Are Volatile Energy plants/Extractors a thing?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mothersmeatloaf, July 13, 2013.

1. mothersmeatloaf

mothersmeatloaf New Member

------------Disclaimer-------------------------
    Hey. So firstly I've never "posted" on a forum anywhere in the internet before so if this is a previously covered topic, or I put it in the wrong section I'm sorry. :? Since I backed the kickstarter way back when and joined the forums, I've just been "creeping" :geek: on all the posts quietly reading them and responding in my head but never in a post. So I'm excited to finally contribute maybe!

ACTUAL TOPIC STARTS HERE

Pardon my accuracy on describing this, but I remember in SC:FA that when say, an energy plant exploded, and it was close to another energy plant, that energy plant took damage because it was marked as "volatile". And I remember how much "fun" it was getting use to not putting all my plants close together because a few good shots and BOOM a big chain reaction.

Any word on if that will be included in PA? Can I make a routine of having nice little close-knit squares out of my plants now or should I learn to space them out.

2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I hope this is added, as the only real disadvantage of T2 Power right now is their lower overall health. The TA-sized explosions that Fusion Reactors emitted, wiping out entire bases, upwards of 5 or 6 factories, and any nearby defenses, might be a bit overkill. However, it is a tried-and-true way to balance Advanced Power.
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

TA fusion was nowhere near that lethal.
  4. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

One big difference between TA an PA is the ratio between T1 and T2 power.
    In TA solar would give 20 and fusion around 1000. The fusion was producing 50 times more making it a requirement for higher tech.

In PA, the T1 power is 700 and the T2 5000. The T2 power only produce 7.14 times more.
    Now, they are not as important than in TA.
  5. tassadar33

tassadar33 Member

I enjoyed the supcom1 (no expansion) way of doing things. The fabricators and energy grids that they would build were such a good target for bombers. Sooo satisfying to destroy it, and i hope it makes it into this game.
  6. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Mass fabricators most likely won't make it into the game.
  7. turroflux

turroflux Member

No but unique location specific resources would be good, think hydrocarbons in SC. I think super metal points or something would created interesting strategic goals.
  8. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

>I enjoyed... (no expansion) way of doing things.

You are foreign to me. I literally cannot understand one iota of your thought process. Please explain to me the ways of the SupCommer.

Because I DON'T GET IT.
  9. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

It's quite simple, really. A great number of (typically young) people confuse the RTS genre for a Sim City with explosions (or a tower defense).
  10. turroflux

turroflux Member

And then there are those who play RTS games like sim city, which is why turtling is often called playing sim city.
  11. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Although playing it sim city like is quite fun with the current version (not including the catapult, that is a very boring building).

Having a maginot line around your base several layers deep (turrets every few meters, only a few walls though as they're imba) and then have your enemy smash their hundred tanks into it while you flank them with your own tanks feels just epic.

With some unit micro (artillery on retreat is very powerful against advancing tanks) you can smash through most defenses with few losses (unless they build tons of catapults, I hate that thing :( ) so even breaking a stalemate can be fun.

(When I turtle I cover at least a third of the map. Turtling with less resources then your enemy is foolish. :mrgreen: )
  12. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Those would be fine as you'll need to expand to claim them.
  13. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

This really disappoints me. They aren't designed to make you win, if you're limited to a small area with only metal makers as a metal source, you've already lost. Even while being inefficient, it helped get you back into the game if you were cut away from a lot of your metal deposits. Granted metal was a much more precious resource in TA than it is in PA by comparison, I still have hopes that metal makers will have SOME inclusion.

As to the OP...
    I firmly believe volatile energy plants will show their face later in the development in some way or another. If not, it can and likely will be modded, as many people like the idea and the strategies involved with it.

Volatile extractors? As in metal extractors? They were never volatile to begin with so.. not sure where you're going with this term.

And since noone's said it, I'll be the first. Welcome to the internet. ;D Watch your step on that side of the net (and youtube), and be wary of trolls, sarcasm, evil-doers, imminent FBI encounters, and other may-or-may-not-happen encounters of shenanigans. :mrgreen:
  14. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

i have always heard that someones sim was how they preferred or commonly made their bases. i don't like it being associated with turteling all the time.