1v1 Planet Variety

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, August 28, 2015.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I'm really liking the 1v1 ladder and new maps. Currently I'm Uber 11, after playing ~10 games. T2 is viable (although not as viable as it should be, still). It's almost perfect, honestly. But something is really annoying me...

Roc is the only "big map" without water. It would be really awesome to see a large forest/mountain/tropical planet with little to no water.

I think naval is being pushed really hard in the current pool.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

As always:

Set maps are boring. Let's go back to randomized maps. That way it's actually fun and there is tons of variety.
    stuart98, igncom1, destravous and 2 others like this.
  3. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Roc is the only moon with obstacles that i like.
  4. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Roc is an amazing map. And even though I hate Meso, I still think it's one of the best maps in the pool because of the wide variaty of strategies possible on that map. There is no map where scouting is more important than on Meso. I would love to see more maps like Meso but with a bit more land and or bridges so that naval is less dominant. The other big map (desert map with water and stuff) forgot the name is pretty good aswell imo. It really gives the players incentive to build more than 1 base to defend all that metal and attack from different angles.
    mered4 and xankar like this.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I want the platforms in the random generator!
    mered4 and stuart98 like this.
  6. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Check my lastest batch of 1v1 maps. They are all 500+ in radius and I try to always give at least one feature that distinguish the map from the rest.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/superouman-systems-inc.67847/#post-1107531

Lush map with tons of small rivers.
    4 distinct paths which each have their own twist
    Two simple fortresses made out of the new plateaus.
    A single ring of large pathable terrain
    A mix of water and wide plateaus (this one is less unique, i agree)

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/superouman-systems-inc.67847/#post-1107823
    A very close air but long ground distance between starting points (Never done so far, no one knows if in the end, it will be good or bad) (In which 1v1 map you can lob or pelter the enemy base from ours? :D )

Set maps can enable map specific build orders, strategies and tactics. But these maps must be done correctly, which i try to do.

Randomized maps only allow for a tiny amount of strategies. Your build order will tend to be identical in each randomized map because you will prefer the safest opening because you dont have the time to read and understand the map. You will also never get map defining terrain structures in randomized maps.
    Last edited: August 29, 2015
    elodea and rivii like this.
  7. rivii

rivii Well-Known Member

Is your mappack available on PAMM ? :)
  8. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Superouman it will only be identical for the first few minutes - and (from what I remember of the old days) there will be 3-44 preferred *builds* just like there is now. The only difference is that instead of getting super efficient at a single map, you only need to be really efficient in those first few minutes, After that , everything goes out the window.

Yes, we can get more interesting features and defining areas in premade maps, but they still get repetitive. And boring. With random maps, you'll never know what's around the next corner. So long as the random map generator doesn't produce almost-the-same map every time, it would be golden.
  9. huangth

huangth Active Member

Well, I love the Meso.
    In fact, it is a water planet.
    Many players think they can win the battle if they get the mainland, but it is wrong.
    There are only about 30 metal spot on mainland, but about 60 on ocean or other islands.
    And I have had 4+ time battles where I lost the mainland but won back by ocean.
    Though the mainland only provides the metal for early expansion, it is still needed.
    Player can't directly expand outside with navel factory beginning.

The other desert map with water, I think you are talking about the Amplus or Clutch.
    As you say it is a big map, I guess it is the Amplus.
    The river is very useful to attack the enemy base.
    And hover tanks and dox can cross the river to surprise the opponent.
    It is also very common to see player builds T2 navel unit such as battleship in the river.
    Last edited: August 30, 2015