A jumping counter skill

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by Bezique, March 18, 2011.

1. Bezique

Bezique New Member

Following on from a thread I made about the amount of jumping in the game...I know that realistically Uber are not about to make a big change to jumping, so I wonder whether introducing a "counter" to jumping would be interesting

If any new pros are introduced into the game in the future, perhaps one could have a skill that pulls people out of mid air, and maybe stops them jumping again for a few seconds. "Grappling Hook" is the obvious example weapon, but my interest is in the game mechanic rather than what type of weapon it is.

Or take a slightly different approach. A trap, similar to the sniper's, that when triggered "sticks" people's feet to the ground for a certain radius.

Different again, a pro who has a grapple that only works when the opponent (or both of them) is/are in the air.
  2. Wandrian Wvlf

Wandrian Wvlf New Member

Jumping counter? If you're using a slow-firing weapon that has strong single shots, aim for where they're going to land. If you're using a rapid-fire weapon that has weak individual shots, start jumping yourself.

Alternately, headcrab since nobody plays anything except Assault.
  3. Bezique

Bezique New Member

I understand what to do, but regardless of a player's skill they will benefit from a skill that "grounds" their opponent. I thought it would make for a nice skill.

My mind drifts to juiced opponents, as that might be an important feature to consider of this idea. A good player in a match with any degree of lag can be very hard to grapple, when they juice this makes them very dangerous. A skill that holds them on the floor would be very effective in enabling people to grapple them. Would it be overpowered in this situation, or would that be a balanced skill that otherwise does not give you a critical advantage in a fight?
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Ice Traps? Ejectors? Stun? Knockdown/back?
  5. Bezique

Bezique New Member

In the base is often where it really matters - no ejectors
    knockdown/back helps, but not all players have it, this would be another player with a related skill, but by no means the same skill - think of this as part 1 of a combo, it would greatly help when the only other defenders near by are supports, snipers, assassins.
    Stun does not stop jumping
    Ice traps are passive and largely rely on the opponent making the error, rather than you directly ensnaring them by using your skill on them - although I recognise that this is not different to my suggestion of having a trap similar to that of the sniper, but it is different to having a form of grappling weapon.
  6. OfficerFuttBuck

OfficerFuttBuck Active Member

Best counter to jumping:

Good aim.
  7. Bezique

Bezique New Member

As I stated previously, regardless of your skill level, it is easier to hit people when they are not jumping than when they are.
  8. jaysofacton

jaysofacton Active Member

Instead of a new skill wouldn't it be easier to make jumping like
    the assassins lunge - a slight but noticable delay between lunges?
    Words of wisdom.
  9. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

charge comes to mind here. or just skill. really.
    it may be a problem for grapple-focus classes, so just the assassin; whos focus on pros should take a back seat to bot control anyways.

but even then, i still get grappled by the better assassins while clawing as a gunner.
  10. Bezique

Bezique New Member

I suppose what I had in mind was something that hits people as easily as the support hurt/heal gun. One character with one skill, which I imagine only really does it's job when upgraded at flooring somebody long enough for another player to clear them. I think it would be an interesting extra thing to worry about when juiced. While it may also have interesting anti-claw applications.
  11. Wandrian Wvlf

Wandrian Wvlf New Member

I think the idea of a grappling hook/magnet or similar mechanic would be interesting, but it'd really need to be on a new class to work. And of course adding a new class would be a PAIN to balance.
  12. Saint Mudknot

Saint Mudknot New Member

I play mainly assassin, i have around 5k grapple kills, and over 2500 blade weapon kills. Jumping opponents are far from an issue. If someone cant kill a player who is jumping, they clearly have really bad aim, maybe should change to a sniper for the field advantage view. Other than that the grappling hook idea isnt very skillfull if its like the heal/hurt gun, and besides it would be a game breaker to add this to everyone. Bezique im starting to think your the person whos having a problem with jumping opponents, and not the "new people".
  13. kingdom

kingdom New Member

In my opion that would just be a waste of a skill slot, blocking someone from jumping doesn't have much practical use. I would much rather have a skill that stuns,blinds, damages, knockbacks, dot, or froze an enemy than one that stops them from jumping.

If you are having a problem with people jumping then simply get the higher ground, which you should be going for already, and their vertical change will mean nothing. As an assassian if they don't know you are their then time your grapple and if they do know you are there you shouldn't even be trying to go for it, you should be running away destroying bots or finding a new target.
  14. Bezique

Bezique New Member

As I have stated in previous threads. I consider myself to benefit from jumping more than I suffer from it. It's a game feature, so I utilise it, but that doesn't mean I like it. I am firmly of the opinion that a pro with such a skill would cause me problems more often than it would help me.
  15. PlumbumTheEpic

PlumbumTheEpic New Member

I bunnyhop to get out of trouble.

It never works.

Of course, thanks to lag, it always works against me.
  16. salomdi

salomdi Active Member

and air grapple would be win though. just sayin.