5.1 Surround?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by KyneSilverhide, March 1, 2014.

1. KyneSilverhide

KyneSilverhide New Member

Hi,

While testing the new patch, I discovered that only two of my 5 speakers were actually working when playing PA.

Is there any workaround to switch to surround?
  2. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

The mix was done for 2.1 I believe. So I don't know if there's any workarounds for that.

Check out around 4:10 and 41:51 Is about 5.1 audio.

Does the sub work at all?
    Last edited: March 1, 2014
  3. KyneSilverhide

Interesting, thanks for the info.
  4. valheria

valheria Active Member

Use a upmixer if you really want all speakers doing sound. I take it you are using a speaker system for a desktop pc and not a hifi system?
  5. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how useful that would be in an RTS. The action is always in front of you.
  6. KyneSilverhide

Yeah, it's not top quality : Logitech X-530 (no advertising intended)

I don't want something like sound localization or any fancy technology. It's just that, with only two speakers working, the volume is pretty low... and flat.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no ...not really no. actually wow that's pretty misinformed considering this one is in 3D space.
    here's a post from the thread I stared on 5.1 exactly a yea ago.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/5-1-audio.43918/#post-676649
  8. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Things happening on other planets are too far away to reasonably give off sound.
  9. tatsujb

not to mention that sound can't carry through space so your reasoning isn't the reason there wouldn't be sound in this scenario :
    [​IMG]
    but by that logic uber shouldn't have a biome sound for space and no sound should be heard in space at all. but we're playing a game so let's wisen up.
    Hearing a planet or ship looming up behind you would be awesome.png and that's final.
    Last edited: March 3, 2014
    wheeledgoat likes this.
  10. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about sound in space, it's just that something happening on another planet isn't relevant to your audio environment in any way and would sound weird and distracting if it was. Just like, in fact, hearing commander explosions from across the solar system currently is.
  11. tatsujb

that belongs in another thread then.

because I personally like to be informed of such things that way.

plus by your current reasoning in which these sounds are "distracting", distracting you from what? from your current situation.

my suggestion of having audio let you know of something "behind" your current viewpoint fits your intent of letting you know what's up where you are.
  12. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

There probably should be a notification, and you can always see the "ANNIHILATED" state in the player list. But breaking the rules of sound propagating across distances to give that information is bad.

I always think a nuke went off right offscreen in my base, because that is exactly what it sounds like.
  13. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

To do a proper 5.1 mix would take a few months. Just as it took to do the stereo mix. They need to spend some time working on sound effects, ost, etc. but maybe later they could.;)
  14. tatsujb

re.jpg

you need to understand that I'm not talking about the nukes in the distance

I'm talking about what's happening right here but that you can't see because it's right behind your camera.

And I believe that disserves integration for immersion purposes.
  15. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Please don't reply in oversized image macros.
    aevs likes this.
  16. tatsujb

17. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Sound generally, barring special circumstances, obey the inverse square law just as with anything that propagates radially in 3D space. Which is a fancy way of saying "things that be far away cant be heard yo". And planets are generally pretty far away from each other. Meaning you cannot, and do not, expect sounds to be heard from one to the other.
  18. tatsujb

WELP I tried.

unfortunately it seems you didn't read the article I linked so I'll have to quote it here :
    is there any of that in space? NO. planet to planet sound propagation does not exist for that reason, not progressive weakening in propagation.

by dint of having the most determined will of taking me for a dunce you made yourself one
  19. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Sound in space is a common concession in space related media and is not what we are talking about.
    wheeledgoat and aevs like this.
  20. tatsujb

ahhhhhh good so we're dropping the realism argument, that's what I wanted C.F. here :
    so what's the problem with having the sound a planet makes in PA (which BTW if you didn't know; planets in PA make sounds. you hear them with music off when zooming out) behind your head in positional audio when its behind you?