~300 t1 bombers destroyed by 3 or 4 t2 fighters b4 a single bomb dropped

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by tidus1492, February 27, 2014.

1. tidus1492

tidus1492 Member

Was messing around with full air strat last night and this happened. I was taking mexes across the map and keeping resources at low negatives, and putting full resources otherwise into bombers for the entire first 15-20 minutes. I had a ridiculous number of t1 bombers, and they all died in about 2 seconds to a small handful of t2 fighters before dropping even 1 bomb on the tanks below. This felt really unbalanced.

edit: I see that in the gamma patch notes the t2 fighters got a 50% aoe nerf and 2x mass cost so maybe that'll be enough (the aoe decrease). It was just pretty broken how useless t1 bombers were against a small # of t2 fighters. He could have maybe even just had 1 fighter.
    Last edited: February 27, 2014
    drz1 likes this.
  2. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Also, the ground AA (bots, vehicles and turrets) seems to have been buffed, so that should help too. Time to get playing to find out for sure!
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

New patch out today man, they nerfed T2 air a bit. Give it a whirl!
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

But not T2 fighters......
  5. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

There is no reason whatsoever to build T1 bombers for any purpose. They cannot do anything other than die. They would lose to a wall section in a straight fight. Ten of them can't take a single mex out if they tried. Save your metal, rush to T2.

T1 fighters are acceptable in small numbers before you can get T2 out.
    FrozenLord and vyolin like this.
  6. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

T1 bombers pop fabbers quite effectively... If they can get close enough.
  7. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

There is a very good purpose to build them, I do so every 1v1 game. That purpose is to kill your foes fabrication bots early game (3->7 min in). This is actually quite a big win and will mess up your enemies expansion and base building. later in game they are pointless but in early game they are extremely good at frication bot sniping, and stopping early raids.
  8. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Which is great unless your opponent has built any kind of fighters.