Alpha Irony

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Polynomial, June 16, 2013.

1. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Wondering if anyone else is feeling the same way-

After all the hype time about the alpha I now have no interest in playing it and feel like I should just get out of the way and let Uber continue development.

Suddenly I'm way more interested in just waiting it out for the release version than spending a ton of time in this alpha.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Err.. no I am having fun playing and taking care of bugreports. I could use some good 1v1 opponents to play by gentlemen rules, though. Random FFAs are usually way too easy.
  3. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I started my first games with not playing by gentlemen rules but 2 days I wanted to play by them and so far the only game I honestly say I lost was the second game after the first one of the day with no break and my computer switched itself off due to the heat....thinking i'm gonna be a bit careful on how I play lol so all of today has been checking it's ok now.
  4. JamaicanPotato

JamaicanPotato Member

I only play it for testing units and what not, there are enough bugs to fix for the moment so no hardcore is required from me.

I do test out each build but only against the AI. I have no reason to PvP until the mass points are added in.

But it is a great game to play nevertheless.
  5. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Emmm.... That depends. Most games are waaaay to easy, because people build 3 facs when I already have 20. I mean, cmon! We dont have unit limit! But my last-last game was good, one guy was a good turtle, and had some units, but after 50 minutes of game I bugged server with 30+ facs, and turrets stopped reacting. So I just walked in his base and destroyed his com. My ultimate strat, I crash other players with unit limit :D
  6. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Well the point of alpha isnt like playing every day, its like testing the game when new stuff comes out.

Im in quite a few alpha atm.

War for the overworld.
    Prison architect.
    planetary annilation.

the games arent complete. so it wont be as fun to play yet. i fire them up every now and then. but mostly around a patch to test, find bugs, suggest stuff and such.

Its pretty natural imo.

I can barely wait until those games are released. Then hopefully all our testing will have helped improve the gameplay and making the game better overall.
  7. DragonMaus

DragonMaus New Member

Coming at it from a different angle, I agree somewhat.

I feel like all of the interesting bugs and other alpha bits have already been discovered, before I've even gotten a chance to join in.

I know that's not technically true, that there's still a long way to go before we can even call it a beta, but that's how I feel.

This may be the first time I've not been able to work around the fact that I'm using Mac OS 10.6.
    Last edited: June 16, 2013
  8. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

I have yet to try out what happens if all the commanders kamikaze next to each other....
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Hmm, yeah either it says: Draw! Or Draw is not implemented yet and it just randomly shows something else.
  10. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Thanks I did want to test it out but no one else agreed to it
  11. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I spend too much time making screenshots.

That is all.
  12. superouman

superouman Post Master General

I personally was in awe today when i got a planet with a huge ocean
  13. veta

veta Active Member

me2
  14. thefreemon

thefreemon Member

I just keep going in to try new things and to try and break it in new ways. If anyone needs a hand to try some stuff with gentleman rules... Add me on steam. :)
  15. redstar427

redstar427 Member

I can completely understand not wanting to spend time and/or money to play a game that is not finished. If that is how you feel, then it's best to wait for the full retail release and get it when it's finished and at the normal price.

For me, I enjoy testing games like this and give my feedback to make them better.
    I am more excited to play this game than ever. This game has the potential to be great, and on other platforms too, like Linux and Mac.

I am tired of the mediocre cookie-cutter games and the endless sequels, which is why I am investing my time and money on more interesting games like PA. :)

I have already got to play some very fun test games with huge battles and hundreds of units. :D
  16. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I'm interested in modding. So I'm reading... every... last... post... in the ModDev forum as people learn about client side stuff.

Not doing much yet, but that'll change in the coming weeks.
  17. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Pretty much this, I'm playing enough to get a feel for the game and how it's progressing and generally messing around with friends.

Mike
  18. MasterKane

MasterKane Member

To me, alpha is a conceptual and technological compatibility test, and so far it passes. I'm not generally interested in playing before turtling-oriented modpack can be somehow assembled from existing mods. So the main fun will start when server is availabe to community. The possibilities are almost limitless - think of planets covered with energy fields, surrounded by orbital defence belts and bristling with colossal interplanetary weapons ready to erase everything from existence. And if we will actually have newtonian orbital mechanics to be able to move the planet... :twisted: Maybe I'll even mod something on my own, though I've been out of business for a very long time.
  19. dude86

dude86 Member

Poly I do recognise the feeling. I am not feeling like playing it 24/7 at the moment. To me it seems pretty useless to focus on getting better at this while there are so many bugs and balance is still in its infancy.

This however does not discourage me. I still like to play it for testing and confirming bugs or seeing if I can find new ones. It also gives new input for thoughts on suggestions for the game. So I am playing a game about once a day of I have time and see what happens. I could try a bit more with gentleman's rules I guess.

But mainly I like that I am able to see and play the game now. And I am OK with not focusing on being able to play the game competitively.
  20. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I'm very much enjoying the game, noticing all bugs that most people have reported and getting frustrated when something doesn't work properly :lol:

I stream almost 99% of everything that I play and most of the time if I encounter a good player I try to play good but fail cause people discuss stuff in the twitch chat and I get distracted. (that is 100% the reason of course)

Today in my first battle I was murdered by Veta and then later again by a few bombers, it felt bad losing after about 4 days of straight wins :(

I like to think of myself as someone who spreads the word of the game through streams and vids, hoping it will have some bigger effect in the next few months. Enjoying the game helps, unlike you Polynomial traitor.