Animated textures for wheels and tank threads

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by Engineer1234, May 18, 2017.

1. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

I've gotten back into modeling and want to have the kind of spinning tank threads on my models like the Vanguard has, is there a guide for how to do this somewhere?
    I know how to make basic texture, but not how to animate them.
  2. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

If @killerkiwijuice is still around he knows about this stuff. Can't remember something about scrolling UV's.
    Engineer1234 likes this.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

So in the unit.json there is a parameter for scrolling UV's which specifies the horizontal percentage for where the UV will scroll on the model. If you look at the textures for various tanks like tank commanders, you'll see part of the right side covered with the tank treads. Wherever this part of the texture starts (like 90% of the entire horizontal length of the image, for example) is what gets scrolled when the unit moves.
    Engineer1234 and Nicb1 like this.
  4. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

"scrolling_uv": {
    "scroll_rate": 0.58,
    "uv_split": 0.855
    },

This is from the Vanguard, so, scroll rate I suppose is the speed at which it scrolls in somethings per something, and uv split is what percentage of the left part of the texture is non-scrolling and the rest is scrolling, do I have that right?
    Is this usually how texture artists do it? seems kinda hacky to me :D but I can work with it.
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I think the speed is in meters but it's impossible to tell. And yeah you're right. At 85.5% of the texture the right side will scroll.

Also I have no idea if this technique is used elsewhere, but it works so why not :)
    lulamae and Engineer1234 like this.