Anchor OP

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Illmaren, February 27, 2014.

1. Illmaren

Illmaren Active Member

Hi..

I got an game where my opponent had send an Anchor to me.
    that Anchor killed almost 70 Avenger >> ALONE <<
    i tryed it then with an orbital cannon (The thing that stands on the ground an shoots in the orbit)
    that little thing couldn´t kill that anchor...

is there a way that this little thing is a bit OP ?
  2. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

The Umbrella (ground anti-orbital turret) should fire, as long as it has radar coverage, I think? Also, yeh, the anchor would surely be less OP if it couldn't move? Or moved incredibly slowly.
  3. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

they will be nerfed, but on the next patch
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

There's pretty much always been one bug or another with the Anchor Umbrella.

It frequently won't fire when it should.
    Last edited: March 1, 2014
    drz1 likes this.
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I think it's ok. Just build your own Anchors.
  6. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

It really just isn't. But we are still in Gamma, so there is hoping.
    @Illmaren just remind yourself every single game that experiencing bugs and imbalance is inevitable when testing a game. It is what you are expected to do, after all. Before release the game is not there to be enjoyed but to broken and abused in every conceivable way. So, congratulations for doing your job, I guess?
  7. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I think orbital fighters are mainly for harassment now. They're like the T1 bots of space. Anchors are where the real hit points and firepower are at.

My only complaint is that anchors are too fast for their health. You can't really protect your orbital gear against anchors because a line of attack-anchors will drive past a line of defense-anchors and kill whatever they were supposed to protect faster than the defense-anchors can kill them. It also might make fighters more interesting (by comparison) if the anchors were slower.

I assume the point of anchors (and thus, their name) is to help with a difficult invasion: anchors drop in orbit and distract all the anti-orbital firepower, hopefully giving the orbital fabricators time to drop a teleporter. I assume that's the thinking, anyway.

But yeah, don't fight anchors with fighters.
  8. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Anchors were supposed to protect your airspace, but now they're more effective as blockade runners. Their only weakness is that you can't build them without an orbital fabber... And that they can't do much to protect you from interorbital nukes or a well-orchestrated astraeus drop.
  9. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

perhaps the anchor should not be able to travel between planets then.
  10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

*Umbrella

Don't expect to counter anchors with fighters. The former hard counters the latter. Umbrellas hard counter anchors though, keep your eco up, keep your orbital and deepspace radar alive, and build umbrellas. Note that sometimes you must manually order the umbrellas to attack the anchors or whatever other threat there is; if you aren't paying any attention to a battle then you should lose it.
  11. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

Yeah, they mentioned it in the live stream, that the Anchor is supposed to be used to open a hole in a heavily defended orbital layer for laser satelites and fabricators and such.
  12. Geers

Geers Post Master General

That's not a Blockade Runner

[​IMG]

Now that's a Blockade Runner!

If I had control of an orbital layer, I'd spam Anchors, not fighters. So how do Anchors punch a hole in an orbital layer with dozens of Anchors?
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  13. trialq

trialq Post Master General

It needs that to invade. I'd have anchors not be able to move in the orbital layer, kind of like an anchor ;)
    • Send a dozen anchors to a planet in a circle, to form a point of attack
    • Send orbital fabbers to the centre of the circle, to invade
    • Bonus points for building ever more anchors in the shape of a smiley face
    ace902902 likes this.
  14. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

That's why I think anchors need to move slower, like a lot slower. Defending anchors can get over to where they need to be relatively quickly, which means the hole you punched isn't going to last long.
  15. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

I never thought of the anchor as a unit. I thought it was supposed to be a building.
  16. Tiller

Tiller Active Member

I thought it was supposed to be the orbital turret emplacement, though I'm fine with it moving, if slowly. But without help from an umbrella or another anchor you need a metric ton of avengers before one falls.

I'd think if it moved slower it can keep its current stats. Orbital transfer needs to be slower too, else you can abuse planet hops to get to where you want to go faster than normal.