Add_to_spatial_db and shields

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by killerkiwijuice, October 19, 2015.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Add_to_spatial_db is a physics property that does something to ammo; it enables ammo to be shot down by anti-entity weapons.

But it's extremely buggy based on my experience. It still shoots down projectiles, however it's unreliable. The shield is absolutely perfect for tactical missiles and seeking projectiles.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this, because if it really is as buggy as I think it is, then shields are not possible.
    Last edited: October 19, 2015
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

sounds more like shields would be a "you'll get a % chance of not getting hit on incoming shots" with some % determined by the bug.
  3. killerkiwijuice

yeah that's pretty much what it's like right now.

I feel like this is the thing that made Uber say "shields aren't possible within our engine", it's probably a dirty hack to get it to function like this in the first place.

But really the issue is that a single dox can easily take down the shield, aka super unreliable. In my video on the faction thread, I seem to have gotten very lucky and recieved a 100% stoppage rate.
  4. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Hrm, what about another option. So instead of making the shield an anti-entity weapon, how about making it a factory. So, it is something like a nuke launcher that builds a projectile, but the projectile's hitbox is larger than the building.
  5. killerkiwijuice

You're almost a genious... I don't know how to make the hitbox a sphere.

And that would make it impenetrable.
  6. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

I don't know how to make it a sphere either xD. Perhaps the robots have only made 'box tech' shield gens so far. Also, that would actually help with the visuals if you have boxy shields that don't cover the top, since it would make sense then that the beam weapons favoured by orbital units get through easily.

It wont be impenetrable, in the same way that units inside a factory can be destroyed, so can the unit 'outside' the factory. I think there is more than one way to get the desired behaviour.

First things first though, do you know if the anti-entity weapon can just be an AOE type weapon? That might make it better at 'destroying' all the projectiles, but I suspect that might crash it if it happens to target an entity that then gets wiped out by another AOE.

Anyway, for making the factory version:
    - The factory builds an ammo with a too-big hitbox.
    - The health of this ammo or unit decides the shield strength.
    - The factory has a long build delay, so once the 'object' is destroyed, it waits a while before it starts building again.
    - The factory has a repair arm, (actually not sure if that is possible, might not be) that repairs the object when it is fired upon. You can give this build arm a slow turn rate to simulate the recharge delay maybe (although the delay won't be reset when damage is received)
    Assumptions:
    - If the factory is still some kind of weapon, it assumes that it is possible to have the ammo behave like units built in a factory, i.e. they have health and can take damage. This would be the ideal situation, since this has build in logic, for instance allowing a limited number being constructed simultaneously.
    - Assumes that you can have an extra build arm on the structure (pretty sure I read somewhere that it is not possible:()
    - If it is not possible to have a repair arm, then the shield will not recharge, it will simply remain low health until the unit is destroyed.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  7. martianhunter

martianhunter New Member

What would be keeping the player from ammasing the construction fabs, and making an invincible sheild?