Anyone have or interested in getting a TS3 server going?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by savvon, June 7, 2013.

1. savvon

savvon Member

I know we have a community Mumble server, but it is not dedicated to PA.

I was wondering if anyone has or is going to start a community TS3 server dedicated to PA?

If not, I will start a 30 slot one just to get one going but wanted to check here before I got one going.
  2. veta

veta Active Member

yeah, definitely
  3. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

I imagine that since the alpha had been released Poly will make a specific section in the Mumble for PA. No need to go make your own competing server.
  4. savvon

savvon Member

I went to the community Mumble and like I mentioned before, it is not dedicated. Rooms all over the place for many other games.

I would like to get a TS3 dedicated server for just PA. :ugeek:
  5. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

Forcing people to choose between one or the other is a good way to poison a community.
  6. savvon

savvon Member

Wha...?

We should have a dedicated server for this game. Nobody is 'forcing' anyone to do anything.

kind of nutty the way you are thinking. :?

If anything that Mumble server promotes playing other games and is very difficult to navigate.

You think I am 'poisoning' the community because I am willing to pay for a dedicated TS3 voice server solely for PA with money out of my own pocket?

That makes sense... :shock:

Sheesh, try to do something nice...
  7. sil3ntspy

sil3ntspy New Member

Feel free to use my non commercial server 100 slots @ voip.silentspy.net no pw
  8. savvon

savvon Member

HEY! Thanks man! :mrgreen:
  9. mzhg

mzhg Member

I'm confuse by "the community Mumble" and "TS3 dedicated server" .. Why TS3 !?

Stick to Mumble, on the community server or not..
  10. mzhg

mzhg Member

One more reason to stick to mumble -> OpenSourced and free ;)

Imho, better wait for a dedicated Uber server or a PA section on the community.
  11. savvon

savvon Member

Mumble is inferior to TS3 in its current state.

But this is off-topic.

The topic is getting a TS3 dedicated server for PA only.
  12. elamre

elamre New Member

Those are probably the worst reasons i've ever heard. Since when did you have to pay for teamspeak? For server hosting you need to pay obviously, but the users of a server dont need to pay ANYTHING.
    And I'm sure maybe 2 people out of a 1000 might use the open source. But probably less.
    Having tried all the common voice comms out there, teamspeak is the easiest to use by far. Also boosts the most functions of them all.
    I'd love to see a teamspeak dedicated to PA, you will certainly be able to find me on there daily :)
  13. mzhg

mzhg Member

TS3 server is free for this usage:
    "[...] unlicensed use of TeamSpeak 3 is limited to one virtual server with up to 32 slots."

After that you need a license. The free one is limited to 512 slots.
    "TeamSpeak 3 non-profit licenses are limited to a maximum of ten virtual servers and up to 512 combined slots."

Then you have to pay for more.

It only depends of the number of slots you aim to. I could easily host a big server for free from my home connection (100Mbps/100Mbps Fiber). And I'm already host few servers on a dedicated host which I pay for something else anyway.

Regarding usage, Mumble have a great users base, not less than 0.2% ..

The overall quality of Mumble is equal to TS3.
  14. sil3ntspy

sil3ntspy New Member

the non commercial license gives you the opportunity to avoid hosting fees at all, as long you use it for personal reasons and not for the money :)

i could however put up a PA teamspeak only as i still got 300 slots spare and a ton of bandwidth to go along with it.
  15. savvon

savvon Member

Please do!
  16. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Feature and qualitywise, Mumble is at least on par with TS3, and in several cases, does better. I think people formed a negative opinion about Mumble because they used it early on, before it was on par with the competition. Modern versions are very good indeed.
    As a Linux user, I am content with Mumble. I won't be touching TS/Skype/Vent/etc.
  17. toorvis

toorvis Member

I actually have a TS3 server that I'm not currently using for anything. It was supposed to be for my DayZ or Minecraft server but I just forgot about it.. If people are interested I could find the IP adress and paste it here.

you know what.. I just remembered

Hostname: Wontongroup.teamspeak3.com
    Port: 5370

shouldn't be any password but if there is.. Tell me and I'll see if I can get it removed. I'd also like everyone to be nice in there because I can't get into the server as the ship has restriction on the internet.

have fun guys!

¨~ Chris

PS: I can't fully remember how many slots the server had, but if there's problems with space I'll be more than happy to upgrade it.
  18. elamre

elamre New Member

Sadly enough this idea is not really lifting off the ground :(
    All the ts ip's are empty. Lets all use toorvis's teamspeak. Especially since it's not deddicated to anything. You need to make some rooms though. I'll be there if any1 is interested :)
  19. mistercheif

mistercheif Member

I'm there now, in the PA channel.
  20. toorvis

toorvis Member

You should be able to make some rooms by yourself, I don't think I removed any permissions when I did the initial management. Anyways, if you have any trouble or something's not right just PM me or post it here and I'll see what I can do from the server control panel.

¨~ Chris