Altering Planetary Rotation to avoid asteroids

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by superroach, August 17, 2012.

1. superroach

superroach Member

Hello, I only found of this forum after seeing various posts on reddit :)

But my hope and vision is that Total annihilation had a real feeling of one upmanship. Most of the parts of the game had an upgrade or counter to it, with escalating difficulty to get it. Level one units , level two tier etc...

When I saw the Asteroid destruction part, I thought that as an element, they are uncounterable. That kind of kills the fun, a bit like if someone turtles and gets away with it, then you can't counter all the nukes they built.

However, there are ways you could maybe counter that! Have the routes be fixed on launch. They take a bit to hit the planet, but the player is aware its going to happen. It's their chance to then kick in an emergency planet shift, knock it slightly off axis etc. You could shift the asteroid to hit away from their base or even better into their attacking units by doing this.

What do you think?

tl:dr; let us possibly counter asteroids hitting us by altering gravity/rotation of planet
  2. ferigad

ferigad Member

Cant we simply launch a sh*tton of nukes?

Or get Bruce Willis, put him into a Rocket and let him do the job to blow it before it hits. ^^

Nah honestly, i would more think about some Kind of Sattelite and Groundbased Nuclear Arsenal. And as a ultimate solution, use a Asteroid of your own to cross the path of the enemy bomb asteroid so they smash each other. Would be far more funny i guess. ;)
  3. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

From what I saw we could use rockets but they would be ineffective when fired too late. We can always have some sort of protection shield wich destroyes the asteroids or at least makes it do only 71% - 56% of damage
  4. emb4

emb4 Active Member

from what i saw in the trailer you can launch rockets at the incoming asteroids to try and blow them up
  5. FunkOff

FunkOff Member

It should be noted that, in the trailer, this tactic appeared to fail miserably.
  6. secondkingstons

secondkingstons New Member

Well, there are multiple ways. The most obvious one is to fire a crap load of nukes/missiles at it, but that won't help much. First of all, you could hijack the asteroid, destroying some engines so instead of flying straight into the planet, it hits the sun or flies off to who knows where. Another is try moving the PLANET away from harm, but that could end up going bad (accidentally sending the planet into a spiral to the sun). Another way is to build engines on the ASTEROID/MOON/PLANET that is coming to kill you and try to stop/slow or even direct it away. If all else fails, try to increase the orbit speed of your planet, so you can try to dodge the astro-missile or at least minimize the damage (From what I know, asteroid/moon/planet bombs won't always are an insta-pop. It depends on how many engines, how fast is it going, and how big it is. Or if you really want to go hard-core, try knocking it off with ANOTHER asteroid/moon/planet. You'll have to house some really sick timing and aiming skills. And make sure that your own projectile doesn't bump back into your own planet when it blocks the incoming one... (I can see me doing that :lol: )

Really I think this would be a much more late-game tactic, and so it won't really come in about 12 minutes in. Secondly, they take a while. This may give you time to build up defenses, or align the enemy base that's on your planet to the asteroid.
  7. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

The entire planet is annihilated. I imagine your Commander has to be on an asteroid/moon to not die. If the last enemy base along with the enemy Commander is on the planet, you're not, you have a moonbase, and you manage to get an asteroid missile fully functional, I'm pretty sure it's been GG for a while.

Also, the building time and materials it would take to make rotary rockets on a planet compared to making an asteroid missile? Ho boy.
  8. KarottenRambo

KarottenRambo Member

lol Planetary Billiards
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I love the speculation guys. When we have more time I'll reveal some more details about how this is planned to work.
  10. superroach

superroach Member

Haha, some if these posts with the risks of doing it like making your own planet crash make me want to do it more! The chance for an epic fail on your own half sounds great. But yeah I also understand it shouldn't make it come down to micro management.

The rotation could be a mix of weak grav and minor rotation, with the end effect of no movement but having it land somewhere else random. But if it's too big then...

Fun fun!
  11. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

You give it a target. It tries to use the delta-v available to hit that target. If the target moves it will try to hit it but if you don't have enough delta-v it misses. That's kind of the current thought.

I don't want to go into this too much until I've written more code. Which won't happen until we get this kickstarter finished, so get your friends on board people!
  12. torgamous

torgamous New Member

That could be offset somewhat by giving them other uses. I can see rotating a planet abnormally being absolutely wonderful for wind energy, for example, and any rocket powerful enough to alter a planet's rotation should be very useful as a turret as well. Maybe if you halt a planet's rotation then the day side starts turning into a molten hellscape and anything on that side takes damage, while on the night side water freezes and is no longer impassable. Stuff like that.
  13. ferigad

ferigad Member

Pfff, who needs to move the planet when you can move the moon? Put some thruster or stuff on him and increase his rotation until the moon is able to shield the planet from a direct hit!

Well you maybe loose the moon... but hey....maybe this is the reason why god put the moon up there!

Or build a giant supercollidor on a moons surface that accelerates pure energy and shoot it on a incomin asteroid... it could go complete around the moon and then fire the Accelerated energy like a... NEUTRINO cannon ! Bwahaha xD