A small thing: Pasting passwords

Discussion in 'Support!' started by BeepDog, June 6, 2013.

1. BeepDog

BeepDog New Member

So I use lastpass, to manage my various passwords, including UberEnt. It'd be awesome if I could paste into the password field, because a 22 character password full of garbage is difficult to type :)

It's a small thing though :)
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We'll look into it.
  3. Auchioane

Auchioane New Member

Most systems prevent pasting passwords into a password field because it can be used when attempting to brute force passwords. You should make your password easier to remember because at the length your using there is barely any way someone could brute force it. However key loggers don't care how long your password is.
  4. mzhg

mzhg Member

I am using keepass, and Auto-Type works well in PA.

But, I just found out I have the console shortcut into my password, and the console popup while I'm entering the password .. :(

Edit should have exclusive access to keyboard while focus :)
  5. banzaimonkey

banzaimonkey New Member

Hooray! Thanks :) FWIW I'm using KeyPassX because it's cross-platform (win / linux / mac). It doesn't have the autotype feature, though.
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Worth trying alt + 126 (on the numpad) to try and enter the tilde via the ascii character code. Not sure if it will work though.
  7. sirtoby

sirtoby New Member

This problem is affecting me as well.

This is only the second system I've encountered that prevents you from copying and pasting your password. The Steam client used to have this problem, but it got fixed a while ago.

I'm using KeePass 2.22 and the Auto-Type feature does not work for me in PA for some reason.
  8. sspenning

sspenning New Member

I agree. The ability to paste passwords would be very much appreciated.
  9. BeepDog

BeepDog New Member

That's a reasonable thing to protect against. However, recent articles on password cracking indicate that using a password manager is the best way to go.

It's easy enough to set timeouts on the login, so if you try 3 times in a row, you have to wait a while, or maybe even have that timeout on every time. Multifactor auth would be pretty awesome as well, taking advatage of the free Google Authenticator would be even more powerful. It doesn't rely on google at all, or share any data with them, it's just an Open Source RSA Token, for those that are familiar with that.
  10. cerosia

cerosia New Member

11. asgo

asgo Member

that method is nice, unless you encounter password systems which have different min/max length, require existence of special characters or the absence of them.
    The most hilarious requirement I once saw, was the presence of a specific special character. I don't want to know how many people just added it to the end. ;)
  12. sirtoby

sirtoby New Member

I have accounts for dozens of different services. I use a different password for each of these accounts. I would not be able to remember that many passwords if they used the XKCD method, particularly for those accounts that I don't use very often.
  13. BeepDog

BeepDog New Member

Just FYI, the article I linked prior indicates that even the XKCD method is easier to crack now... :(
  14. mzhg

mzhg Member

Strange, did you add the PA windows to the entry ?

Do you start PA as administrator ?
    If yes, to use Auto-Type you need to start KeePass as admin too.
    KeePass can't type into a windows of a process with higher right than himself.

This trick works for any game which start as admin.
  15. sirtoby

sirtoby New Member

That must have been it. When I first launched PA, the launcher needed admin privileges to update files. I just launched PA again, this time without admin privileges. The Auto-Type feature of KeePass is now working for me within PA. Thank you!
  16. narles

narles New Member

Add me to the list of people who would like to see copy/paste enabled. I use 1Password for Mac and it would be very helpful to be able to copy/paste my password from 1Password into PA.