Alpha Intro Video broken without non-free flash plugin

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by purecaldari, July 24, 2013.

1. purecaldari

purecaldari Member

I'm only posting this as an heads-up and don't consider it a actual bug.

When clicking on the big Alpha-Logo at the main menu a popup window should spawn showing a alpha introduction video featuring neutrino, using a embedded YouTube Video.

This does not work when on a Linux Distro without the official non-free Adbobe Flash Plugin. E.g. Debian is using Gnash instead of flashplugin-nonfree. This will cause two things.

1. On first activation the window will show up but without the embedded Video. Sound of the movie is playing but no plugin is visible. Instead there is only the flashing "Incomming Transmission" text.

2. When closing the window an trying to open it again the whole window goes dark without showing the popup frame and without any option for going back. Neither random clicking or ESC key works. Force-closing PA is the only way out.

After installing the flashplugin-nonfree package all is fine.
  2. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Hasn't worked on windows for a while either. I click it and nothing pops up at all.
  3. purecaldari

purecaldari Member

The 51118 build is the first one where this worked for me. The movie actually opened itself as I ran this build the first time.

Attached Files:

4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's really strange because for me this video open with HTML5 player all the time.
    I don't have "normal" flash player in my Ubuntu, only Chrome PPAPI Flash, so Coherent can't use it.
  5. purecaldari

purecaldari Member

Do you have any other Flash player installed, like Gnash?
    If not it seems to be an issue with Gnash in conjunction with CoherentUI. I will remove all Flash plugins from my machine to see if I can trigger the HTML5 playback if I find some time.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

No, only PepperFlash in Google Chrome which Coherent theoretically can use, as long as it's based on Chromium code base too, but I doubt it really can because it's don't know path to plugin.