Any way to counter grapples?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by kaiyouske, January 26, 2011.

1. kaiyouske

kaiyouske New Member

At its current state it is way too powerful. There are no preventions and no counters to it. Any tips/suggestions?
  2. PohTayToez

PohTayToez New Member

No preventions? How about not getting within grapple range, or grappling them first?
  3. Stryfe

Stryfe New Member

If you're referring to the assassins grappling you, once you get a custom class and use the armor endorsement you'll at least survive most stabs from the front. Don't let them get your back...
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

5. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

-Jump
    -Fly
    -Stay out of grapple range
    -Grapple them first
    -Say to everyone "No Grappling this game" and hope for the best
  6. Pluberus

Pluberus New Member

This is a winner. :lol:
  7. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

Seriously, you'll get frustrated by grapples at first when you're new then later on think how hard it is to grapple people yourself.

People have practically stopped walking from point A to point B and now bunny hop there instead.
  8. Goose

Goose Active Member

Grapples are broken guys. OP made a great argument.
  9. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

troll. :lol:
  10. st0nedpenguin

st0nedpenguin New Member

I got up to pee last night and my cat leg grappled me.

Nerf plz.
  11. Esham

Esham New Member

Just give it time. Once you get an armour endorsement the front grapple won't kill you so you can usually counter them with a charge or a grapple yourself.

Also i found jumping around all funny and gweebing out really ruins most assassins days.

TBH the assassin reminds me of the TF2 spy. At first they were very powerful but as time goes by the class gets weaker since it has the single most powerful counter and thats player awareness.
  12. Goose

Goose Active Member

Guys, I just got grappled by a support. He gets a free shotgun!!!!

nerf!
  13. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

also, if your airborne you cannot be grappled. you learn that one from playing street fighter. otherwise you think zangief is broken and cry about it on youtube. lolololol
  14. Goose

Goose Active Member

Your right Bro, T. Hawk is broken...
  15. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

Not like the TF2 spy in that aspect at all.

The TF2 spy, due to movement, cloak and attack limitations, has to rely on disguising himself as an enemy team member, and takes a few seconds before he can backstab you (without uncloaking right behind you with that bloody air horn of a sound going off). He also doesn't even have half the movement capacities the Assassin does. The Assassin is closer to the Spy mixed in with the Scout.

First of all, the Assassin can attack directly and without a chance to miss straight out of cloak. Second, and to me this is the part that should be changed, assassin's face stab isn't a glitch, you can do it freely. Third, the assassin doesn't need a disguise, she doesn't need to fool people, she just needs to work around them, which is the main difference from the spy. The spy is fairly fragile and of normal movement, and he's usually behind enemy lines. If anything goes wrong, he's halfway into his own funeral already as he can't outrun, and most definitely can't outdamage, most enemies. The assassin can. The assassin is the fastest in the game, has a variety of tools she can use to escape and outrun enemies, and is still equipped with reliable offensive abilities.

As a spy, an enemy turning around at the wrong moment can spell death for you. As an assassin it can be completely irrelevant, or it can mean they get to live for a few seconds more. Rarely does it mean you just died.

Also, assassin can't spy crab...Like, duh.
  16. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

No, Caliostro, he doesn't mean in practice - he means in public perception.

Initially the Spy was considered very strong, only because the community collectively didn't know how to handle them. As time went on, people worked out the weaknesses of the Spy, and how to spot him in a crowd.

The same is already happening with the Assassin. I once was slaughtered by good Assassins, now I know how to defend against them and I now fair much better.
  17. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

Alright, back to this topic in 3 months then.

So far I'm wrecking people mindlessly for the most part.

My point was that awareness, while the biggest counter against TF2's spy, is rather irrelevant against assassins.
  18. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

Errr... No. Awareness counters assassins just as much as it counters spies. Well, maybe a bit less, but not much. I agree that a spy is completely screwed when he has blown his cover while an assasin can usually get out of the mess. Other than that, both of them can't win a straight fight.
  19. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

Except that they can. The assassin at least can, very easily, very often.
  20. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

How? I alsmost never get killed by an assasin in a straight up fight. I agree that most Sins I've faced were failures, but I've also met some of the good ones on these fora and they only got me when they managed to snuck up on me or when I was severely out of position (i.e. getting swarmed). You're seriously telling me that an assasin can kill a Gunner, Tank or assault head to head on a regular basis? Snipers and supports, maybe, but even they can give an assasin a rough time.