A lot more sim freezes (no more straight up crashes) since release

Discussion in 'Support!' started by drewsuser, September 1, 2014.

1. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

I am starting to encounter lots of simulation stutters and freezes after the gold version was put to stable.

Anyone else getting this?
    Here is dxdiag for people smarter than me

Attached Files:

2. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Your AMD driver is a few months old; there is a newer beta driver available:
    Code:
    Card name: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    Driver Version: 14.200.0.0
    Driver Date/Size: 5/22/2014 21:28:04, 1328352 bytes
    Here is the link to the newest beta drivers. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to find them:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 8.1 - 64

P.S. You're not the only one having this problem. I get simulation stutters and freezes at random points in the game, and this is making the game more and more unplayable. Is 16GB of DDR3 RAM really enough to play PA?
  3. Jason335i

Jason335i New Member

I'm experiencing this also, and it doesn't take many units. Until the sim gets fixed, the game is completely broken.

In the attached screenshot you can see that the sim responds every ~19 seconds! This was on a 2v2 2 planet system. So basically every 19 seconds we would get a few mSeconds of movements out of the units.

My drivers are up to date, but it doesn't matter, as I believe the simulation is run serverside. I'm on a laptop with optimus, so the DxDiag doesn't show my 2GB gddr5 GT750m running the latest 340.52 driver.

Attached Files:

4. Jason335i

Jason335i New Member

5. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Having the same problems. I literally just tried to play a game and had it literally freeze for over two minutes, then slow motion at what seemed like 1% speed for five more minutes. The sim froze again and that when I said screw it and left.

This has happened on both windows and linux for me. Of course Linux is totally unplayable now with the BadAccess errors too. . .
  6. gerii

gerii Member

Did you use --software-ui?
  7. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

Linux is playable just fine for me in Arch. It is just that the Coherent middleware crashes the UI with it incorrectly accessing resources.

The patch posted and SXX's post limiting the Coherents to a single process has helped, but Uber (really->Coherent) needs to fix this.
  8. yakcyll

yakcyll Member

How did you make the package by the way, AUR is still not updated?
  9. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I've seen this too, rather irritating

upload_2014-9-1_19-16-29.png
  10. nlaush

nlaush Active Member

What do you mean?
  11. yakcyll

yakcyll Member

I rely on AUR to keep a lot of my stuff up-to-date and I didn't get to install the latest build yet 'cause their tarball is not updated yet.
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Sim is not related to your computer, but rather the server, if I had 1GB of RAM, or 1TB, the sim would not improve.

I'm thinking that the sim is slowing down, potentially, due to the increased number of planets and the new pathing. I could easily be wrong, but it's just a guess.

Also, playing the hand at half speed is still playing, the game is NOT unplayable, it just isn't always as nice as it should be. I imagine that Uber is working very hard to rectify this, so I'll likely be updated before release.
  13. Jason335i

Jason335i New Member

I hope and imagine they are working hard to rectify the issue, but I'll have to disagree. For the moment the game is unplayable. Again last night I tried to play, and again the sim slowed, then froze completely, then this time it actually crashed. The slowing and freezing are par for the course with this latest build. Id say that I end up aborting at least half of my attempted games.
  14. kjotak109

kjotak109 Well-Known Member

I also tried to play a game last night, and guess what?

I finally completed the match in 20 minutes with a planet smash. There was some stuttering, but no freezes or disconnects.

I was playing on US Central and the time was around 6 - 7:30 PM Pacific Standard Time.
  15. dafour

dafour New Member

Got the same problem for a while now,pretty disappointed here.

Attached Files: