Adaptive soundtrack

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drz1, December 19, 2013.

1. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

With Howard the music maestro working on the orchestral soundtrack, and presumably getting to a stage where it can be integrated into the game, I thought now would be a good time to discuss the soundtrack again.
    I loved the original TA soundtrack, and particularly how it responded to what was occurring in the game at any given time. With PA already going the same way into AWESOME, I just wanted to mention a few things to get the creative juices going. Bear in mind that, for all we know, Howard has considered all of these points already and is just waiting to put them into the game!

Firstly, I noticed in videos that the "action" music triggers even at trivial encounters, such as when a scout flies over a metal extractor and pings it. I wonder if there will be a selection of much shorter clips that alert you to something going on, but not to make it feel like all hell has broken loose due to a couple of stray shots.
    A follow up to this is that, I wonder if there will be some sort of threshold, whereby unless x number of units are damaged within a certain amount of time, a much mellowed action music is played, until full blown destruction of units triggers much more bombastic audio.

Other things I was thinking about include: a suspenseful music playing during the building of a nuke, which reaches crescendo as the nuke finishes, alerting you to your newly completed weapon of mass destruction; music that triggers upon landing a commander or engineer on a (seemingly) unexplored planet, to envoke the fresh start that is occurring; if a commander is suddenly taken to low health, say by a bombing run or nuke strike, some sort of danger music, that relays how close you were to just being wiped out; what sort of ambient music, if any, will there be, whilst everything is hunky dory and your base is expanding nicely?; marching music, to accompany a huge blob of units tracking across the globe to assault an enemy base for the first time.

Anyway, hope some of these ideas aren't old hat, and that it encourages interesting discussion on how to make the soundtrack to this game even more immersive and awesome!
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm sure they'll improve the music change triggers. Not a very high priority.

It is kinda funny when a Firefly makes it sound like all hell just broke loose though.
    Quitch and drz1 like this.
  3. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Hehe yeah its a bit annoying atm, how that relaxing calm music "WHICH I LOVE". changes because of one scout air plane getting shotdown and such.

Definitely gonna be better when it takes a bit more to trigger, and the music doesnt just change instantly. but more smoothly.
  4. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Yeh, I realise that the triggers aren't properly in yet, I was just trying to drum up some ideas for when those triggers may be :p
  5. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

No more soundtrack loving? this makes me a sad panda....good music is way more important than boring discussions about unit balance ;)