alternate classes

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by Domon, July 18, 2011.

1. Domon

Domon New Member

if MNC is going the TF2 route, you know that besides hats and costumes, TF2 introduced alternate weapons. MNC could eventually do that and introduce alternate skills, to. so, let's breinstorm a little

Assault:

- alternate weapon1: semi-automatic rifle (higher range but 3 shots burst). alternate fire is still a zoom
    - alternate weapon2: missile launcher (slower rate of fire, travel speed and lower ammo, higher damage, explosion radius and travels in a fairly inaccurate straight line, alternate fire is a throw)
    - alternate bomb: proximty mine (lower damage, but istantaneously explodes with opponents nearby its center)
    - alternate fly: jet burst (tank and gunner like hover, gives a you double and triple jumps when upgraded)
    - alternate charge: does not improves with levels, instead you can use it multiple times, airstrike style
    - alternate passive: lv1 gives jump and more ammo, lv2 gives a faster reloading

Tank

- alternate weapon 1: dumdum shotgun (as support shotgun, only 4 rounds, but enflames too, alternate fire shoot 4 bullets in a vastly inaccurate spread, making something like a big damaging wall of bullets, but needing a full reload before doing it again. doing it with more than 4 bullets still consumes all ammos, diung it with less than 4 bullets decreases damage)
    - alternate weapon 2: rail assault rifle (same weapon with higher rate of fire and somewhat lower damage, expecially long range. alternate fire is a throw)
    - alternate grenade: stun grenade (second level drains skill instead of blinding, third level adds a slow effect and bigger radius)
    - alternate charge: productive charge (tank charges upward for little damage, but leaves a bunch of grenades in its wake, increasing in number and scattering further with level increases)
    - alternate deploy: refresh (tank deploys for some seconds with a damage reduction, when this times ends he comes out fully healed - maybe overhealed at level 3 - and with weapons loaded. long refresh)
    - alternate passive: faster healing for level 1, increased jump and some hp (100?) for level 2

i'v got some ideas for all classes, but i'd like to see yours...
  2. Mrsubguy

Mrsubguy New Member

I don't like games that require you to buy items to stay in a game without getting stomped on :x
  3. Big Ordeal

Big Ordeal New Member

Yeahthat
  4. Domon

Domon New Member

TF2 alternate weapons are eminently balanced. this kind of add-ons would of course only work if they are as much balanced. the point is not makeing new, more powerful gear, but changing gear to add new viable tactics and let peaople with different skills express different gameplay...

the assault new grenade, for example, authomatically explodes, but should have a longer reload and lower damage. the missile launcher is easier to aim, but being slow it's easier to dodge, too. (and so on). and all the alternate weapons are found for free in TF2, you can pay to speed the process, but you don't have to.

did anyone try that game?
  5. ZOoo00OOm

ZOoo00OOm New Member

That Assault charge sounds really lulzy. You can troll people so hard with that (i.e. dash into a gunner over and over again off the edge of the map)
  6. Mrsubguy

Mrsubguy New Member

I remember there being a RIFT exclusive weapon for the scout that had the crit hit that happened 100% of the time compared that to someone who has the default weapon that hits 30% of the time i don't think that's very balanced
  7. Domon

Domon New Member

did you use it?

anyway, i'm talking about balanced alternatives, here, or how to balance them.

no ideas?
  8. No-Blood

No-Blood New Member

9. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

Its a MINI crit that happens 100% of the time against burning enemies (IE: You need a pyro to light them on fire.) It does 15% LESS damage than the normal weapon in all other circumstances.

Most TF2 weapons are SIDEGRADES rather than upgrades, meaning they allow for different playstyles without one load out being absolutely dominant for any of the 9 classes. A number of the unlockable weapons also include listed drawbacks in addition to their simple mechanical differences. (For example, the Scout's Boston Basher gives the benifit of applying a bleed effect to any target you hit with a melee attack. However, any MISSED attack causes YOU to suffer a bleed effect. Several weapons in the game increase the damage you TAKE while using them, and others actively damage you or reduce your max health entirely.)

The pyro is about the only class I use an unlockable weapon for in every slot, and even then I still use the default shotgun quite frequently. Other than a few of the Vanilla Melee weapons, Valve has done a pretty decent job in balancing the unlocks in comparison to Vanilla gear.

On topic: I'm not sure MNC could handle an overhaul like this. I would much rather balance some of the useless endorsements before adding new skills and weapons.
  10. Dachefin

Dachefin New Member

Apparently we are not playing the same TF2 then, because in the TF2 I play the weapons are not balanced.
  11. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

Examples besides Enforcer and Axestingisher please.
  12. Dachefin

Dachefin New Member

Tomislav, The Scottish Resistance, Soda Popper, Huntsman, Vita-Saw, The Winger

Either too strong or just bad.

Edit: Not Vita-Saw, the Amputator.
    Last edited: July 20, 2011
  13. Im Hudson

Im Hudson New Member

I need to know which is which to see if I agree or not (and why would be great). PM me so we can stop derailing this thread, or start a tf2 thread if others cared to discuss. :p
  14. Domon

Domon New Member

it -can- handle them, it will simple be hard work to balance them :)
    a balancing factor could be taking altenates INSTEAD of an endorsement?
  15. Faceman

Faceman New Member

Adding loads of weapons would just clutter MNC just like it did Team fortress. The fundamental problem is the more varients of weapons you give a class, the less of an identity that class has, which makes it harder to predict what an enemy is going to do by knowing their class - which is makes it more complicated for newcomers.

It also starts to defeat the point of a class based game, and turns it into an FPS like what has happened to Tf2 (R.I.P) - the game is almost unrecognisable to what it was 2 years ago, and I, and my mates say the worse for it.
    (Same happend when Bad Company 2 added scopes for 'all class' weapons making every class have similar capabilities and making class choice less important)

SO.. If the weapons are carefully thought through and are very well linked to their classes' identity and.. there arnt to many of them for each class (2max) then they'll work well.
    >
    Eg. Huntsman, Other Engineer shotgun (The critical shot turrety one) , Brass beast etc..

hi
  16. Domon

Domon New Member

look at my 2 example classes. tell me if that's the kind of alternates you'd like to see :)