A small step for C. Taylor, a huge step for developerkind?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Col_Jessep, February 21, 2010.

1. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

[​IMG] <- clicky
    (pic stolen from Spooky, thx)

Chris Taylor about the challenges of independent developers and his new business model. A whole new approach to financing and marketing a game. No more secrets, no more gag contracts, no more development decisions made by a large publisher. Can the love for art beat the money making machine?

Hopefully it will work out and GPG can design Knights and Castles without well meaning 'suggestions' from a large publisher.
  2. Mazrix

Mazrix New Member

Looking at the Suggestion subforum... I'm not sure which is worse...
  3. Col_Jessep

Yeah but there is a difference. Fans make suggestions, publishers make suggestions... ;)
    Besides, fan suggestion forums always contain a bunch of good ideas between hundreds of ideas that are of no use. What CT said: Don't go with the first idea that pops into your mind (forum).
  4. Mazrix

Mazrix New Member

Well, as long as we see non-standard fantasy, I'm fine.
    I just can't stress that enough. I want giant flying manta monsters that shoot lightning and gigantic gray hydralisks.
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Wow, that was uh, interesting.
  6. Techubus

Techubus New Member

This is why I'll be holding back making any suggestions till I at least see the framework they're working in. A game designed from the ground up by a random collection of forum fans would be incredibly bad. Once the games framework is established the communities creativity is a lot more useful.
  7. Col_Jessep

Yeah, he didn't hold back with information. I hope he will make enough money on SupCom2 and KnC to send his kids to college...

Exactly, right now we don't even know if this will be more like Rise of Legends or Stronghold. CT spoke of huge castles but will they be build wall for wall and tower for tower or do you start with a central tower and add 'upgrades' to it. So many questions... :D
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

interesting yes, but how truthful was it?
  9. Col_Jessep

I think there was probably a lot more truth in it than Mrs. Taylor will like. Brad Wardell and Chris Taylor seem to have one thing in common: They don't hold back with information, for the better or the worse...

And despite my criticism for SupCom2's game design, I hope it sells well. Hopefully Kings and Castles will be an epic game and great success, the idea has lots of potential imo.

Btw, the SupCom IP belongs to Square Enix now, THQ only had the publishing rights IIRC, draw your own conclusions... :cry:
  10. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Isn't truth somewhat in the eye of the beholder?
  11. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

I was just about to reply something similar
  12. Col_Jessep

[​IMG] ?