A Particularly Close Spawn Wars Game

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by stuart98, May 4, 2014.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

http://www.pastats.com/replay/14363865495107242418

Gandalf, Myself, and a few randoms play a very close spawn wars game. I go for a large amount of T2 with no T1 other than skitters and stingers, Gandalf goes for a massive amount of doxen and stingers with some Gil-Es mixed in. The results are quite interesting.
  2. tohron

tohron Active Member

Frankly, it was kind of painful to watch you floating metal for so long, and then lose your main base to Gandalf (though I'll admit, it's always harder to do these things when you're the one playing). When expanding your metal count, you should always get some more fabbers, then make more pgens and factories to match your added income. With the amount of metal you were getting, you could have easily rolled Gandalf's army.

Guess the other thing I noticed was the rather pronounced skill distribution of the participants. You and Gandalf (correctly) went straight for T2 as soon as you had your starting mex, but everyone else seemed distracted by other priorities. Though, on the other hand, the next patch might make that behavior a bit more viable.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I wasted very little metal until Gandalf stormed my main base and destroyed all of my pgens. 3 T2 factories and a couple of T1 factories along with a couple of T2 fabbers is basically peak production off of 5 T2+T1 mexes. It was only ~2 minutes before Gandalf wrecked my base that I started wasting a massive amount of metal due to taking the spawns near me.

What Gandalf was doing was interesting because all of his sniper bots were buried inside a mass of doxen. Roughly half of his Gil-E shots were taking out my Gil-Es, whereas most of my Gil-E shots were killing doxen instead of Gil-Es. The weakness of Gil-Es. Slammers might have actually been more effective there, but then Gil-Es would likely have picked them off long before they got within range.

Spawn wars will be MUCH harder next patch and will be even more rushy. This is because the amount of metal available at T1 is changing from 45 to 35 (A 23% decrease), whereas the amount of metal available at T2 is changing from 185 to 155 (A 16% decrease). While T2 factories are becoming far more metal consuming, this merely means that you'll spam T1 factories as Gandalf was doing (5 T1+T2 mexes next patch will support 10 vehicle factories at peak production but wasted metal or 11 with a minor decrease in production speed; it will support 13 T1 bot factories with a tiny decrease in production efficiency; it will support 18 T1 air factories with some metal efficiency decrease; due to the bomber buff this may actually be viable although that will need 25 T1 pgens vs 12 for tank factories or 14 for bot factories; that's either 4,950 or 5,850 excess metal spent on pgens).