AI suggestions!

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by temeter, August 24, 2015.

1. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

First, kudos to Sorian! While the AI was always awesome - e.g. aggressive play on a single planet, ground unit micro - in certain situations in PAT while lacking in others (think orbital invasions), it generally feels quite a bit more solid. Made it a lot easier to point out two general issues.

Notably it seems to go more aggressive about cracking turtle planets, which I like a lot. There are a few general quirks I think could critically improve the AI:

1. Nuke Fokus. I think this is the biggest and more general one. AI has a huge tendency to rush nukes in every situations and then spam as much as possible, spending insane amounts, especially in stalemates. It's usually very easy to counter by spamming Anti-nukes, there is so much more potential to do more usefull stuff. Leading to point two...
    2. Small invasion forces, which is very relevant to it's continued weakness in orbital gameplay. While the AI does build quite a few units and is aggressive about attacking planets, it does have a tendency to just send small groups. That's not really necessary. It is able to build up teleports very fast, but utilizing them is a weakness. Just let it send a hundred units and more at a time, maybe more, maybe sometimes setting up a forward base rushing an anti-nuke before sending more and more reinforcements. At times these attacks might be a bit wasteful, but that's not really an issue for an AI, that's how they work in challenging games. Especially change one will leave them with much larger armies. I'd rather so much fighting huge invasion armies than spamming a million anti nukes and overrolling the AI with orbital since all these nukes leave it with no orbital fleet.

As a sidenote, it doesn't seem to use unit-cannons. Or doesn't coordinate scouts and units cannons enough, I'm not sure about the inner workings.

Thoughts, comments, am I completely missing the point?
    Last edited: August 24, 2015
    tatsujb and igncom1 like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I have seen the AI lead huge invasions of my worlds, using unit cannons to drop a core of 300 units, opening the way for a teleporter to bring in 1000 more, all while building factories and defences on my own planet as they advance.

But this was of course a game where they had 2 large planets of resources to draw upon, so im not sure how often the AI can pull this off.
    stuart98 and temeter like this.
  3. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

That's what I'm talking about. If you can lock down a planet, then the AI will never be able to crack you, even if they repeatedly manage to land teleports.
    probodobodyne and tatsujb like this.