3000 Radius planet multiplayer gameplay

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by tatsujb, April 19, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

It is possible and I think the devs should really come and take a look at this because they would probably want to know how PA behaves in this case so they can better optimize it, and help it better use the PC's specs.

If you want to do the same just follow the instructions here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/question-loading-a-special-system.58537/#post-915086

only the host needs to.

A couple extra instructions : While in lobby it will be a difficult time, as you will be loading for 7+ minutes and as the loading animation nears completion you will experience serious UI lag that will persist for about the same time it took you to load. By UI lag i mean the screen will flash black often, sometime for prolonged periods and, of course, verylong time to see changes take effect.

I call this the *after loading* loading. i think once Pa has finished determining the shape and tree positions of the Planet it then proceeds to apply the textures : normally this is a quick process, but not in the case of a gigantic planet and when you're running low on memory.

A prerequisite : lots of ram. this particular planet took 8.7Gbs so 8 Gigs of ram is insufficient for 3000, you can do it but you'll get even more texture tearing then I did.

After the After Loading process is done you will retrieve 100% of UI speed and responsiveness.

* you should wait for this to happen to everyone in the lobby before launching *

once in game PA will be extremely responsive, you'll find it hard to beleive you can spin around a planet that size at full speed.

You may however experience alot of texture not loading untill you are fully zoomed on them.

I guess this is just a question of graphical memory and how many textures you can have loaded at once because of this limit.

really I believe this should be at least partially offloaded to the RAM

me and my acolyte, Rove had 16Gigs and 32 Gigs of ram respectively,

Also the mass point spread-out is much greater I believe it is the same quantity as a 1600 radius planet. this makes for much better paced games and a feel of exploration!

so without further ado:
    Last edited: April 21, 2014
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

In my experience it's main problem when playing on 2000 meters planet. Good that @sorian said there will be changes in hot metal spot placement work in new version of game.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Testing game on 2500 meters metal planet (only 4GB RAM used) with AIs at moment so few more thoughts.

I suppose there is some problem in how texture quality handled. In my tests I see that with "High" virtual textures (1GB VRAM used) I have less glitches than on "LOW" (800MB VRAM used). So it's looks like this is something devs still able to improve.

VRAM does offloaded to the RAM if game using more memory than your GPU have. Don't forget there is other apps on your PC using VRAM (e.g browsers use a lot of video memory) so even if game just using 1.5GB VRAM and you have 2GB it's doesn't mean there is free VRAM left.

There also was other answer from devs (I'll link it here if find it). Basically there is no reason at all to offload generated textures into RAM because textures of some large planet in max quality will use a lot more GBs than any PC around have RAM available.

You can as well put "viz VTMips" in console and then you'll see how many layers of texture quality PA have. :)
  4. tatsujb

then i will INSTALL MORE RAM : D
    [​IMG]
  5. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

A clear example that they need to fix the zoom issue with icons... look at how far you need to zoom out to get them appear!
  6. tatsujb

it bugs out because of the cumulation of issues towards the end. it didn't do that in the beginning of the video.

but yea Icons are utter **** :p do you notice how they slightly scale bigger and smaller as you zoom out?
  7. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

this is awesome. more slow paced tactical matches please.
    Brokenshakles and tatsujb like this.