Alternative GO launcher. Build for Windows

Discussion in 'Support!' started by SXX, May 5, 2014.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I see that number of players met some problem with new launcher, but want to play PTE builds. So here is pre-compiled @UberWilliam (source) launcher that can download and install PTE builds for you. ;)

I never used Go before, but find out so it's pretty easy to build Go applications for Windows on Linux. Unfortunately cmd.exe have some problem with input encoding and easier way to bypass I find it's use command-line flags for this purpose:
    Code:
    papatcher-upx.exe --stream PTE --username Anonymous --password qwerty123
    I included two shortcuts for "PTE" and "stable" streams, but have no idea if those will work properly or not.

Game will be downloaded into this directory:
    Code:
    C:/Users/%username%/AppData/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/
    Not pretty, but want to change as few lines of code as possible because if I start I'll never done this. :D

For decreasing of size executable packed with UPX.
    Modified source code included in archive. I built it this way on Kubuntu 14.04:
    Code:
    GOOS=windows GOARCH=386 go build -o papatcher.exe papatcher.go
    upx -9 -o papatcher-upx.exe papatcher.exe
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
    SolitaryCheese and wondible like this.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Downloads will be in 2nd post. File is quite too large so I can't upload it on forums:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5LwC3WbdQ3DRFdJbWNxNUg3OUE/edit
    I tested this one on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, so not sure how well it's will work on other OS versions.

After download and unpack:
    Right click on shortcuts -> Properties -> In field "target" -> replace "anon123 / qwerty123" with your login and password.

In case your Windows username contain non-English characters you might need to move downloaded game into another directory.

PS: Ignore file rename errors for now, game will work anyway. :p
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
    SolitaryCheese likes this.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Does copy-paste of the PTE installed from the uberlauncher mkII, into the steam folder for PA, allow steam to play the PTE of PA?

I have speculated it does for a while now. Obviously rename the old steam's PA to "not-pa", so it won't overwrite and will keep it in storage.
  4. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

I just tested it and it works. It doesn't automatically log you into the game, though, so you have to put in your password manually.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  5. thetrophysystem

Then just do that. And then rename whichever folder version you want into the correct folder name, and the other into "PA Strg", to switch between the two.
  6. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

This no longer works for me. :(
    And the official launcher from the site still doesn't work either. :(

[​IMG]
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

What exactly do you mean as "not works"?

Did you tried to move game to data to directory which don't have any non-English languages in path?
  8. SolitaryCheese

I did move the game data to the root of C:, and I get the error message I posted in my previous post.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

To be fair it's pretty weird, but unfortunately it's nearly impossible to debug this exact problem because as far as I know it's not spawn any entries in logs. :(
    This launcher only let you bypass problem with official launcher, but not fix problems of game.
  10. SolitaryCheese

:(

I guess I'll just have to wait a bit longer... hoping the official launcher magically starts to work again.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

If you get error above when updating game with Go launcher it's mean that's problem within game.
  12. swissbear85

swissbear85 New Member

I have exactly the same problem, launcher does not work and if i download the game via this alternate method, i get the same error message.
  13. buysilver

buysilver New Member

I also have this issue, when I run the loader on windows 8 it just hangs, no windows pop's up.

i tried your other launcher, replaced the user and password in the shortcuts, tried running it from the desktop, tried running it from the PA folder as you didnt specify where you need to run it from.

Does this actually work, can you write clearer instructions on how to use these files for us regular users that might not be quite a techy.

Will you be fixing this loader sometime soon? Alot of people are having issues
  14. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

Had the same problem today with a windows 8.1 fresh install. Solution : install directx from microsoft website.
    Yes, the PA Launcher need a fully working DirectX, that's a bit crasy for an Opengl game ^^
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Coherent UI does need it. Actually it's trying to init OpenGL context via EGL, but for some reason always fail on Nvidia drivers.

Game itself don't need it and Coherent obviously use OpenGL on Linux/Mac.
  16. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

The weird thing is PA was working fine, only the Launcher was broken (frozen on start, no window) until I fully updated directX. Btw, I have a AMD card (hd7870 if I remember right).
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

PA is only using OpenGL while launcher is based on Coherent plus some part of PA engine.
    So Coherent does need D3D on Windows for some reason.

PS: Thanks for letting me know that it's happen on AMD too. :)
  18. Mereth

Mereth Active Member

For me, both are using Coherent UI, but I guess they are not using it the same way :p

Whatever, do you think I should report it as a bug in Uber tracker ? Sorry for disturbing your GO Launcher thread ;)
  19. thetrophysystem

Demonstrates Launcher Use:
  20. jeso

jeso New Member

Works like a charm.

It would be great to be able to set the install path though.

(I had to move the folder after the download, because I have a non-ascii character in my user name.)