Artillery Defense

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by thgr8houdini, March 21, 2013.

1. thgr8houdini

thgr8houdini Member

So, in SC there were defensive structures to shoot down tactical missiles. I was wondering if anyone would think it would be cool to have a structure that could shoot down incoming artillery shells...considering there are high power lasers that have been starting to demonstrate that in RL.
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

as we will probably see no shields in PA, what I kind of like, I think it will be good to have some anti artillery to make long range artillery not overpowered.
  3. ironjawthestrong

ironjawthestrong Member

Like really high energy requirements?

Or long build time?
  4. tugimus

tugimus Member

Point Defense Lasers.

Rapid firing pin point lasers with a great range that consume large amounts of energy. They would have to fire in bursts and cooldown once they hit a certain heat level.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I feel like the terrain, stealth and artillery range will balance out not having anti-artillery.
  6. skynet464

skynet464 New Member

Flack cannons. Lots and lots of flack cannons.
  7. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

The counter to artillery (without shields) is destroying their power or stealth.
  8. thgr8houdini

thgr8houdini Member

I was thinking a point defense laser with very high energy requirements. Maybe with a cool down after so many shots...
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Stealth doesn't stop artillery from landing, and a frontal assault may as well directly attack the artillery.

Long range weapons are going to be crazy good if there's no long term defense option. Ordnance defense makes sense as a way to protect bases from bombardment.
  10. ironjawthestrong

ironjawthestrong Member

I think that having anti-Artillery makes artillery sorta' pointless, if you ask me...

One of the main points of Artillery is to counter turtlers. If the Turtlers ca build Anti-Artillery, then how are you supposed to break them? The whole point is to keep your enemy engaged so that he can't build artillery, so Turtleing only works early-game.
  11. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

Massive resources + more artillery than he can handle. You're going to have 10 times a turtle's income, he's not going to be able to stop you.
  12. thgr8houdini

thgr8houdini Member

I agree that you still need to be able to counter Turtlers. I think you would need to balance it appropriately. The building and operational costs could be high enough and you could impose a duty cycle on it (i.e. shoot down 5 shells and then a 1 minute cool down before it can fire again) to limit effectiveness.

It's not something that would break the game to not have it. TA didn't, and it was an amazing RTS game. However, given that these things are already being developed in our time, seems like something that would be cool to see in-game.
  13. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Also, does it need to be 100% accurate? Say you're shooting a bullet with a bullet, it has to be a fairly fast detection and reaction, and has a a similar inaccuracy as artillery, but to a far less degree. The goal would be to have some % of artillery be able to get past a single defense unit.

Also it could have a limited turret turn rate, then due to spread of the artillery shots, you could make it so that the defense units may be unable to hit every shell, but may be able to catch some percent.

More units would increase the % intercepted, but there would be no way to stop all shots.
  14. redplague

redplague New Member

the best Defense for Artillery is none . :) ,, send scouts to find it ,,, send bots to smash it ... if you fail ,,, build a artillery, if that wont work well ... nuke it =) .. if you still fail ,, smash it weth a asteroid :D
  15. thgr8houdini

thgr8houdini Member

yes...smashing a Turtler with an asteroid is probably a pretty good way to break through!
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Hopefully with no metal fabs turtles won't concentrate as much, making it easier to attack....but not too easy.
  17. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

What turtle allows an attacker to sustain that many mexes? That's why he build artillery in the first place, to cripple the attacker's economy.
  18. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Raids cripple the economy. Artillery reminds a player that they can't win a game by doing nothing.
  19. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

What kind of turtle can reach all across the galaxy from inside his little fortified base? That sounds like a poorly thought out game.
  20. redplague

redplague New Member

yes that's true ,, we all know wat sort of war will happen on a planet,, but how to wage a war between two planets,, that's the big question...

it doesn't matter if you rush or turtle, if your on deferent planets ..

cant wate and see this ... it will be fun :)