A Deaf Gamer's Wishlist

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by ManaCorporation, December 2, 2010.

1. Bezique

Bezique New Member

Regarding assassins and indicators on screen telling you they are near, it might be most beneficial to have the icon permanently visible, and then only have it change its appearance when cloaked assassins are near, this way the degree of change in the icon's appearance can be tuned until it is obvious and therefore allow the hard of hearing and deaf to gain similar benefit as to those who can hear the hum. I suspect that having the icon either be there or not would be much more difficult to balance.
  2. Shurryy

Shurryy New Member

I don't think an Icon is a good idea.
    Point:
    - An Icon is a visible hazard. You have to pay attention to it, normal players do not have such an icon, they have hearing and don't need it so this puts you at a disadvantage constantly having to watch the icon, and eventually you'll just forget it's there.

- A rumble feature is a lot more preferable as it's not a visible hazard you need to pay attention to on the screen, you feel it instead of hearing it.

The trade is like this:
    You can't hear it? Feel it with Rumble!
    You can't hear it? Pay attention to this icon for the whole round of the game instead of focusing what's ahead of you and get distracted!

Which one sounds preferable in this case?

I support rumble.
  3. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

WHAT? SPEAK UP!
  4. leov1993

leov1993 Post Master General

Why would you reply to a thread that has been dead for 3 months?
  5. That Dutch Guy

That Dutch Guy New Member

Because this is still not present?
  6. Bezique

Bezique New Member

I take your point, but a further consideration is the magnitude of the sensitivity of each sense, sight and touch. Our hands are sensing little during the game, any feeling is therefore strongly recognised. Our ears are already multi-tasking, just like our eyes. This might give an unfair advantage the other way.

Both solutions can do the job, providing adequate tuning takes place. he only obvious limit is: can rumble packs operate at a low enough "rumble magnitude"? If their minimum threshold is too high then players using that setting will always have an advantage.
  7. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8910

PC gamers came across this bridge recently too.

Their idea is make captions remove sound. You can have one or the other, but not both. Most people won't choose captions then, unless it is a damned necesity. Preventing assassinations won't be worth getting shreded by a minigun.

Also, I support using the Search function instead of making new threads. Necro as many posts as are necesary.