Age Of Empires IV...... ? REVEALED

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by wpmarshall, August 21, 2017.

1. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I hope this is legit... o_O

Nicb1, cdrkf and gmase like this.
  2. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

My favourite developers! Seems to be :)

(no offense to the cool developers here, I've just been a fan of Relic games for longer)
    Nicb1 likes this.
  3. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I hope they do a different 'age' to the previous ones rather than re-doing one from before.

At the same time, I don't want a world war strategy game, that doesn't give enough variety in units IMO.
  4. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Relic games? Oh boy, let's see what they end up doing this time around.
  5. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

let's hope it gets released on steam and not just windows store like halo wars 2.
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'm not sure I'm all that excited for another AOE game. I got totally turned off the last one when I worked out just how extreme the 'RPS' mechanics were (it's to the level that 1 guy who is the counter to archers can kill 100 archers extreme). I used to play these games when I was younger but the more they force the X > Y > Z > X mechanics the less I like these games. With simulated projectile RTS you still get natural counters (fast high dps units are usually good at chasing down slower long range stuff for example)- but without it getting to the point where one type of unit is effectively invulnerable to another.

Anyway, a new big RTS game is a good thing for the genre even if not my cup of tea, so I guess I shouldn't complain!
    icycalm likes this.
  7. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Hooray for a new "RTS" with tiny flat maps, some stupid 200-unit limit, not even an air layer, and made by the people who brought us the dumbest RTTs-disguised-as-RTSes-ever. I predict the best thing about it will be the trailer.

PA and Uber forever.
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. icycalm

9. cdrkf

You're missing the final image though :p
  10. Gorbles

CoH has sight blockers, been present as far back as vDoW (though that engine was pre-Essence and handled them weirdly).

Wondered how long it'd take the low-effort hateposts to start :D
  11. cdrkf

*sight blockers* isn't the same as a physical collision though is it? I think that is the point of that graphic. Anyhow- CoH isn't what this thread is about- it's AOE and I can tell you now it's going to be an RPS fest. Does that mean I 'hate' it? No- I'm sure it will do very well as lots of player like that style of game, and as I said- a new big budget RTS is good for the genre as a whole. Disliking an aspect of a title isn't the same as hating it.
  12. Gorbles

Pretty hard to tell what the low-effort post means, really. Kinda why I called it such. Also, Relic games can actually cause terrain to block projectiles. Depends on the physics used, and the weapon type. And the game, too.

Besides, if this thread is about AoE, maybe correct the posters you agree with, instead of just focusing on those who disagree. Really bored of this kind of non-moderator policing.

Wasn't talking about you with the hatepost, either. icycalm seems to have some issue with completely unrelated games that have zero impact on Age of Empires as a franchise that they're projecting quite strongly into this thread :)
  13. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with RPS mechanics if they are realistic and believable within the game.
    PA has some elements of RPS, e.g. some units only attack air.

I don't think it's realistic for a foot solider with a hand gun to do damage against a Tank Armour.
  14. icycalm

Whoever thinks that there's no such thing as genre progress is living in fantasyland.

AoE was my 1997 GOTY: http://culture.vg/reviews/awards/game-of-the-year.html

But it is no longer 1997, and the genre has long moved on. Therefore, AoE4 is a retro game, and might well be enjoyable for a few days or at most weeks for the nostalgic among us, which includes me, but it is obsolete before even being released, and has no future at all precisely because it is being made with past standards.

About the only way all the above could be wrong is if Relic goes full-on RTT and turns out a micro-intensive game of great tactical complexity. Given their past games, however, I think there's no way this will happen.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

On the topic of retro games

*runs*
  16. icycalm

StarCraft was a mediocre game already in 1998. It was already obsolete on the day of its release. Its sequel, which had so few improvements it was basically a remake, was hilariously obsolete when it was released, and now we are getting a "remaster" of the original obsolete game.

In short, lol Blizzard. They make highly polished mediocre games, and always have, with the exception of WarCraft II, which was very good for its time but never properly followed up.
  17. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

I played a little AOE 3 as I really enjoyed the 1and 2, but bullets going through walls?! It was the same game with better graphics ten years later.

StarCraft is just laughable, it took centuries to basically remake the game with better graphics and a couple of UI improvements and called it 2. However players wanted exactly the same thing with the limitations games had in 1998. Luckily the used StarCraft2 instead of calling it remastered the first time.

I hope they take risks with AOE4, thought lately it seems that nostalgia to the extent of not changing a thing pays well in the RTS.
  18. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Should send me the old one, as I assume you've got it somewhere? ;P
  19. icycalm

I got it off a 4chan archive while searching for my name, as I do once a week or so (I never post there nor read anything that's not about me). I've no idea what's missing from the image and would love to see it.
    Last edited: August 22, 2017
  20. cdrkf

@squishypon3 I'm sure you'd know what I'm thinking of when you see it- Jon Mavor did a new version of that image (with a com behind the rock). The 4th example was for PA showing of an asteroid flying down on top of the com with the tag 'Fixed' next to it :p I've dug through all the places I can think of for where it was last posted and can't find it. It's posted in this forum *somewhere*, however it's buried, possibly back in the backers only section of the original PA subforum...

Thinking about it can you remember that image @wpmarshall ?