AI still needs work

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by void2258, October 4, 2014.

1. void2258

void2258 Member

Just played a skirmish where the AI commander built 2 metal extractors and then stood there doing nothing for the rest of the game until I found and began attacking him.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

That's weird.. Replay number?
  3. wowylied

wowylied Member

This happen often when you have set up the AI eco ration to low. Anything under 0.5 is a near guarantee to have them build some metal ext and some power gen but do nothing else.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I hear reports of that.

The AI also does not respond well to large attacks or snipes. If you send in a large force, most of the enemy units run away. The AI doesn't know how to clump up a bunch of units to defend against a large attack.

The AI gets pretty easy to kill when you learn these little quirks.
  5. eratosthenes

eratosthenes Active Member

I created a system wherein the starting planet has no metal, with the idea being that players have to immediately enter orbital and capture other planets. Well, when I tested it the AI has absolutely no idea what to do with no metal on the starting planet and just sat there, not building anything.
  6. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

That's the AI for ya, it try's to avoid being "in the red" so in the event that any actions it takes will put it in the red has a habit of breaking the AI
  7. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

Who's the AI expert @garat? Would you have them read this thread please?

I think the AI needs a backup plan in the event it finds itself in such situations (low Eco setting or no metal spots, however, sandbox AI SHOULD do nothing, as in, disabled from thinking)
  8. void2258

void2258 Member

I didn't even encounter the AI till the end. No sniping or anything. Without any interaction from me it just stood on the other side of the planet the entire game with its 2 extractors. No handicapping.
  9. vrishnak92

vrishnak92 Active Member

It's best to bring up the replay then so someone can take a look for you. If you didn't handicap & the planet wasn't limited in any way, the only way someone will figure out what happened will be through a replay of error files.

@brianpurkiss i don't remember what error files you need, a little help here?
  10. void2258

void2258 Member

I have no idea what you are talking about.
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Look for the replay section in the main menu, click my games or something like that. Then find the game where the issue happened, and post the lobby ID I think it's called here, so one of the devs, or us can check it out. :D
  12. void2258

void2258 Member

Lobby ID: 10622334297709160829
  13. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

The AI is indeed totally broken, especially in multi planet games. It suicides commanders via sending astreuses over umbrellas, doesn't build anti nukes - EVER, doesn't know how to attack with it's units in large groups, has no clue how teleporters are supposed to work, builds Delta V engines but doesn't use them, doesn't recognize where enemy commanders are and frequently just ignores them, doesn't saturate it's planets with extractors even if it is the only AI on the planet for 1+ hours (after 2-3 hours it will eventually build them all... but if you destroy them, it will take another hour or so for it to rebuild ~_~), never builds the annihilaser, has no idea what a "gas planet" is, has no idea how to "macro" aka spam out energy, nukes, etc... which makes it a complete waste of time to play in anything but a 1 small planet 1v1 rush style game...

I think what i'm saying is the AI is horribly broken and does not offer even a semblance of competition to anyone except the greenest of noobs.

Which means i'm forced to play vs orbital fighter spammers (AKA humans) that crash/lag out every game I play.

Great.
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Yeah the AI isn't great at an orbital war.

However on a ground war it is still very competent.

Try playing on single larger planets for the best experience.

And to be fair, most humans aren't great at orbital warfare either.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  15. void2258

void2258 Member

This was a single planet.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Galactic war or skirmish?
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Screw analytics for this one. Just going to page @sorian to thread 64842.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  18. gus4544gs

gus4544gs New Member

I dont see why people say the AI is broken o_O it Builds mostly out of responce to what you do, the Ai Will never build and anti nuke unless you nuke it (as far as I know it might just need to scout your nuke) it also doesnt build umbrellas unless it KNOWS you have stuff in the orbital layer, the Ai in GW is nothing like the AI in skirmish at least not the boss battles. The one thing I know the Ai does not do Is use gas giants