Alt-tab causes crash everytime

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Feedback and Issues' started by WantstoWhine, January 21, 2011.

1. WantstoWhine

WantstoWhine New Member

Everytime I alt-tab the game hangs after a few seconds and I can't re-maximize from the Taskbar. If I alt-tab and then click right away I can get back in the game, but if I wait longer than 5 seconds or so I have to open the Task Manager and manually shut down the program.

This is the error report that Windows gave me:

Description:
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
    Application Name: mnc.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.5694.0
    Application Timestamp: 4d379cd5
    Hang Signature: bfcc
    Hang Type: 2048
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Hang Signature 1: bfcc8d98a87ad226145e18d2ab8ea124
    Additional Hang Signature 2: d02e
    Additional Hang Signature 3: d02e8e3e37362a61eaa3f39931061963
    Additional Hang Signature 4: bfcc
    Additional Hang Signature 5: bfcc8d98a87ad226145e18d2ab8ea124
    Additional Hang Signature 6: d02e
    Additional Hang Signature 7: d02e8e3e37362a61eaa3f39931061963
  2. UberGaf

UberGaf Uber Alumni

It's a known issue. I find Alt-Enter (change to windowed mode) before I Alt-Tab to be pretty robust.
  3. wubnasty

wubnasty New Member

Oh wow, thanks for this tip. I used to shift+tab to bring up the steam overlay but that still results in crashes pretty frequently. Now we just need to figure out how to make a fullscreen windowed mode and we can skip the middle step. :)
  4. UberGaf

UberGaf Uber Alumni

You should be able to (in HostileEngine.ini) set your resx and resy to your monitor's native resolution, and set Fullscreen to false. Presto - fullscreen windowed.
  5. wubnasty

wubnasty New Member

The problem with this is that the title bar for the game shows, including the minimize, maximize, and exit buttons. This offsets the entire game window by the height of the titlebar which results in that same height being cut off the bottom of the screen and the window border hanging over onto the second monitor. With some guesswork or some kind of pixel ruler application one might be able to prevent this, but it still looks different from fullscreen and is a tad goofy looking.

The fullscreen windowed option I was thinking of makes the game look like it's in fullscreen but behaves like being a window (ie, easily being able to alt-tabbed or clicking out of the window to bring focus to something on a different monitor. It's not a make or break option but it's an extra layer of polish for a growing share of users that run multiple monitors and like to do something else on their computer while waiting for a spot to open up on the server their friends are playing on.
  6. Kingpin

Kingpin New Member

forgive me for being too lazy to try it myself but couldn't you just adjust the res/windows mode in the launch options through steam in the MNC properties?
  7. Mail

Mail New Member

He already suggested that, what he wants, what we want, is to be able to have a functioning windowed mode without the title bar.