30 Minute Dox War

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by cptconundrum, August 12, 2014.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Just had a great battle with Yaegz that went on for a half hour, which I didn't even think was possible in this new balance. I don't want to spoil too much of it because I'd like to see someone post some commentary for this on Youtube, but I will say that this game was very intense and we both were constantly attacking and defending. There were several points where we were destroying each other's bases at the same time.

http://pastats.com/replay/8322420589421480485
    elodea likes this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

You want commentary? on it!
    stuart98 and cptconundrum like this.
  3. brianpurkiss

Recorded! Editing now and will upload... probably gonna upload it when I go to bed and it'll be posted tomorrow morning.

That was a fantastic match.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Well that was painful to watch :)

SPOILERS!

I feel you threw the game at minute nine. You get Dox into his undefended base, then don't proceed to wipe out all his metal. Looking at their behaviour I suspect you weren't controlling them at all. Indeed, not controlling your big groups is what lost you the match I think. You had the advantage for a fair portion of the game, but you kept parking big groups and then letting them get sucked in one-by-one through their roam behaviour. Your huge death balls were constantly picked apart and destroyed piecemeal.

When you finally did smash his metal yours had already been destroyed and it was too late.

Interesting with yaegz mixing in the tanks. Not sure it was effective though.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. cptconundrum

I had you in mind when I posted it. You're always so quick to do commentary on request!

Yeah, I'm just slow. That's where his advantage playing at 220 APM really helped win it for him.
    http://pastats.com/chart?gameId=190503
  6. cptconundrum

Thanks for that, Brian.

I just want to add a couple things because that game was so intense.

• My starting area was actually on the other side of the crack but I managed to squeeze my commander into a tiny area over where I ended up.
    • I tried to go orbital because we saw Elodea reclaim all of Matiz' factories from orbit to win KOTP.
    • Commander on the front is actually a very strong move against dox. You can have a good estimate of the size of the opponent's dox armies so you know when they will be big enough to overrun you. It takes a lot of bots to kill a commander. Having the commander out on the edge of your base means you don't need as many bots to defend on that side, which was very important to me where I had a long thin base and a lot of my production was on the other side of the base. By the time he killed my commander, the game was over anyway. I knew I had no answer to a dox force that large and retreating would just have cost me half my base, so I just let the game end.
    mot9001 likes this.
  7. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

8. brianpurkiss