Any chance this will be on next gen consoles?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by voltagejim, December 18, 2013.

1. voltagejim

voltagejim New Member

Just wondering if there is any chance we can see this game released on PS4 or xbox one? I don't beleive there are any RTS games in the pipeline for either system, and this would make a really good release on the consoles for an RTS game
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

RTS games are terrible on consoles. Putting PA on a console would be a mistake. It'd be terrible gameplay – not because of the game, but because of the limitations of controller.

Keyboard+Mouse > Controller

Besides, "Next gen consoles" is a advertising term. Computers are WAAAAAAY more powerful than the "next gen" consoles. Computers have had better specs than the Xbone or PS4 for years.
  3. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

How long until we have proper Keyboard/mouse compatibility on consoles? Probably not anytime soon. I remember playing some PS2 games with KB/M on the PS2 because controllers are awful inaccurate input methods.
  4. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

SteamBox.

Nothing more needs to be said.
  5. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

^Truth.

http://xim3.com
    I guess it's not native support. But why would either company offer native support?
  6. omniao

omniao Active Member

Just a comment here, anything that can process information and computes is a computer. Consoles are computers. I know what way you are using the term "computer", it's just I have a tendency to make these corrections.
    One time so one told me to, "Shut off all technology," and I replied, "So I should shut off this table, my lunch, and my pants?"
    No offense.
    Also, steambox isn't a console. It's a computer that runs SteamOS instead of OSX, Linux, Windows, etc.
    Just think of consoles as monitor-less desktop computers. In your terminology, consoles aren't FULL computers, because of their limited UI, GUI, and OS. Steambox is actually supposed to be a usable computer.
    Sorry for not being that constructive.
    Also, if you hacked a Xbox and installed windows, it would be (in your terminology) a computer. (But a really bad one compared to "regular" computers.) And you could totally hook up a mouse and keyboard.
    Last edited: December 18, 2013
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

The PS4 has a trackpad on the controller...
    stormingkiwi and siefer101 like this.
  8. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

Quote of the Day
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Might be if game will be crippled something like that possible because those "next gen" consoles have pretty limited memory available, 5GB on Xbox One and 3.5-4GB on PS4 for both RAM/VRAM. Currently any large game in PA need 4-5GB of RAM and 1GB of VRAM.

So I'm personally doubt that it's possible that PA will ever work on consoles like it's present on PC.

PS: Those who seen original Supreme Commander on Xbox 360 will understand why I think so.
    Last edited: December 18, 2013
    tatsujb and stormingkiwi like this.
  10. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

I have my doubts. Everything Steam has done so far is exclusively for games, and I'm betting on SteamOS being exactly that, a form of Linux that is nothing but Steam's Big Picture Mode.

To be fair, that would still put it ahead of a Chromebook.
  11. stormingkiwi

Ps4 may have a track pad. .... but well... accuracy and precision of mice? Trackpads have not replaced mice in a working environment yet.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Under the hood it's still eDebian Linux and currently you can switch to in with one click. It's use standard packages system and mostly everything is standard.

Yeah I agree that Chromebook have very little storage, but it's still possible to install proper system here. :)
    So anyway it's far more open than consoles.
  13. sirlansalot

sirlansalot New Member

Only RTS game that ever was "Good" for a console was Halo Wars. Reason being that game was made for the 360 and its controller from the ground up, not some half assed port over like RA3 was during the same time or SupC.

As the other statements have said RTS+Console = Bad.

Mouse KB has been king for gaming ever since the FPS/RTS genre was invented. So no. PC gaming is king and will forever remain so.
  14. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Multiple sources are saying that the Steam Controller is sort of this new revolution.
    Kinda like from D-pad to Analog stick.
    If it's a success for mass market, you bet Xbox and PS will follow suit with something similar.
  15. voltagejim

voltagejim New Member

I remeber playing Command and Conquer Red Alert Retailiation for the PS1 back in the day and remembering that the controls in that were really good, why can't devs just use they control layout they used for that game?
  16. brianpurkiss

You're just haggling over terminologies but my points still stand.
  17. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Touchpad is nice, but it's not actual mouse replacement. PlayStation Move bar on the controller could actually work there. It works practically like mouse and is relatively precise.
  18. stormingkiwi

That's true...

But god. I could have done with a keyboard and mouse during Arcadia City...
  19. brianpurkiss

Agreed. There's a reason we use mice rather than trackpads.
  20. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

While I love mouse+kb, it's still not perfect. Mouse is pretty awesome and hard to beat as it is, but the keyboard part.. not so much. For example, for movement in FPS games, an analog stick is much better, giving you that more precise analog input over digital keyboard input. Of course, overall m+kb is still better for FPS games, but I would like to see more innovation in this department anyway. Ideal combination would be something like mouse+analog stick+keyboard. I once had an idea for a laptop with integrated analog sticks on the sides and maybe other controller stuff like triggers.. just think of your laptop as a huge controller with a full keyboard and display attached.. now that would be great. :)

That said, hard to see how mouse+kb can be beat in an RTS game when it comes to pure accuracy and performance, but that doesn't mean the game couldn't still be fun on a controller.