Abrupt quit to main menu because of backspace.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Jackbandanna, December 14, 2014.

1. Jackbandanna

Jackbandanna Active Member

So this problem has been happening ever so often since I got PA 6 months ago. It usually happens when I am picking a spot and talking to the other people before landing, but can happen anytime during the game. When I go to delete text from the chat window with holding down the backspace key, it sometimes kicks me from the game. I think the left menu, that pops up when you press esc, is triggered open somehow and then sends me back to the main menu.

I know that it would be best if this problem was reliably reproducible but I can't do it yet. When it happens it's a surprise and I'm not sure what the steps are needed to make it happen. If I had to guess this has happened more than 15 times over 6 months. Forcing me to rejoin and be a minute or two behind everyone else.
    Last edited: December 14, 2014
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

All you have to do is press backspace when you're not in chat to reproduce it.

I agree it's annoying.
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

But they fixed that long ago. I certainly can't use backspace to get back to the main menu anymore. I've tried many times just now in the current stable build. Can you?
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Yes i still can. I held down backspace and it took me to the main menu.
    xankar likes this.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Any mods enabled?

Yeah I think it should be fixed as well, in fact I think I even know the code that does fix it.
    However I think it happened to me maybe once in the last 3 month or so. Was not able to reproduce at all though. Might be that it is buggy in some way.

EDIT:
    okay I just tried again and holding down backspace indeed throw me back into main menu. Wtf

EDIT 2:
    tested in safe mode again, it indeed happens without mods.
    xankar likes this.
  6. Jackbandanna

I guess it's good that you guys are able to reproduce it because I'm able to backspace lots of times before it actually kicks me. It usually happens when my computer is bogged down by PA, such as before landing.

As for mods I have lots, easier to just take a picture. But I had this problem before I found PAMM.

Attached Files:

7. cola_colin

Yeah I hold down the key. Maybe the code that is supposed to fix it is somehow not being able to deal with that. I'll try to look into it tomorrow or so, maybe there is an easy fix that can be implemented as a mod and then copied by uber.
    xankar likes this.
  8. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Really weird. I tried holding down the backspace key as well. I even kept it pressed while opening and closing the chat with <Enter>. I also did this during the landing sequence and before and after. Nothing. This is under Linux though. Maybe it's different. Anyway, my point is that it doesn't seem to happen for everybody, which may make it kind of tricky to track down. Hopefully cola_colin will find something.

Although I do remember this being a bug back in beta (or maybe even alpha). It's a while ago though, so I could be remembering it wrong. :)
  9. cola_colin

PA#4273

It seems pressing backspace is fixed. Holding it for a "longer" duration however is not.
    I've suggested a fix for it, maybe somebody can test and verify it.

@jables I think this is a rather easy to fix issue that can prevent a lot of "WTF" from players.
    xankar, Jackbandanna and DeathByDenim like this.
  10. jables

jables Uber Employee

I'll get this one taken care of. Shouldn't do that.
    xankar, cdrkf, Jackbandanna and 6 others like this.
  11. Jackbandanna

"[Bug Fixes] Holding down backspace will no longer exit to main menu"

Ahhhh yeah, thanks jables if you fixed it.
    xankar, jables and DeathByDenim like this.
  12. Jackbandanna

Guess I spoke too soon, had it happen again a few moments ago. Game had just ended and I was talking to the players when I held down the backspace to delete letters in the chat menu and it kick me. This is while I'm running the latest update.
  13. jables

jables Uber Employee

If anyone else is seeing this, please let me know. I'm unable to repro with newest build. Holding down backspace in chat just deletes letters, and hold down backspace out of chat does nothing.
  14. cola_colin

Can't tell why, but now it happens even if I only do a single press on a backspace. No need to hold the key down now.
    Weird part it only seems to happen ingame. In the menus I can hold backspace all I want. Holding it for a longer duration crashed the game in one case. In another it brought me back to the main menu.

Happens with mod or no mods.

EDIT:
    Found it. For tests with the fix for this I wrote myself I bound backspace to some function in the settings, I wanted to test that my fix doesn't prevent people from binding backspace to stuff. It btw worked fine with my fix :p

Once I removed the binding for backspace nothing happens on pressing it.
    Last edited: December 23, 2014