Aiming on PC

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Miles Prower, December 30, 2010.

1. Miles Prower

Miles Prower New Member

If one person plays with a keyboard and someone else plays with a 360 controller, does either have an advantage when it comes things like movement and aiming?

A mouse is more precise than the 360 analog stick so aiming (ex: headshot sniping) would be a lot easier. Is the difference that noticeable?
    Last edited: December 30, 2010
  2. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

its all personal preference but a good PC player will beat a good console player 9 out of 10 times when it comes to accuracy, mouse and keyboard is far more accurate but for me it isn't because i have been on console for around 2-3 years but if i spend that much time on a mouse i would destroy my console self in aiming
  3. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

This thread is total troll bait but I'll bite :p

The mouse is a superior aiming device for the following reasons off the top of my head.
    Volume:
    There is more physical room typically to express the action with a mouse than with a joystick. Unless you play with a insanely high sense were you are moving the mouse less than a half inch in all directions there is a larger area to express the desired action. This alone allows for better precision.

1:1 motion to action capability:
    A mouse can be set up can track motion to action 1:1 allowing for faster reaction time and more consistent aiming. This principle is simple when you are drawing a 1 inch circle with a pencil does the circle get larger if you try to draw it faster or slower? Besides being less accurate the size of the circle will not change. With 1:1 motion to action the players rotation is determined by the distance the mouse moved regardless of the speed the movement took. A joystick requires motion over time to express the same action.

Muscle memory:
    Without looking you can likely write your name semi-legible with a pencil. To rotate the player 180 degrees with a mouse that has no acceleration the distance needed is consistent, because of this it is capable of being trained action. It is arguable that you can train yourself to remember how long you need to hold the stick left to turn 180 however the action is still limited by the sensitivity * time. With a mouse its as fast or as slow as you can preform the movement.

Quality:
    Gaming mice are designed to high specifications in a competitive market. With consoles controllers there is much fewer options, Razer now offers a controller but still its a far cry from the options available for mice.

Some people really like mouse acceleration, It does make my argument a bit less valid but I guess it shows that there is many different methods of using the same controller.
  4. Pluberus

Pluberus New Member

I think I need to save your post RoadKill. I'll definitely be using this in my next PC vs Console fanboy argument. :lol:
  5. kotay

kotay New Member

why are xbox players always posting in the pc forum XD
  6. Miles Prower

Miles Prower New Member

I come from the dark side. Please forgive my ignorance.
  7. Goose

Goose Active Member

Fact is, so long as your reticule goes and stays on the enemy, it doesn't matter whether its on controller or mouse. The difference being, its harder to keep your reticule accurate with a joystick. It IS all preference, if somebody actually prefers a controller and does well on it then you won't see a difference between a controller and M&K.
  8. Xx Tikki xX

Xx Tikki xX New Member

because we are migrating?
  9. noxiousg

noxiousg New Member

Watch some Youtube videos of people playing any multiplatform game which includes the PC. It is obvious that a mouse allows for both quicker and more precise aiming when compared to a controller.
  10. Goose

Goose Active Member

Sure, the thing is, it is possible to have the same accuracy and speed on a pad. It would just be more difficult to pull off.
  11. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

When it comes to shooters, keyboard and mouse is superior to controller in all aspects. End of story. Again. Why do people keep asking this?
  12. hickwarrior

hickwarrior New Member

Although I don't have any experience wit hconsole shooters, I can say that the mouse is much more smoother than aiming with a stick. But maybe that's because I'm not used to aiming with a stick.
  13. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Oh well, I didn't want to compare them but since this is a question that was repeatedly asked by manx Xbox players, here it is:

- Mouse/keyboard: They were not developed with gaming in mind, they were created as an input method for work.

- Gamepad, specifically the MS Xbox gamepad: It was designed for the sole purpose to provide an easy to use input method for a console.

Now you would think that something that is specifically designed for one single purpose is really good at what it does, wouldn't you? Nope. It's the smallest common denominator for everything and everybody. I have large hands and the Xbox controller feels too small and uncomfortable to me.

But surely the really good players love it and it feels natural to them? Actually no. After reading this thread I'm convinced that the gamepad is going nowhere. DeadEye's guide for the Gunner rapidly develops into one question: How to claw properly and will it be painful.

DeadEye himself said that he had to overcome two weeks of pain and discomfort to be able to jump, aim and shoot at the same time. Let me emphasize this: A controller that is build with gaming in mind doesn't allow you to use the sticks and the majority of the buttons at the same time. I don't know how you call that, but I call that horrible design!

However, the plot thickens. A company finally decides to do something about it and they developed a gamepad that would work better for many games. What happens? The MGL threatens to ban their controller.

Why on earth would they do that? It would have bee a large improvement and many players would have had a much better gaming experience. There is only one reason I can think of: Microsoft's greed.

If you had the option to buy a better controller that allows you a better gaming experience, would you buy a standard MS controller? Nope. And the only way MS could sell their controllers again would be to make a better or cheaper controller. But it's way more cost effective to get the MGL to ban the newly developed controller because it would give the players an 'unfair advantage'.

I don't think a PC gamer would see it as an unfair advantage that I have a mouse with two additional buttons that I like to customize in most games. It just feels more comfortable. Or do you consider that cheating?
  14. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

I'll bite on this one too.

For a game where precise aiming is required, mice win.
    For a game where precise movement is required, gamepads / joysticks win.

For gamepads, they're designed for ease of use and assume thumb and forefinger use only. The "crazy" controllers mentioned often use almost every finger on both hands, and sometimes a knee or two, for input. This is not user friendly for new players, and do offer a significant improvement to reaction times over normal gamepads if a player is proficient in their use.

The mouse / keyboard combo while not originally designed for gaming have been updated greatly since their original creation to make them more game friendly. Some mice these days have as many buttons as a game console controller by themselves, and keyboards are designed to give easy access to large number of buttons.

For someone who's never used either, the controller should be easier to use.

The problem with controllers is the skill curve on them starts lower and plateaus lower as well. It's also much more likely that everyone is going to be using approximately the same device for input. The skill curve for keyboard / mouse starts a little higher and continues up far past as people are able to buy very sensitive mice and specialized gaming keyboards.

Gamers like to argue about which is "better", but in the industry there really isn't a debate. It depends heavily on the genre and the way the game was designed, but the good old mouse always beats the controller in speed and accuracy.
  15. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Maybe it's just because I've played way more PC shooters than console, but I feel like even precise movement is easier on PC. Sure I only have 8 separate movement directions instead of hundreds, but 8 is plenty.

MNC examples of movement-related things I can do much easier on PC:

- Bounce on the moneyball indefinitely with the assassin
    - Do a right-angle turn or U-turn around a corner with the assassin lunge or tank charge
    - Jump around on the tops of walls with a gunner or tank