A Deaf Gamer's Wishlist

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by ManaCorporation, December 2, 2010.

1. ManaCorporation

ManaCorporation New Member

Hi Devs and anyone else with hearing problems/no sound systems;

Reading on threads where audible objects are involved - especially airstrikes - has me wondering.
    You guys released two new controller schemes, so I was wondering if you would consider the possibility of an alternative 'warning system.'

As it is of now;
    Assassin's Cloak makes a hum.
    Assault Bombs makes some sort of a buzzing noise.
    Airstrike has some sort of a OMGNUKEISCOMING noise.
    Sniper Flak has a hissing noise.
    Firebase has a chirping noise. (like a bird? that's a odd image.)

However, for me and my fellow deaf players, those noises/warnings are utterly useless. We have to SEE them to be aware of it. Granted, Flak is extremely simple to notice, and a firebase's name appears when in view. Airstrike has an obvious AoE for anyone to see.
    Also, apparently, Assault bombs can only be heard by enemy Pros who is too close to it. The cloak, same as the bomb.

So my radical suggestion; allow an alternative setting option to DISABLE ALL SOUND-RELATED WARNINGS and to ENABLE VIBRATION WARNINGS.
    What this means; Assassin's cloak, Assault bombs, Flak, Firebases, Airstrikes, all no longer make any noise -- along with anything else I may have excluded here. Instead, a vibration is sent to the controller.

I understand some people can barely hear the assassin's cloak - thus the vibration would be extremely light and barely noticeable. (Think getting poisoned in the game Schizoid)
    Airstrike's noise is loud and apparent, thus the vibration would go insane. Flak would follow its noise (can you hear it even when not being wounded by it?) Assault bombs would follow its noise:to:vibration.
    I hope you see the pattern.

That said, getting shot at and such has a light vibration to it at times. With all this vibration action happening, it'll be difficult, at times, for one like myself to differentiate between them. WHICH IS PERFECTLY FINE. Because when you hear multiple things, it's hard to identify a specific one. The same applies to multiple vibrations.

I'll repeat; allow an option to DISABLE SOUNDS in order to ENABLE VIBRATIONS. I highly don't suggest allowing both of them at once as to allow any player to choose whether they prefer to be able to hear everything OR to feel everything. Basically, be deaf or be numb.

Also, if not more important, I want Mickey Cantor lines to be visible. I want an option to enable subtitles for announcements, annihilator being ready, and whether else is being said in the game. I have seen a few threads where people said Mickey would announce this and that and I will be like "Sheesh, no fair, I want to know that too!"

Thanks for taking the time to read this, devs and fellow players. BTW, this game is amazing! Well beyond nearly all games I have played in my lifetime. Taking my wishes in consideration would make this game that much better for me and others in a similar position.
  2. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Great post.

I'll keep this handy for reference on future changes.
  3. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Agreed, good stuff for us to think about. Thanks.
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Great post indeed. Many of us don't even think about deaf gamers, so this is a good eyeopener. I will say at first I was thinking it could be abused but when I kept reading I realized it's an awesome idea. The addition of Subtitles are a big thumbs up from me too.

I hope your wish comes true someday. :)
  5. tlbww

tlbww New Member

I would enjoy switching game SEs for rumble.
  6. Organous

Organous Member

I think it'd be better to have something small and visual. Even with the hum, you don't always notice it over the chaos of the battlefield. However, there usually isn't much chaos in your hands, so a vibration would be a dead giveaway. Now if you make a dagger or some other such icon in the upper-left corner of the screen and have it grow proportionately to the Assassin's proximity, that's something you actually have to pay attention to notice.
  7. ManaCorporation

good references = Left for Dead, there's an subtitle option to show "growling," "thumping," etc. for when special zombies are incoming/close by. It's amazing and have saved me and my team a lot.

Mickey lines could be fonted blue, annihilator use could be in red, etc. color codes for subtitles. Good thought considering how I get to know who just killed who up-to-date but not for anything else.

