2 problems I came to realize playing galactic war today.

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by banaman, May 24, 2014.

1. banaman

banaman Member

granted, galactic war is still REALLY new, but seeing as I realize these problems are more to do with the game and the workings of multiple planets itself, not so much galactic war specifically, I thought I should point them out, just in case it was overlooked at some point.

1: AI strains the hardware when left unchecked.
    normally, this isn't an issue... but what makes it worse is if there is a multi planet start where the ai is left to roam a planet on it's own, be it ally or enemy. what made this clear to me was in galactic war there was a random map that wound up having my 4 sub commanders and the enemy's commander and 4 sub commanders and myself (10 players total) scattered between 4 worlds. this not only led to horrible lag, but at one point literally made the game crash back to galactic war screen. while I understand AI should be building what it can, and left unchecked having hundreds upon hundreds of units in a game is going to tax the system... I don't think it should be left in a way that can go so far as to crash the game completely.

2: moving armies via astreaus is tedious
    again, normally this isn't an issue, as normally you have things like asteroids, or laser platforms, or laser satellites you can build en masse and just send all at once. however, I didn't have advanced orbital tech in the galactic war battle, meaning I had to actually rely on the astreaus to (gasp) move units. I quickly came to realize, that short of clicking each individual astreaus, and telling each one to pick up each unit, I could not find anyway to do it all at once. making the process a hugely tedious process, which since it left the ai on the planet on it's own even longer... was just making the game laggy even worse. is there any way you can automate the astreaus transport functionality? like I know in supcom there was an ability to 'ferry' units that you would have the transport pick up waiting units, ferry them to the destination, then come back. and repeat on it's own. same with telling them to assist the factory. also... I did even try rushing a teleporter, but because the enemy was so entirely entrenched and the game so laggy, they killed it off in little time at all, not nearly long enough to make a difference.

between these 2 points, it made the battle nearly unwinnable, and for no fault of my own at all. and not even unwinnable as in I lost, just simply unwinnable as in nothing I could do.

same goes with possibility of having the enemy start in water, if you don't happen to have water, air or space... your screwed.
  2. Crembels

Crembels Member

1. I agree that the AI can kill a game. According to Sorian the AI is broken and exceedingly dumb at the moment, so in some future iterations it will go back to being a menace.

2. Heard of Area Commands and Teleporters? the Teleporters are available at all times and are quite hardy at the moment. When it comes to beating the massive air response team from the AI a good idea is to stream in a flood of Spinners to blow apart as many aircraft in the first pass before your tanks get through.

In regards to the Astreus you can give Load as an area command. Select all the Astreii that you want to load up and drag the load command over the targeted units, each one will fly over and pick up a unit. Queue up a Move and Unload command while they're doing that and they will head right over.
  3. quigibo

quigibo Member

My comp has no prob with your first point, but I had similar issues with your second. I finally was able to beat the AI by (after many failed attempts) having 50 Astreaus' drop fabbers in a location so I could flood my planet's worth of AA units. I only had 1 friendly AI so I had to do this twice at somewhere around 3-4 hours.
  4. banaman

banaman Member

as to the teleporter, I did manage to pull that off but did not realize I would need to send in so much AA... that was kind of my fault. as to the area commands, I remembered something about that, but for the life of me an never remember what/how to do it.

as to comp not having a problem with it, I'm guessing it's because you haven't seen a lot of AI's that are on worlds by themselves. in the game I described it was a total of 9 AI's, 4 friendly, 5 enemy, of which 3 of the enemies went on a planet of there own with no friendly ai. the other 2 luckily landed on the same planet with some friendlies, leaving to planets on there own with just 2 friendly ai there. lots of ai's by itself isn't that big of a problem because they will fight each other killing off said units. when you have an ai on uncontested planet though, it just keeps building more and more units infinitely. so eventually, it will cause problems, no matter how good the computer.

honestly this kind of leaves another problem specific to multi planet starts... I think you should put in some way to make sure that the ai never lands on a planet that will leave another planet completely uncontested unless it has to (like, 1st comp lands on 1st planet choice, 2nd on 2nd, 3rd on 3rd, and so forth, until you either run out of planets or ai's) because the comp purposely just leaving a planet uncontested like that is really really bad.
  5. Devak

Devak Post Master General

teleporters do miracles. Especially since the Astraeus has ground vision.

There was a MASSIVE lag spike though as i think 300 units moved into vision at once, moving onto my gate but mass producing T2 really does help.
  6. wondible

wondible Post Master General

It's a pity replays don't show up for Galactic War. My final invasion of one the boss planets was cool -multiple large astraus drops and a teleporter going up and rolling over the entire built-up planet. Note: it happened by chance, but sending a military drop to one side of the planet can pull forces away from the opposite side for a fabber drop.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

You can use area commands to move units. You can pick up and move 100 units with a single click.

Here's how:

Mooninaut and Devak like this.
  8. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

As has been mentioned in this thread, astreus actually work ok using area commands for load/unload

as for water planets, while naval tech is ideal, the torpedo launchers have huge range and can be built fairly quick, they also do decent damage. If you're ever in a situation where you have to attack into water, you can always use your com to spam torpedo launchers and slowly push the enemy back out of the water.
  9. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Speaking of astraeus load/unload, when did we get separate buttons for each?
  10. thepastmaster

thepastmaster Active Member

It would be helpful if aircraft could use the teleporter as well. Ground AA units are slow and vounurable to the bombers so I would like to be able to send though some fighters as well.
    PeggleFrank likes this.
  11. Verios44

Verios44 New Member

I agree with the first on occasion, but not the second point.

Teleporters and area commands plus asterus solves all.

I actually enjoy the unpredictability of the mode until I tried my first game with commander, commander loadout ( 2 sub commanders and no factories). The map loaded and my first jump was a combat system. That is a true no win scenario.