Alpha Thoughts

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Tomasina, June 29, 2013.

1. Tomasina

Tomasina Member

I have been playing the alpha since the first build, but tend to be fairly quiet on the forum. It has been amazing to see the product progress, and I love the direction the game is going. I only have two points I wanted to make:

1 - As has often been stated, there needs to be a planetary mini-map. I have played numerous games where I lose track of where I am, or I am unable to find the action. I know that this has been discussed in length, so I will not say any else other than to say that I prefer two mini-maps... one that would be based upon the current solar system (allowing quick movement from planet to planet) and the other a Mercator projection of the current planet.

2 - I hate the current gameplay that dictates that when a commander dies, the entire army is destroyed. I have played sooo many maps where I spent my time building up a huge base and army, only to have a player build nothing but bombers, and destroy my commander before I can take out all the planes. I think most basic buildings should be able to build a replacement commander... or at least let me continue without a commander. Personally, I would like the option of building a new commander, similar to building a new base.

Both of these items may have already been discussed or resolved, but I wanted to at least share my thoughts since playing the alpha since its release.

I am very excited to see where this goes... so far it has been money well spent.

Tomasina
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well then what's the point of the commander if it's not important? Might as well remove that entire aspect out of the game! ;p

Part of the current problem is that there is still a lot of gameplay aspects missing, for example we lack and Land Unit/Structure T2 AA and we lack the ability to send the commander off-planet

The other part is that if you didn't take any steps to counter the bombers I'm not sure what else you were expecting to happen. Scout it out and react accordingly.

Mike
  3. Tomasina

Tomasina Member

I think you can keep the commander important, but not necessarily end the game with his/her destruction. A commander death would still cause a nuclear destruction, and I would not expect a rebuild to be quick or cheap... but I would like to see the game be a bit more strategic than ignoring the entire base and simply hunting down the commander... or at least allow this as an option.
  4. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

They will have other gametypes than just assassin ( when killing the commander is the end of the game ). There is not way they won't have a gametype along the the lines of "Total Annihilation" where you have to wipe someone out to win. Plus mods = customization.
  5. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

The logic for games types will be determined by a script (probably JS). However, the component for handling that hasn't been written yet. The assassination game mode was really easy to hack in, and it seemed better than nothing.

If you can find some friends you trust, I recommend team armies. Gameplay continues until all commanders are dead. This gives the game a more satisfying arc.
  6. Ralith

Ralith Member

Maybe you should have spent some of that time setting up AA fighter patrols.