10% overall efficiency.

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Yes, but with greater stretch.

27 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. No

22 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

[​IMG]

As I'm bored in the middle of the night, it seems like a good idea to make an open query thread. You have questions about Balance, Pros, Endorsements, Products, what have you. I have answers. I'll also be putting a poll on here, positing that Pro balance is in a good position.

Too many questions to keep in top post. Scroll away!
    Last edited: August 26, 2012
  2. hotcakes

hotcakes New Member

Why is your Tank guide so horribly WRONG?
  3. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

7000 posts... Where did the time go?
  4. chickenboo

chickenboo New Member

Dear Grayfox

Did you ever play a game against/with me? How would you rate me as a Combat Girl on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being terribad and 10 being that the next rule change should automatically lock me as Combat Girl?
  5. gluteusmaximums

gluteusmaximums New Member

How come Jumpy Spunky was nerfed even though you were you the only one who wanted it nerfed in Chowder testing?
  6. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Where are the gameplay commentaries?
  7. hotcakes

hotcakes New Member

Who decided it was a good idea to nerf Assault's crutch skill?

Are you the reason Megabeth will never get nerfed?
  8. poiuasd

Come on now the charge doesn't spaz out ALL THE TIME while airborne.
  9. hotcakes

hotcakes New Member

I meant Fly.

And that charge bug is a bug.
  10. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

It's old. The Pro Guides were constructed for PAX EAST 2012. Few have been altered since. I'm a bit curious in what particulars you dislike.

I'm comfortable with the time input. Heck, I played WoW for 3.5 years, and I had over 250 days /played on my main. Posts make me practice writing every day, keep me fresh. The elaborate ones are the best, honing my illustrative abilities so I don't lose them in mental atrophy.

I've played nearly two thousand rounds, so it's hard to remember anyone exactly. While I can't say anything of your ability at the moment, I can say your signature is adorable.

I wouldn't say I was the only one. The dev's, at minimum, would have to concur. I will say the Jumpy Spunky nerf is minor. The main thing to take into account is that if the apex of the jump is lessened, the difficulty to hit a jumper is decreased, the jumper must leap closer to some structures to make it over lips, and the jumper will cover less distance mid-air. I'll also note some changes in video games are prodding measures. Minor alterations purely to observe the affect and if there's a benefit/harm. I'd say the "fun" of Jumpy Spunky wasn't nerfed at all, only the escapism.

I could make more, I suppose. Being a little lax at the moment because of college. Have you any requests?

I would consider this skill to be bomb. Do you?

Edit: Ah, you meant fly. Unfortunately, you're going to have to be more specific. Fly has seen MANY alterations over time. Are you referring to the most recent nerf involving bullets and grenades lowering fly time? Remember that this nerf was lessened in intensity as well. Currently, I find assault does fine with Fly 2. Anything above that is just gravy. Fly 4 is where the cheese sets in, but Assault can be knocked down in several ways.

I make a point to play every class at least 10 rounds if they have an alteration in the patch notes. Megabeth is one of lesser played Pros, as I can't stand her base movement speed and long-wait projectile weaponry. The wait isn't as bad as the noise - gives you away entirely as soon as you open fire. I'd answer no, I'm not the reason. I was one of the backers of reducing Megabeth's rocket splash to raise the skill floor. Do you have a particular beef with her now?
  11. poiuasd

Ruh Roh!

You mean when the drain while shooting was introduced? Do you think the drain is still too strong?

Since I'm an Assault main, would be nice to see something with him.
  12. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

Come to think of it, Massive Air may not have even existed when the Pro Guides were written.
  13. chickenboo

chickenboo New Member

Regularity made my sig.

I really like the Basketball kitties. =)
  14. hotcakes

hotcakes New Member

"It's old. The Pro Guides were constructed for PAX EAST 2012. Few have been altered since. I'm a bit curious in what particulars you dislike."

-Remember that you can immolate from the very tip of your gun
    -Most of the product sets listed
    -RoF + Skill but no RoF + Speed

I didn't have success with anything I used from the guide. And then I copied someone's Tank build with RoF/Speed, MM/Inspire/Spunky Lightning, Offense/Defense/Charge and all was well.
  15. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

I used a full speed build before I had the funds to use what I have now, so I could see a speed build working on Tank. Spunky Lightning I'd drop like a sack of rocks, as I loath juice activation products. I like more constant ones. Inspire I veer away from except in TurboCross for similar reasons. O/D/C doesn't sound bad at all. Great for a starter. I figure you could drop more D as you got more comfortable with Tank. Note that without leveling product grenade early, you won't be seeing splits till late game. If things go south and you're scrunched up in base, you're going to miss those nades dearly. O/D/C runs with a strong intention to get ahead and stay ahead.
  16. hotcakes

hotcakes New Member

It's not consistent, but it gives Tank an alternative escape and a way to chase people without using charge.
  17. NegimaSonic

NegimaSonic Active Member

Well I don't know you, but based on the responses, I'll assume your opinions thoughts are respected and have had input on the game. So...

Artemis. How do you feel about her? Her bow damage especially. What about the dual charge, should that be an official feature?

Assassin. Would it really be far fetched to allow her to keep cloak on only during grapples she initiates?
  18. madpony

madpony Member

Most of the pro guides should be reworked, a lot of things have changed since they were written.
    Especially getting grappled during death blossom, for Tank.
  19. hotcakes

hotcakes New Member

Pls no. I'm tired of these fools chasing me everywhere.

Also, do you think knowing map geometry is cheating?
  20. NegimaSonic

NegimaSonic Active Member

Please complain here:
    viewtopic.php?f=45&t=34268

I was under the impression I'm asking this one guy I don't know on his opinion only. No one else's. I specifically want to know what he thinks about this vs "cloak is fine", which it is most of the time, but I can't help but think that's an acceptable improvement suited to her role of chasing you everywhere. In the topic I linked, there's plenty of discussion there. While your opinion is appreciated, I believe it would be better suited to that topic.