An in-game mentoring system of some kind

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by MikeyTWolf, December 27, 2010.

1. MikeyTWolf

MikeyTWolf New Member

Because you can't force someone to read the forums. :/

Had two little "**** this ****" quits today, not because I lost or kept dying all the time, but because I just couldn't facepalm any harder wherever I looked.

Ammo Mule Moneyball turrets are long-shots? Right underneath the spawn ring? Do you people not look for christ's sake?! Ugh.

An assassin kill farming me, the other assassin/the sniper. Then immediately dying. And you're still not learning from this?

Problem is, as time goes by MORE vets have started buying in so Lvl 10s suddenly come out of nowhere and score five-kill streaks and juice up all the time. And without more servers popping up (in fact there appears to be less from what I remember, or the pings are getting higher at least) new players aren't going to learn very quickly resulting in mass steam-rolls and incompetent teammates.

Possible partial solutions:

- Improving the voice chat so the hud will display speakers. Also include volume controls and a feature that quietens the music, announcer and sound effects to make the mic clearer when it's used.

- Team beacons: With a custom bind, aim at a location and press. A hologram will appear with a short typed message (optional). Even without a note attached to it, as long as the player name appears and they use the mic or teamchat players should understand better what a certain player is referring to. This can be useful both in teaching players NOT to build longshots HERE because they get raped, but also handy for highlighting firebase turrets and such so people actually know where you're talking about in more competitive games. May be seeable through walls.

- Some sort of "Locker Room Answering Machine". Take a special screenshot with a custom bind and save it for the end of the game or when dead. Write out a message and that player will receive a notification telling them to check their video phone answering machine to read the message. You can block players who aren't helping. Bonus points if you can doodle tactical information on the screenshot (to avoid an M-rating, could just limit it to icons and arrows, not freeform drawing.)

Maybe some other ideas to help players realise they're doing it wrong in-game may help. If they're obviously griefing after receing about a dozen tips then that's what a votekick feature will be for.
  2. podwhacker

podwhacker New Member

I've kind of stopped playing until some updates happen, as the people are too bad, and going 30-2/winning the round in 2 minutes, isn't particularly fun.

Addition to the voice chat: It should be off by default, in my opinion. Annoying hearing bart simpson scream at someone. And normally, bart simpson is bad himself.
  3. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

I like how everyone on this forum is MVP and carries their team.
  4. Hako

Hako New Member

I'd love to see someone on a forum that isn't full of themselves.

World would probably end, though.
  5. kurina

kurina Member

I honestly think the best way to combat this is to simply create a more in-depth tutorial for Crossfire mode. The first few games even I was doing terribly nooby stuff, not realizing at first that bots needed to drop the money ball, etc. I caught on quick enough though, and I imagine so will others given time. People are still buying and joining in, as I see level 0's quite a bit each day. People don't turn "pro" overnight.

Secondly, the best way to help them is through voice chat and encourage them in the right direction. Not saying you do this, just talking in general, but berating them or ragequitting on them will just allow the situation to continue. Some encouragement or guidance in the right direction can drastically change the behavior of a new player (who pays attention to chat, anyway).

In the end though, this is simply the nature of pub play. It has been this way for as long as I can remember, and only "serious" play can be found competitively. Public servers will always have a great mix of people, so dealing with various play styles is part of the territory, imho. Personally, I don't mind it too much, because it matters little in the end. I am more concerned about team shuffle imbalance than people still learning the game.
  6. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Lolz. I think I'm decent, but I definitely don't go 30-2 and MVP every single game >.>
  7. Fuffles

Fuffles New Member

Hah, I'm pretty bad at the game, but I understand gameplay mechanics.

A good game for me is going 12-4 or 16-8 or something. I think it's mainly because I can barely devote any time to gaming, but at work I can type stuff out during downtime.
  8. epyx

epyx New Member

im pretty horrible
  9. Myst

Myst New Member

Having a spectator mode would probably also help a lot.
    Before I started playing much online I watched a few vids on youtube to see how everyone else played, but I'd probably have picked it up a lot quicker if I could just spectate a round and watch from all players' perspectives instead of just the guy recording the vid.