"Allied Dox Lost": Was a bug in PA Stats

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by stuart98, September 29, 2014.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Why not?

Oh wait...
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Why I keep saying time and time and time again – we need a way to filter out and customize notifications.

The majority of the notifications we get are absolute crap. Completely unnecessary notifications that only forces us to ignore the notifications – because most of them are useless.

It would also be nice if notifications were clumped together. So rather than get a notification for each Dox that gets destroyed, instead have a notification that says "Allied Army Taking Losses" or something, and only happens when they're taking significant or sudden losses.

Notifications is an awesome idea. Right now they're all but completely useless because there are way too many of them to be useful.
    Planktum, nawrot, ace63 and 1 other person like this.
  4. ef32

ef32 Well-Known Member

I literally lol'd when I first saw this in game. Your dox does't matter, but your teammate's... man, you should know about each one.
    Remy561, Uggeli, bluestrike01 and 2 others like this.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I thought there was a filter mod...
  6. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Today is a sad day indeed. We need to kill the responsible party! I'll get the rope, you find a tree! #RememberDox #NeverforgetDox #Justice4Dox
    ace902902 likes this.
  7. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Truly this day, you shall be known as Doxfriends.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah AlertsManager. But it broke and I am lazy. Though only the UI for it is broken. The library part is still very important to PA Stats.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  9. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Amen to that. Would love to have filters and some way to pin most important ones until they are clicked off. Like enemy/allied commander deaded or spotted, or some planet having fun with halleys, nuke starting (good to know where t hose launchers are).

PS. I hope we get some real GUI from modders soon. Current one is at best indie quality. Uber folks go play some wow and see how its done there (ui modding flexibility), imo that is only one quality thing there, that blizzard did not ruin yet.
  10. cola_colin

I am pretty sure the UI of PA is better moddable than the one of WoW in terms of how the gui is build up. What's missing is the API to get data of the gameworld and give some commands.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The irony of you saying it was "indie" quality.
    optimi likes this.
  12. zgrssd

zgrssd Active Member

Afaik the UI/client is a modified chromium 28 browser. The game is literally as modable/plugin capable as a modern web browser, because it is a modern webbrowser*. Compared to that WoW client modability looks like Office 1995 as far as plugin abilities go.

*getting browsers to use the GPU has been a trend of browser games for years now:
    http://unity3d.com/webplayer
    Last edited: September 29, 2014
    squishypon3 and thetrophysystem like this.
  13. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

Sorry for derailing (i try to remain silent here after this post), but:
    UI has modding potential, we just do not have information and functions exposed from game engine (yet)
    It should not be modders task to make any decent UI, but Uber (and i believe they will someday deliver, hopefully not too late)
    Game is released, but ... you know this all deaded horse beating already.

PS. Maybe something like EPIC did for UT4 development ie Trello with roadmap:
    https://trello.com/b/gHooNW9I/ue4-roadmap
    would help us knowing whats going on, and made people complain less or at least complain only about things not in roadmap.
  14. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

Because you are using mods. The default game does not give notifications for lost Dox. Some mods enable notifications for *everything* to support stat tracking; this works, but produces a lot of alert spam.
    cdrkf, Remy561, websterx01 and 3 others like this.
  15. cola_colin

I guess the mod you are talking about is PA Stats. Somebody report this to me so I can fix it within a day or so :eek:

It's not supposed to change the visible alerts behavior, it has filter code to recreate the stock pa situation, but you guys just kept adding alerts, there maybe some bug in it and I never noticed.
    Last edited: September 30, 2014
  16. wondible

wondible Post Master General

So.... with the game formally released and all, what's the outlook for documenting the game's systems so people know how to use them correctly ;^)
    cptconundrum and brianpurkiss like this.
  17. cola_colin

Without having tested this I think the reason this is happening is this:
    As @masterdigital said I enable a LOT of alerts in the background for stats tracking. I then however hook into the alerts scene and add a filter on javascript level. When I wrote this code messages for "allied units died" did not exist.
    I have a part that says "give me all death messages" and a part that then checks the alerts for the type "I lost a unit" and filters those back to structures.
    Now the "allied unit lost" alert was added. It is a death alert, so every dead unit creates one. However it has a new alerts type. My code is written in a way to pass through all unknown alert types, as that i.e. makes ping alerts just go through. But in this case it means that all allied death alerts are given to the UI, but since the alert type is unknown they are not filtered, so you get a died alert for any sort of allied unit that dies.
    Basically I've made the assumption that if Uber should add new alerts they will make them have their own engine call to set how many of them will be received. Turns out that assumption was wrong and I never noticed as I play only 1vs1, so I ofc don't notice teamgame only issues. People need to report those.
    Will fix first thing tomorrow when I get home. For my minimap work I was agonizing over the alertsManager code anyway, as now I need even more alerts, as I'd love to show "your units got damaged in this location, you are probably under attack".
    cptconundrum and Remy561 like this.
  18. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

That's right... I did add the allied unit alert without a new engine call. I had intended to give it an engine call...
  19. stonberg

stonberg Member

Sad news indeed :(

I've started up a poster campaign, with luck we'll get our Dox back before too long..!

[​IMG]
  20. cola_colin

PA Stats is updated, the alerts visible now should represent what Uber intends for you to see. If anyone notices issues with the alerts please test without pa stats and report if pa stats still changes anything about them.
    cptconundrum likes this.