Alpha testing! Lets anticipate what bugs will come up!

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by framerterminater, February 9, 2013.

1. framerterminater

framerterminater New Member

I know that we don't know allot about the exact units that we will be using except for what was show cased in the trailer. However taking into consideration the trailer + everything else that Uber has revealed so far I can already see allot of things that could definitely screw up. Im talking about issues that don't result in Crash to desktop but things that make you go wtf and lead to screen cap + bug report.

Several things I can already picture come from the following

Random Planet Generation-Randomly generated environments are always prone to those wtf results. The programmers can do their best to restrict the generator to prevent them from happening but it is almost impossible to think of everything.

Unit Cannon-I think if you are attempting to do things you shouldn't be able to do normally this thing is definitely gonna be a culprit. In particular I can see it being used with the environment in conjunction with awkward building placement to confine a **** ton of units into one tiny spot. It all depends however on how the cannon will operate when dealing with impassable areas.

Asteroid Ramming- I can see some odd things happening that result from unintended collisions due to orbits. For example a planet with a natural satellite just so happens to pass in front of the asteroid right before it hits the planet. I can see it passing straight through when it shouldn't or just doing something unreasonable.

Now I wonder with the units that we know will be at our disposal what do my backers think could be potentially exploited or break in unintended ways. We could potentially save the devs some painful discoveries too by putting forth these ideas XD!
  2. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

kind of useless thread in the backers lounge imo.
  3. movra

movra Member

4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

ymmd
  5. ronube

ronube New Member

I would expect unit pathing and unit collisions being very buggy initially, and building placements could have their quirks. Resources, and the rate they are produced will most likely have odd bugs as well, perhaps generating more or less than they are supposed to, or some showing as producing more than they should, with others less than they should, and the total still on the mark.
  6. wiccasick

wiccasick Member

I did not get the joke, until i had watched like half the scene. Then I was like... Oh bugs...
  7. zenomaddog

zenomaddog Member

Graphical glitches/bugs/crashes.
    Probably some menu/GUI issues.
    As said above Collision detection.
    Pathing.
  8. syox

syox Member

There will be a bug in the net protocol hat will crash the whole Internet -.-
  9. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

I think a good portion of Alpha is going to be utilizing the community for balance testing. Which is a really smart and awesome idea!
  10. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

I belive it more likely that the "balance" testing will occur in the beta. The alpha is most likely just making everything work as planned.
  11. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

Point taken.
  12. lollybomb

lollybomb Member

13. carbonrevenge

carbonrevenge New Member

There's always going to be some major game breaking bugs in Alphas so I just expect many things to be broken. That's typical though so that's nothing new.
  14. neroangelo

neroangelo New Member

Waht bugs ? hum :
    => bug link with hardware
    => bug link to the IA
    => bug link to the Planet generation
    => graphic and Textures Bug
  15. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Falling through ththe ground was the most common bug I encountered in any alpha or beta. It STILL happens in World of Tanks and BF3.
  16. nehekaras

nehekaras Member

There won't be any bugs at all...

...just "random features"
  17. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

The bugs will be A BRAND NEW RACE in a twist that will surprise even M. Night Shyamalan. :eek:

Turns out that the fight between the robotic factions end as they recognize the value in their subroutine differences, which they must put aside as they band together to fight a new enemy with insidious biological functions. I mean, BREEDING?! GROSS. All entities should be assembled atom by atom, not with messy variances in genetic processes! :x

J.J. Abrams has been contacted to direct and write the movie tie-in. Disney has also been contacted to do a cell-shaded saturday morning cartoon, merchandising, and possibly a new ride at both Disney Land and Disney World. Uber is also reported to have trademarked the phrase "good time" for movies, books, video games, board games, and broadway performances in order to prevent GW from trying to assert that people can only have a "good time" with it's own products.

"I didn't think video games were art, until I played the Planetary Annihilation alpha." - Roger Ebert

"Insects aren't real. This is just a ploy to get you to accept communism!" - Random Fox newslut

"..." - Abraham Lincoln's exhumed body

"What? Why would a corpse be able to talk? I believed that people were supposed to be freed from slavery, not find them now enslaved again to their own ignorance." - Abraham Lincoln's ghost

"These bugs are exactly why we need guns. Who else is going to protect the future from alien invaders that use biological means to reproduce? Biology is just a tool that scientists use to try and disprove God. No, I don't have any children, why do you ask?" - Chet (Random tea "bagging" party member)

"While I did install the alpha, I didn't play it." - President Barack Obama

"The struggle of the genderless robots against the biological forces of the bugs represents the current shift in paradigms away from gender-specific conflict and identity towards a more universal acceptance of individuals as part of a bigger collective." - Random 1st year Philosophy student

"I didn't say this." - John Mavor
  18. dmii

dmii Member

A simple error when working with radians will make asteroids spaz out completely when trying to hit a planet.