All I want for the spring patch: multiplayer polish and balance

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by philoscience, January 5, 2015.

1. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

We've got the unit cannon, ranked 1v1, and a big balance update. PA is pretty close to feature complete in my eyes, or at least 99% of the major units/buildings are now in. On the front page right now there are 3 threads complaining about the multiplayer browser. It's totally true. I played PA almost every day this winter break and although there were many, many, lobbies to join, joining them remains a nightmare. PA desperately needs a serious coat of polish on all aspects of multiplayer. Lobbies. Friend lists. As many lobby options as you can pack into the game (I know a unit checklist is a BIG ONE!).

Please, before adding anything else, bring the multiplayer side of this game up to a respectable release state. Consider adding a 'random custom match button'. And of course keep working on balance. Last update was great but we're still not quite there. The jump to T2 still feels awkward, the unit cannon desperately needs some balancing, and T2 air is utterly useless. Naval is a lot better. Also give us one last polish on the map editor - as it is really breathing fresh air into this game. It's still having problems with forgetting custom CSGs- for example saving a planet in 'my planets' and then re-using it in the same system deletes all the custom CSGs, making custom multiplanets a PITA. Uber, play a few matches on the 'Hot Platforms' map. I played it all weekend and it totally changes gameplay, for the better! But pathing is a bit of nightmare. Consider adding a CSG brush or two that act as completely flat, pathable land for making maps like these.

TLDR: polish, polish, polish. Especially multiplayer and balance, with a bit more love to the map editor to get it less maddening.
    Last edited: January 5, 2015
    Zaphys, nawrot, iron71 and 8 others like this.
  2. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

They need to fix the lobby first. So laggy and awful to join games
    Twinstar and warrenkc like this.
  3. philoscience

Maybe it wasn't clear but that is exactly the point of this post, plus a few other things.
    tommybananas and cptconundrum like this.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Didn't @sorian say @jorgenpt was working on it?
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

balance and server... please...
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Server meaning ?
  7. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

like the connection for their run speed and fps... I think?
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Official server support.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Meaning being able to host servers that show up on the server browser?
  10. squishypon3

They're always supporting the server, every time they improve their server they improve the one you use.

Uber and the player's have the exact same server.
    Quitch and cptconundrum like this.
  11. philoscience

Yes, but the content of the post isn't just server. I'm talking general overall lobby and multiplayer tweaks. More lobby options for example. And of course more balance and continued improvements to the map editor ;)
  12. squishypon3

I was responding to @ikickasss :p
    philoscience likes this.
  13. ic3d3emon

ic3d3emon New Member

OP is on the right path...

but not only that. The friends list need changing. Recently played games with unknown players, that you want to add as a friend is nerve wrecking. The recent player list just fills up and doesnt chronogically or alphabetically list the players (sometimes, after 2 min of searching and finding the player you want to add, once clicked his name jumps up and is lost again, making searches meaningless).

Lobbies of 2v2, 3v3 etc use an abundance of planets making games last well over an hour (me mostly 72 min)
    Pls put a Filter for planet sizes and number of planets in the Lobbies.

And another thing, that I find would be cool is if there were international and national chat lobbies (just like Company of Hereous 1 had {German chat lobby was the funniest :D}) those are actually really fun and you meet alot of new players. Can be used to waste time while you friend is opening a lobby or waiting for people to fill the lobby.
  14. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

The lobbies are the only major problem left, unless you consider orbital balance one.
  15. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Friendslist also right?
    philoscience likes this.
  16. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

Weren't we also supposed to get a more advanced galactic wars including co-op?
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

listen to this man
    mered4, philoscience, cdrkf and 3 others like this.
  18. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

With the naval balance pass I see a good future for other classes.

And the unit cannon is balanced, right? Why is it imbalanced? It could be better but nor sure how.
  19. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Benefits from the changes as well, stable lobby= less times to join the potential CoopGalacticWar.
    @CoopGalacticWar in general: First of all we need to have a good concept for this. And for GalacticWar in general. I haven´t heard a good recommendation yet...
  20. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Spring patch? What is this sorcery!