3v6 Pro Strats! (Win in under 5 minutes!)

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by wpmarshall, July 10, 2014.

1. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

2. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

88/88 this was gr8 m8.
  3. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

This video made laugh hard, nice job editing it man!
    wpmarshall likes this.
  4. wpmarshall

Here is the precursor 3v5

5. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

Quite fun to watch - thanks!

However, as with a lot of other casts/casters (including Uber's), there are some voice levels that are out of line with the rest, which gets a bit tedious on the ears. I'm not up on casting technology, but is there a way to normalize the audio on the voices?
  6. wpmarshall

I have been tweaking with voice levels since this video (recorded about a week ago) but it is very difficult to get the volume spot on for every person in a game without doing numerous soundtests before the game which inevitably take up lots of time, and given that with my internet a round trip of record, edit, render, upload takes anywhere between 5-7 hours (depending on length of game) I'd rather keep the fiddling to a minimum if you see what i mean.
  7. arm2thecore

Yes, certainly.

Again, not knowing what it takes to cast, I just thought maybe if you were able to record each voice on its own track (audio file), then it would be trivial to run an audio normalizer on them to shift them to appropriate relative levels, then mix them together with the game audio track before uploading.

And, perhaps a compressor on the individual voice tracks beforehand so a shout when a commander pops doesn't render the rest of the track really quiet (compressors make the track more consistent in its audio level).

Could use the free Audacity audio program for this type of thing, given you are able to record voices to independent tracks, or if you're handy with Linux you could automate it with tools such as 'normalize.'

This would alleviate having to tweak audio levels and do sound tests manually pre-game, which has got to be a pain in the arse. All of your audio levels would be "fixed" post-game with this method; pre- or in-game levels would be of little concern, as long as you're getting a good level of reception.

Possible? Too much hassle? Just thinking it might give you a step up on other casters, but maybe it wouldn't even work... I'm not a caster, so I don't know.

In any case, keep up the good work! :cool:
  8. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

That's where it all falls down. Voices are communicated using Teamspeak or similar program and are all on the same 'track' and are also live into Marshall's ears and into the recording simultaneously.

Outside of individually tweaking everyone's audio levels in the teamspeak (possible but fiddly and a pain to do on-the-fly), there's not much that can be done. Some people also get inexplicably louder or quieter throughout proceedings too.
  9. arm2thecore

OK, thanks for the explanation. You'd think someone would make a program that would allow the recording of a "session" (the duration of a game), and afterwards automatically normalize- or at least have the option to.

Guess the poor casters aren't privy to that technology yet! Would sure make their lives easier.
  10. wpmarshall

Believe me if it were possible I would look into it as improving based on feedback and viewer needs is one of things I am all for.

If only there were a way to cast live....? (I have 3 microphones, 2 wireless, at home and audacity installed) :p
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

You should bring 'em all round to mine. I have the internet to livestream and one of these ;)
    wpmarshall likes this.