Or, similar to when you get shot, it shows the direction of where you are being shot at from. (the red cursor at center of center pointing in the direction of the shooter) it could be also used to refer to other objects.
  8. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

We do have this. Maybe it's too subtle?
  9. Organous

Organous Member

Oh I do notice the shot direction. It actually freaks me out when I'm playing on the top split-screen and my partner's being shot from the front. Seeing the red below me makes me turn around and check instinctively. Then I see it coming from the same area and I realize I'm not being hit. :(
  10. ManaCorporation

I meant use the existing red cursor for other things; maybe a green (yellow? blue?) cursor and blink it briefly to indicate annihilator being ready, among other things that can be added? -- or a red cursor with the letter A in it pointing in the annihilator's direction.
  11. Jraw20

Jraw20 New Member

I love how the first two replies are from the devs! <3 Uber!
  12. Organous

Organous Member

I think having such an alert for stage-related items would just be unnecessary. Anyone with an interest in the Annihilator is going to check in to see its progress.
  13. Cardboardwarior

Cardboardwarior New Member

I think it is a really bad idea to have a HUD indicator for nearby assassins.
  14. Organous

Organous Member

It's either that, have vibration, or shut out deaf gamers from a crucial gameplay aspect. Personally, I feel #3 is out of the question, so it's which other option is better (or the lesser of two evils). I already explained why something visual is better than vibration.
  15. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

a semi-transparent icon would be cool, but i think i like the vibration more tho.

i was thinking vibration or icon would be acceptable ONLY for these reasons. cuz id kill the devs if they made captions for crossfire sounds that are barely noticeable as is. ever play half-life 2 and put captions on? small scratching noise is captioned "headcrab zombie moan" so the game dictates to you what kind of enemies are where.

which means the game would LITERALLY tell you airstrike or assassin right there at the bottom of your screen, think about that. not difficult at all for you to find assassins anymore. they might as well not have the cloak anymore, that would be more fair as to not give assassins false hope that is utterly crushed as everyone has captions on.

the vibration thing makes sense tho, a light vibration when you are in the area of a airstrike or assassin is fine, a heavier vibration when your point blank is fine. if the assassin is that dumb to hover around you for that long, they didnt deserve the kill anyhow...
  16. ManaCorporation

I'm probably asking for too much when it comes to assassins; but certainly would love to see an option to turn on/off added subtitles for in-game announcements. Anything in-between (airstrikes, etc. etc.) would be great as well.

I like some of the suggestions people are throwing out here.
  17. Saint Mudknot

Saint Mudknot New Member

I like how the OP states that you should only be allowed to use game functions for deaf players and it will cut off the regular gameplay functions.

Even better i give props to the idea of vibration warnings, that is a great idea because there really is a lot going on with the screen.

I see UBER feels this is a positive thing to look into and will benefit not just deaf people but anyone with hearing problems. ("Grandpa you can finally play video games!" "Whaaaaat?")

A subtitle warning system wouldnt be to bad either. Like watching TV have a black box pop up with a little bomb logo and say "AIRSTRIKE" would be helpful i would think. the black box would stand out from the ever so colorful game.

PS: Subtitles for mickey cantor would be funny lol, i think i would too have them turned on :)
  18. tlbww

tlbww New Member

Most shooters shut out deaf gamers. I imagine (unfortunately) uber won't offer anything visual/rumble related. I know personally, that I would use any feature that would allow me to find AZAZNs easier. Unless they made all footsteps give a slight rumble, I see any option that gives an AZXAZN radar only gimps the class as I highly doubt people would ignore a rumble or visual feature.
  19. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

a mild rumble, getting stronger as its closer. this wouldnt be as much of a assassin alarm.

a caption that says [Assassin Cloak Hum] would be too much a dead giveaway. [Airstrike Beacon Chime] or assassin cloak hum would caust players to immediately be aware of things no matter what. again, the assassin might as well lose the ability to cloak, so you save people from false hope that cloak might actually make them harder to find (its false hope, the assassin would be much easier to find with captions than just being able to see her like a normal pro)

the vibration request is a humble request, i dont see it as asking for much.
  20. Z Bear

Z Bear New Member

One of the best posts ever, and props to the Devs for such quick and positive replies. This would also be a great feature for those of us whose wives sometimes sleep on our lap while we're playing. ;)